Limelight Forums

Full Version: Frequent server crashes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since a couple of days the servers crashes at least once a day, often killing the server population as a result.

It also just crashed right now. Is there any known reason behind that yet?

Guv

can confirm, server has crashed a number of times during my hospital rp. which in effect has killed it

Devs could most probably provide better information on this than i could
I have personally witnessed the server count go from ~50 down to 15 because of the crashes, big shame
I usually crash quite a bit by myself due to my shit internet but I have noticed server wide crashes a lot as well. Possibly the map is to big and to detailed that the amount of activity by players, is to much for the server to handle?
Noted it was crashing every 2 minutes when Southside was build-only, and have noted since it crashes at least once a day.
(May 11, 2020, 04:53 PM)Duckie Wrote: [ -> ]I usually crash quite a bit by myself due to my shit internet but I have noticed server wide crashes a lot as well. Possibly the map is to big and to detailed that the amount of activity by players, is to much for the server to handle?

The server was also able to handle True-North with 60 players, a map double the size of Southside.
(May 11, 2020, 06:54 PM)Nudelsalat im Panzer Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 11, 2020, 04:53 PM)Duckie Wrote: [ -> ]I usually crash quite a bit by myself due to my shit internet but I have noticed server wide crashes a lot as well. Possibly the map is to big and to detailed that the amount of activity by players, is to much for the server to handle?

The server was also able to handle True-North with 60 players, a map double the size of Southside.
Oh. Ok then. Never mind.
Well, that was a possibility when the map change happened, its up to the devs to figure out what is causing and either patch it or take any other necessary step to stop the crashes. For now we just have to wait it out.
Having it crash once in a day would be great, but that is not the case.
It seems it is crashing more frequently than that, ever since the latest Garrysmod Updates.
If I remember correctly, these crashes were already present on v4b1, after the huge Garrysmod February 2020 update.
Specs-wise (CPU, RAM, Disk) the physical dedicated server and gameserver-process perform stable without any significant load that would cause the process to abort on high pressure.

We have been investigating these crashes ever since they became more frequent,
but it is hard to pin-point the issue yet.

See: https://limelightgaming.net/forums/thread-27556.html

I still suspect our content/and or props that have started to misbehave after the recent Garrysmod updates - and or our gamemode updates.

For now all we can do is collect more information on these crashes to further catch the issue.
I remember once when we had this same issue with v4b1 (or was it Rockford ?) where props/content caused
a lot of crashes due to invalid/corrupt file paths.

Additional investigation will be conducted by having a debugger attached to the live server.
Resulting core-dumps might have more information (if the issue is non-gamemode but process related).
(May 12, 2020, 12:08 PM)Burnett Wrote: [ -> ]Having it crash once in a day would be great, but that is not the case.
It seems it is crashing more frequently than that, ever since the latest Garrysmod Updates.
If I remember correctly, these crashes were already present on v4b1, after the huge Garrysmod February 2020 update.
Specs-wise (CPU, RAM, Disk) the physical dedicated server and gameserver-process perform stable without any significant load that would cause the process to abort on high pressure.

We have been investigating these crashes ever since they became more frequent,
but it is hard to pin-point the issue yet.

See: https://limelightgaming.net/forums/thread-27556.html

I still suspect our content/and or props that have started to misbehave after the recent Garrysmod updates - and or our gamemode updates.

For now all we can do is collect more information on these crashes to further catch the issue.
I remember once when we had this same issue with v4b1 (or was it Rockford ?) where props/content caused
a lot of crashes due to invalid/corrupt file paths.

Additional investigation will be conducted by having a debugger attached to the live server.
Resulting core-dumps might have more information (if the issue is non-gamemode but process related).

Thanks for linking my thread
We have taken additional measures against those crashes and will shortly publish an annoucement.