Limelight Forums

Full Version: Nostalgia and what has happened
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear dear good people of LL.

My name is probably a mystery for some. Or people know me as 'that guy who sounds like Enzyme'. For others it is perhaps a reminder on how dictator RP can get boring as the totalitarian regime actuelly holds.

(You are very old if you remember any of these):
[Image: ?imw=1024&imh=819&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette...erbox=true] [Image: 00D8BADA6F873089822E9EE4840547A81CEFB0CC] [Image: 54DEFAEC5576A15349151060CEB6274DB84277FD]

Due to circumstances I have a little more time on my hands. And I went down memory lane. LimeLight has made its mark in my period of playing Garrysmod.

I remember playing on REDACTED. I remember the staff going on strike. And I also remember tagging along. That being a good decision.

LimeLight had a fresh breeze. From the very moment LL started, the developers of that time strived to be unique and deliver a different experience than its playersbase was used to.. Which was very succesfull.

Who remembers going down to ya boii Tyrone to shovel up some fresh cooked meth up his nose to get yourself a brand new Lamborghini?
[Image: 9BF472EB94E1759C8B68DA633A99CD318F58233E] [Image: 327375602DB53E92AD1BC5E34E31666C4FC83310]
(Getting those limited lambo's was an intense race)

This system of making money was way too overpowered. But hey, it was fun!
Just like it is fun to stuff your car into the nexus elevator and getting it stuck on the presidential floor.

[Image: A422BF7FC3A3EF9F68082D654663DA0BEE76C917]

Or banning Brynn upon his promotion.

[Image: 6A33A2C5667DD7A7213C84717A9D36E896F41FDF]
Good times....

For this time it was normal that the server was full. The police had something to hunt. The government had something to govern. The maffia had innocent shopkeepers to extort. All the while quality roleplay was maintained. 

Quality like setting your shitty house on fire for the fourth time in a row while emergency services still keep their head cool and act exceptionally professional? you should remember this one.

[Image: 314660659BA6F3CBFB93D1976B32BE3910BB40F8] [Image: BC63E9E6E1563362BAECC0047A4FE85D473974AD]

Times were good. But times has been harsh aswell. Which brings me to my next point.

What has happened?

The very low average player count is obvious, that is a symptom of a underlying cause. Why is this the case? To help us answer this question I found an old youtube video on my account. I made this video as a test for future purposes. It is of shitty quality, but don't worry, it is a hidden video. 

"You received $85 salary. $14 paid to tax"

It is made purely as a test. But what can we see? A dick shooting down the officers because he didn't agree with the checkpoint. Well... next to that. One officer decided to put up this checkpoint. And I see 10 people tagging along. One action sparks the interaction of others, how small they may be!

This is just a very vague and small example. But where are these small interactions? I remember Nudelsalat Im Panzer spending hours and hours just being a traffic officer, not to get into an exciting chase where the perp would crash his car hollywood style. No. Just to RP to in its finest detail about giving a ticket. I haven't been a lot on the server lately, but the times I was on I did not experience these small things.

The small things are the very essence upon which roleplay is built. (Doodles, 2020)

Next are events.
Upon opening the forums, I am greeted with a header of some kind of event. Cool! But what happened to the unplanned, not so huge events that happened randomly when a moderator felt like doing an event? These events reach a public that isn't that accustomed to the server yet. Which can and will tie them down to this community. Correct me if I am wrong though, but back in the day I remember a lot of these small events happening, and I haven't seen them lately. But that could most definitly be me though.

Content
I still have a pokertable in my inventory. I know it was a gamble to purchase it when it came out. But I remember that the promise was made that it would be fixed. It still isn't though. But that is not the point I wish to make. The point I wish to make is that perhaps it is time to sit back, and judge the current content on the server. Not only for whether the content is working or not, but whether it is still relevant/being used or if it is necessary. The download list is pretty long. And we do not have the large playerbase that we used to have, so it attracts less new potential members. A huge download list doesn't help that.

Lastly, I have been struggling with it ever since it was changed. The f1 menu. What happened to this hotshot?
[Image: 0E80A9CB0D37EE0B702B22EEE307BE045DA477B4]

It was fast, it was comprehensible and above all, it looked like it was a perfect diamond. Now we have a menu that takes a long time to load, does look very good on the character screen but is an absolute mess when on the market or inventory screen. It took me an age to find the toolkit for my Lambo that I just crashed for a thousenth time.

I do apologize. This looks like a "rant" or some "bashing" but that is absolutely not my intention.
I sincerly hope that people come with a good argumentation why I am talking complete shit. This is not a post made by "some worried old member" no. This was made purely to reflect on how it was used to be.

Looking at the current community as it stands today, I see a lot of new people and a nearly entirely new staff team.
I love that.
Seeing new people being devoted to ensuring a good experience here on LimeLight, makes me very happy.
I hope that my first part of this topic sparked a few laughs on people's faces. I also hope that someone can prove me wrong at the second part of my post.

LimeLight has all potential to shine once again. And it will.

Sincerly,

Noodles
Doodles
Foodles
Hey! Glad to hear you revisited us!~

Unplanned events are still a thing, and big updates on the way. Stay tuned regarding those.~
Ohhh hey Doodleh!
I remember you! Smile
I thought I was the only creative dictator Sad
(Apr 22, 2020, 09:20 AM)Luvbunny Wrote: [ -> ]Hey! Glad to hear you revisited us!~

Unplanned events are still a thing, and big updates on the way. Stay tuned regarding those.~
That is good to hear! I surely stay tuned!

(Apr 22, 2020, 11:38 AM)Mr.Sir Wrote: [ -> ]Ohhh hey Doodleh!
I remember you! Smile
How can I not remember you, you magnificent legend.

