Limelight Forums

Full Version: Faustin's Warning Appeal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I do not agree with the opinions expressed, however Faustin has asked me to post this on his behalf as he is banned (can't post) - can provide evidence if required

Your Name: Faustin

Warning ID: 595

Issued by: [L²] roxas

Reason: Spreading highly sexist views in public threads."You think that a woman has the right to kill someone else's child?" - "It's up to a woman what she wants to do with a kid she only did half of the work to create?". Take a breath and think twice or even three times about what you said there.

Why should it be removed?: I’ll start with the warning itself, roxas has quoted me with; "You think that a woman has the right to kill someone else's child?" - "It's up to a woman what she wants to do with a kid she only did half of the work to create?" (Exhibit A) I have one main problem with this. I fail to see how those two quotes are “sexist”. I am fully entitled to hold an opinion on a matter that is constantly appearing in modern politics, which is not evenly remotely “sexist”. The dictionary definition of sexism is: “prejudice[1], stereotyping[2], or discrimination[3], typically against women, on the basis of sex.” [1] By the dictionary definition, prejudice is defined as “preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.” My comments were not prejudiced, as they were in fact based on “actual experience” as shown by my response to Ben’s post (Exhibit B). [2] I have in no way stereotyped anyone with my comments, a stereotypical post would be (EXAMPLE) “Women should not be allowed to work, they should be primary caregivers to children and should be forced to stay at home to cook, clean and look after any children”. [3] I have not discriminated against anyone here. Again going to the dictionary, the definition of discrimination is: “the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.” I have not treated a woman any different to the way I would treat a man, certainly not on the Limelight forums, as the warning implies by saying I have been “sexist”.

Secondly, I’d like to point out that being pro-life does not automatically make a person “sexist”, there are plenty of women, who are pro-life. Does this make them sexist against their own gender? I’d like to show you an article written by Austin Holley (Exhibit C), he wrote a very interesting article called “The Pro-life Movement Isn’t About Sexism”. This article was written for “The Emory Wheel” an independent student-run newspaper based at Emory University in Georgia. He writes “It’s also important to understand why pro-lifers oppose abortion. It is not because of sexism. As a pro-lifer myself, I can tell you exactly why I oppose abortion: because I believe that God creates each and every child inside the womb at conception, and I believe that to end the life of any child inside the womb is murder. Simply put, I oppose killing a child inside the womb for the same reason I oppose killing a child outside the womb.” This is a statement that I whole-heartedly agree with, and thus I fail to see how my comments can be construed as “sexist”.

Penultimately, I’d like to refer to the disclaimers posted on the forums (Exhibit D) and the thread posted by Enzyme, updated by George in June 2016 (Exhibit E). In the disclaimer at the top of the forum, it clearly states “As a community we support freedom of speech”, by stating I do not agree with abortion, I am exercising my freedom of speech. My comments were not sexist, as seen in my above arguments. Enzyme’s thread further clarifies this disclaimer, he writes: “This forum was created to allow for serious discussion on topics which might otherwise be sensitive and/or controversial.” The topic at hand is indeed controversial, and my opinion even more so, being a pro-life advocate. That being said, I believe I was following the guidelines set out within this thread and have in no way violated any rules. Enzyme goes on to say “The key word in this is 'discussion'. Whilst we are happy for you to express your own opinions and views, there is a fine line between this and blatant hate-posting.” My comments were not “hate-posting”, they were my opinions, which I am free to discuss as per the guidelines set out in this very thread.

Finally, I’d like to touch onto the forum rules. There are no rules that state I am not permitted to express my opinion and I am interested in which rules you believe I have violated.

Evidence:
Exhibit A:
[Image: UpGPJWz.png]

Exhibit B:
[Image: XuSALRL.png]

Exhibit C:
https://emorywheel.com/the-pro-life-move...ut-sexism/

Exhibit D:
[Image: HunZoDD.png]
https://limelightgaming.net/forums/forum-329.html

Exhibit E:
[Image: 1amOosg.png]
https://limelightgaming.net/forums/thread-9077.html
"Someone else's child" - what you are saying here is the pregnant woman's child is not hers, implying it is entirely the man's. I hope I don't have to explain why this is wrong.

"half of the work" - See my response to this on the main thread. Once again completely disregarding the role that a woman plays in pregnancy and childbirth. It is so far removed from "half" that even suggesting it is a massive insult to mothers everywhere.

I think these comments are delusional, sad, and disrespectful, and that's just those quotes.

On that note I'm going to sleep.
Posted on behalf of Faustin, at his request.

Quote:[1]"Someone else's child" - what you are saying here is the pregnant woman's child is not hers, implying it is entirely the man's. I hope I don't have to explain why this is wrong.

[2]"half of the work" - See my response to this on the main thread. Once again completely disregarding the role that a woman plays in pregnancy and childbirth. It is so far removed from "half" that even suggesting it is a massive insult to mothers everywhere.

[3]I think these comments are delusional, sad, and disrespectful, and that's just those quotes.

I’ll respond to your points one at a time, I have labelled them in your OP above.

[1] That is your interpretation of my words, which is dead wrong. I did not mean to say, or imply for that matter, that a pregnant woman’s child is not hers. My intentions were to get the point across that it is not just her child, it is just as much the father’s child as it is the mother’s.

[2] Like point 1, that is your interpretation of my words. As I said in my original comment, which you conveniently left out when quoting me was “only did half the work to create”, the “to create” is the key part here. I am well away that during pregnancy the mother does, biologically at least, 100% of the work. However during conception it is an indisputable scientific fact that you need 1 sperm cell and 1 egg cell to form an embryo, 1 out of 2 is 50%, so my statement here is not only scientifically accurate, but in no way disrespectful. Had I said “during pregnancy the woman only does 50% of the work”, that would be a different story, but I did not.

[3] There is a key part to your statement here: “I think”, that is your personal opinion. You are fully entitled to this opinion, just as I am mine. Not only is the punishment excessive, but unnecessary. I have provided evidence that clearly stated I am entitled to post my, albeit controversial, opinion in the Serious Discussions forum.

I’d also like to link back to my final point in the appeal.
Quote:Finally, I’d like to touch onto the forum rules. There are no rules that state I am not permitted to express my opinion and I am interested in which rules you believe I have violated.

You’re yet to state which forum rule I have broken, which suggests you’re not entirely sure yourself, or that I haven’t actually violated any of the rules.

I’d also like to loop back to the “Expectations within this subforum” thread by Enzyme. He writes “The Admin team will be more lenient in this forum”, which is why I believe the punishment to be so unnecessary. If you look at the thread I posted, which Bambo closed, roxas gave me a verbal warning regarding posting multiple posts, a mistake I quickly rectified. Surely the same logic should be applied here?

I’d also like to quickly mention how my warning was issued by a member of staff that had publicly disagreed with my opinion, which leads me to believe there may be a level of bias. I believe if X members of staff had my same opinion, the warning would never have been issued. Thus I would like to request this appeal is reviewed by a member of the staff team that does not have any involvement with the thread, or a member of staff with a neutral opinion regarding the topic.
After discussion, it was decided that the warning will remain in place, as the things you said on that thread have crossed the line into sexism and disrespect, which is not something we want to see on our forums.

That said, the warning level % will be reduced, and the warning reason changed, in order to better conform with the standards we have established previously.

Note that this outcome was agreed upon by several admins who were uninvolved, including Night.