Limelight Forums

Full Version: Law Enforcement Making Up Laws
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(Mar 30, 2020, 12:40 PM)Nudelsalat im Panzer Wrote: [ -> ]At limelight, a police officer gets shot with a M14 Battle Rifle for pulling over someone driving 150mph trough mainstreet.
At limelight, 90% of criminals have access to military-grade weapons.
At limelight, 90% of citizens break laws on a regular basis.
At limelight, you need an assault rifle out the entire time, otherwise, you will get shot, hostaged or killed for performing entirely normal stuff.
At limelight, you need an assault rifle out the entire time, otherwise, people will simply not listen to you as there are no consequences but to wait a maximum of 15 minutes.
At limelight, the people do not care if they get killed or not, making shootings a normal occurrence every 2 minutes on a full server.

I highly doubt that one can compare real-life LEO procedures to a place like limelight nor are officers on LL to be blamed for their behavior most of the time.

Honestly I disagree with about 95% of this. 

When I use my class, I use a glock and a less-lethal shotgun. I haven’t once been taken hostage, or anything like it. I understand this happens to some cops, but here are a few counterpoints.

Some situations require you to have a heavier weapon in your hand, sure. You have to be able to recognize the difference however. Otherwise, you are “that cop” who walks up to the window of your traffic stop with a rifle. 

I have seen officers get held hostage. Want to know what all of them had in common? They thought they could handle the situation alone. It’s like, for whatever reason, people think backup is some sort of sign of weakness. For instance, you walking into the club by yourself, when you knew there were most people. 

When I pull somebody over, I look for occupants. If the car had over one occupant, I’m calling a backup unit. If the driver is acting sketchy, backup unit. 

People aren’t listing to you? Use force. If it breaks FearRP call staff. 

Also, no. 90% of the citizens don’t break the law. Part of the reason I love this server is because there is so much opportunity for civilian Roleplay. I’ve seen shops, USPS, restaurants, amusement park rides, tow services, etc. 

As for access to weapons, I’ve honestly seen a wide variety. Sure, some people have more powerful weapons, but I’ve also gone against pistols, knives, cars, bottles, etc. And as for going against higher grade weapons, glocks can honestly do the trick. Any weapon can, if you play it smart. If you rush in there, yeah, you’re gonna get killed. If you take cover, and make an actual action plan, chances are you will come out on top. Even if you’re killed as a cop, oh well. It’s gonna happen. 

Finally, like I’ve said before, I don’t think that everybody in the server should memorize case law. My statement was simply pointing out how it would work in the real world, and what’s currently happening here. I did that to show the massive difference.
(Mar 30, 2020, 10:21 PM)Catfish Wrote: [ -> ]Some situations require you to have a heavier weapon in your hand, sure. You have to be able to recognize the difference however. Otherwise, you are “that cop” who walks up to the window of your traffic stop with a rifle. 

Any stop on a tinted bmw i8 amirite
Since MCSO was mentioned a couple times here, I’ll speak out. 

For starters: no I am not an actual police officer. I have had that question asked of me a few times since I have been a part of MCSO. I cannot speak for real-life policies, procedures, or similar. I am not a police officer. I work with police officers, however I personally am not one. 

The level of realism MCSO has while on shift (cause our discord is a mess I’ll be the first to admit it) is up there, but it’s still something I’d like to work on a bit more. Very rarely you have someone come in who’s just your standard “I’m gonna arrest you but I don’t know why” officers. 

(Spoiler alert for y’all in MCSO, expect to see some new policies coming from Sheriff d**khead <3)

In terms of filing reports, I speak for MCSO (and I believe MSP if I’m not mistaken?) when I say that we have a functioning IA system. Catfish, you know why I’m saying this, but that thing is going to be investigated. 

All in all, I don’t think it’s the fault of the playerbase for not being good LEOs. I think, if anything, it’s a result from seeing other players doing it. 

I’m not saying there is anything wrong with the occasional corrupt/improper arrest for Roleplay purposes, but when it becomes a standard, it’s time to take the newer players (especially those you see doing it!) under your wing to try and correct them. That’s just my 2¢ on the subject..
Raise the hour requirement to 10 for PD, 15 for Chief etc, just so that we at least get less of the "fuckyouI'macop" policing
Welcome to Limelight.
(Apr 1, 2020, 11:49 AM)Montyfatcat Wrote: [ -> ]Raise the hour requirement to 10 for PD, 15 for Chief etc, just so that we at least get less of the "fuckyouI'macop" policing

Not really, there's plenty of those cops with hundreds and thousands of hours.

A whitelisted system with proper training is the only way to go. As someone who runs an ARMA 3 light milsim unit, the difference between people who've just joined, and those who've been through (admittedly, only a few hours) of training is night and day.
(Apr 1, 2020, 12:48 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 1, 2020, 11:49 AM)Montyfatcat Wrote: [ -> ]Raise the hour requirement to 10 for PD, 15 for Chief etc, just so that we at least get less of the "fuckyouI'macop" policing

A whitelisted system with proper training is the only way to go. As someone who runs an ARMA 3 light milsim unit, the difference between people who've just joined, and those who've been through (admittedly, only a few hours) of training is night and day.

is this a hint towards you accepting the police whitelist system suggestion?! Big Grin
(Apr 1, 2020, 01:48 PM)BasicallyMental Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 1, 2020, 12:48 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]

is this a hint towards you accepting the police whitelist system suggestion?! Big Grin

yes. ill accept the suggestion which was accepted a year and a half ago
https://limelightgaming.net/forums/thread-21069.html

big thonks
(Apr 1, 2020, 02:36 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 1, 2020, 01:48 PM)BasicallyMental Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 1, 2020, 12:48 PM)Doctor Internet Wrote: [ -> ]Not really, there's plenty of those cops with hundreds and thousands of hours.

yes. ill accept the suggestion which was accepted a year and a half ago
https://limelightgaming.net/forums/thread-21069.html

big thonks

oh boi, how long till this is added to the to do list D:
year and a half is a long time agooooo
and we need it ; )
I myself do a lot of police RP on the server and when it comes to laws, I know that I, along with my fellow trusted officers use the general known laws from real life, even if they are not in the perma-laws. As the perma-laws don't specify every law in existence, we simply have to go off our knowledge of law and criminal justice. I'm sorry to hear that there are officers that are doing that to you but keep in mind, we are doing our best. 

Also, the fake laws may be coming from the officers if they have been given permission by an admin to be corrupted. Being a corrupted officer can indeed lead to false arrests and fake laws.

Again, I'm sorry there are officers treating you like that. I hope you continue playing on the server in a good and happy environment.
i got arrested for fucking punching people and threatening people, completely madeup, completely random. it is what is is
(Apr 17, 2020, 10:24 PM)MrTibo Wrote: [ -> ]i got arrested for fucking punching people and threatening people, completely madeup, completely random. it is what is is
I mean totally that’s not Assault and Harassment lmao
whitelisted.
police.
pls.
the default laws could also use some work as they allow for arrest for insulting which is silly imo as that's far from realistic

Apex

limelight will never stop people who play in the LEO role abusing their powers, it's impossible. There isn't any real risk or repercussions for doing it; it's the same with the crime side of roleplay on the server.
Pages: 1 2 3