(Apr 22, 2020, 02:31 PM)Insert Wrote: [ -> ]I thought I was the only creative dictator Sad
I am pretty sure that I do not own a patent on being a creative dictator Wink
That would be a certain painter from 1936.
Too many dumb rules, let people roleplay. The server is too sterile. 

I enjoy hopping on every couple years for a few minutes but then I remember there's only 2 people on in my timezone, then when I try to do anything fun people start complaining, and there's like 50000 micro-rules policing everything I do.

Remove all rules besides these:

- You must role play your job title
- Listen to the admins, their word is final
- Everyone is trying to have fun and roleplay, if you are deemed to be disrupting fun or roleplay, you will be punished
- This is a roleplay server, if you're not here to roleplay, leave

As an admin I used to literally turn the entire city into a warzone, spawn combine, drop weapons and straight up drop bombs from the sky. Was it unrealistic, 100% yes, did the vast majority of people enjoy it - yes, because it was fun and people could roleplay. If there were like under 10 people on the server the admins used to just do funny stupid shit, spawn random carnival dupes, giant ramps for cars, just f around and hangout. Now they'd get a report and be suspended. 

There was a turning point, where you can really no longer do stuff like that because everyone complains. "Oh you're ruining my police roleplay", "oh you're unfairly disrupting my chef kitchen". Instead of adjusting to the roleplay scenario, you had complainers. Then events got more and more sparse, and then it was like "well you can only have an event on the event server" which basically killed the idea of a server-wide RP event because you can't effectively split up the population like that.

This was a shift in the culture of City RP, especially for LimeLight. Things started really shifting towards a more serious tone with stricter guidelines on everything.

Oh, someone complained that an RP event was hosted during peak server hours and it interrupted their chef roleplay and they made a report about it. We'll need to implement restrictions on when events can be hosted. Oh, someone filed a complaint that a dictator RP ruined their family roleplay, we'll need to make a rule about that too. Like look at some of these rules, what the actual f?

10.5 - Secret Service Agents guard the president. They must not patrol or attend raids unless the president’s life is in danger. If the president/vice president both leave the game or change jobs, the secret service agents must return to and guard the Town Hall.

What? This rule alone actually ruins the entire secret service job, why are you telling people how they should roleplay a job?

[font=Roboto, sans-serif,]10.8 - You require admin permission to become a dictator as President.[/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif,]That rule is a complete joke, really? Way to ruin all the potential fun.[/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif,][font=Roboto, sans-serif,]11.1 - You need a valid reason to raid the President (or anyone else). Do not raid the president for money, because of high taxes, because you don’t like certain laws (unless they drastically impact your character), or as retaliation for being arrested by the police due to your own actions. Before raiding the president, you need to show that you have attempted and exhausted the possibility of a peaceful resolution. You need to have an appropriate underground job set via /job before raiding anyone – don’t raid as the default “Citizen” job without using /job first.[/font][/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif,][font=Roboto, sans-serif,]You must attempt a peaceful negotiation before raiding, oh my god I'm literally asleep reading these. What sort of complaints made this a rule?[/font][/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif,][font=Roboto, sans-serif,][font=Roboto, sans-serif,]12.3 - Do not FailRP. Car thieves need chop-shops, and burglars need places to store their stolen goods. Proper background RP draws the line between crime and rule-breaking.[/font][/font][/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif,][font=Roboto, sans-serif,][font=Roboto, sans-serif,]Why? People in real life steal cars and take joy rides all the time, they steal cars and drive them around because they can. Why is this rule a thing, because one guy complained his car got stolen?[/font][/font][/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif,][font=Roboto, sans-serif,]3.1 - Your character needs to have a valid in-character reason for their actions, especially ones that harm or otherwise affect other players. The action needs to be appropriate to the reason e.g massacring the entire police force is not an appropriate response to being hit with a baton by a single corrupt officer.[/font][/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif,][font=Roboto, sans-serif,]Why? People do crazy shit all the time. They get hit by a baton and go after the entire police force, now you have a city wide roleplay because you have a mentally unstable man on a rampage. [/font][/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif,][font=Roboto, sans-serif,]Let me tell you all why the server population is so low, it's because no one over the last however-many-years has had the balls to stand up to the few players who have cried and whined. Instead of telling people, tough shit, your car got randomly stolen - it happens. Or, get over the fact the roleplay event ruined your chef roleplay, turn your restaurant into a safe-haven against the apocalypse. Limelight created a rule for every single possible unfair situation in roleplay. The result is a very vanilla, safe and boring experience. While the vast majority of players were having fun enjoying the roleplay event, one player complained. A rule was created for the one player. While the vast majority of people enjoy the thrill of a dictator, one player complained it was ruining their night. A rule was created. It went on and on and on.[/font][/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif,][font=Roboto, sans-serif,]In real life, there are dictators. There are people who steal cars randomly. There are corrupt cops. There are secret service who patrol the streets. There are so many things that you all have restricted, that happen all the time in real life.[/font][/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif,][font=Roboto, sans-serif,]It's kind of impressive but you guys have managed to make so many rules and create such a serious culture, that your gamemode is actually more boring than real life. [/font][/font]
2013.05.25. The Golden Age

[Image: jsNKr0r.jpg]
[Image: T1vcS8j.jpg]
(May 17, 2020, 04:59 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]

Sorry for the necropost. Someone filmed this scene and posted it onto youtube as a part of something else. Does anyone have this?
(Feb 22, 2021, 11:54 PM)Doodleh Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 17, 2020, 04:59 PM)Markus Wrote: [ -> ]

Sorry for the necropost. Someone filmed this scene and posted it onto youtube as a part of something else. Does anyone have this?

Have what exactly?