Limelight Forums

Full Version: 79918 Blacklist Appeal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Your Name: [font=Roboto, sans-serif][L²:RP] oobrie[/font]

Issued by: [font=Roboto, sans-serif][L²:M] D3ST in agreement with [font=Roboto, sans-serif][b][L²:M] Ketchup & [font=Roboto, sans-serif][b][L²] Pinky[/b][/font][/b][/font][/font]

Blacklist ID: 79918

Server: v4b1

Why should you be unblacklisted?:

BACKGROUND
This is a challenge to the Blacklist ID 79918. This blacklist was issued under the grounds "Ordering a hit on a member of the government without dictatorship permission."
This blacklist was issued following a lengthy course of RP involving Brooke (I don't know his forum name)‍, ‍, ‍, ‍, and possibly more.

The RP started with an in-character strike of the Paramedic Services, being ran by the Mercy Hospital Clan. The strike was called by Brooke and was called under the grounds that paramedics were not being properly protected whilst on duty. Brook came to the Nexus on his character Alec Blair and spoke to the President John Hancock (Montyfatcat) and the Vice President Antonia Vedici (Me). Here, the grievances of the paramedic were listened to and RP conducted to reach a resolution. The strike, which had ceased ALL paramedic responses to emergency and non-emergency called, was brought to an end following agreement between the Government and Alec Blair.

The President and Vice President later spoke with Dr. James Jones (Guv) and found that Alec Blair, whilst a member of Mercy Hospital, had no right to call a strike and had destabilised the city with the lack of paramedic availability. In-character, all three characters labelled this as an 'Act of Terror'. Following this meeting, James Jones agreed to take action but John Hancock and Antonia Vedici, seemingly unsatisfied, took matters into their own hands.

A hit was placed onto Alec Blair with two organisations; The Genovese Crime Family via. Joseph Genovese (Dutch), and Weyland Yutani via. Jack Kruger (JudgeRage). After co-ordination from Antonia Vedici between Joseph Genovese and Jack Kruger, Alec Blair ended up at the mercy of the Genovese Crime Family. Under instructions from Antonia Vedici, the crime family stole a pen and medical gloves from Mercy Hospital with Dr James Jones' DNA on it and used these to compromise the weapon which would be used to kill Alec Blair, as well as dousing Alec Blair himself with James Jones' DNA. Alec Blair was killed, and the body kept and refrigerated. 

Using this leverage, Antonia Vedici blackmailed James Jones into allowing a Genovese Crime Family Higher Up to enter employment with Mercy Hospital as a Union Boss, with full access to a fat pension pot, as well as the power to call industrial action to pressure politicians.

CASE
I argue that the decision to impose a Blacklist was the incorrect decision under the following grounds:
1. There is no provision in the CityRP2 Rules that prevents a President: dictator, corrupt or clean, from placing a hit on any person.
2. There is no provision in the CityRP2 Rules that stipulates a President must request permission to be corrupt.
3. The hit placed was valid, as Antonia Vedici is an established CityRP character with RP background involvement to the Genovese Crime Family, and an interest to better their position of power in the city [Evidence 1]. The hit was placed with extensive RP background across multiple people, within multiple organisations, with a set, determined goal in mind. Though Brooke had previously disconnected, he confirmed via. private messaging that Alec Blair had the same memories as he did prior to disconnecting, and did not want NLR to apply. [Evidence 2.a, 2.b]
4. A CORRUPT President is not the same as a DICTATOR President

Antonia Vedici has been developed and written as a compromised politician with habit to overspend, and rely on Mafia contacts to deal with work she cannot dispatch the Police to deal with. Her backstory is written to heavily involve her with the Genovese Crime Family in particular. 
She is a corrupt politician, and acted fully like one, by calling a hit to further her and the crime family's gain, and doing so in a clandestine, concealed manner to avoid detection by the Police, lest she be arrested under her own laws. This is in full compliance with rule 3.1 "Your character must have a valid, in-character reason for their actions."

Rule 11.3 states: "You may be corrupt, but only if it does not directly endanger the lives of officers or civilians."

No officer or civilian's life was directly endangered by this endeavour. This was a clear-set action taken to use the death of, who could reasonably be described as, a corrupt Union rep impersonator, who called an illicit strike to further their own IC agenda, to benefit a caste of characters. The paramedic who was killed should be considered a criminal, as the acts they took to further their IC gain were criminal. Staff accept the concept that a president may order the hit of another government official, even if not corrupt/criminal, provided they are a dictator. A corrupt politician should be able to do the same. This is a realistic and believable RP. [Evidence 3]

A corrupt president is not a dictator president. The main difference being, a corrupt president may still be arrested by the Police Force if they are in breach of EvoCity laws, which has happened many times in the past. A police force may not revolt against a dictator president or attempt an arrest. There exists no stipulation that a President, or Vice President, must obtain staff permission to act as a corrupt president for their own gain.
A corrupt president must maintain the appearance of abiding by the law to their Citizens, and to their Employees.
A dictator president need not maintain such a facade, as they are above the law they write.

Other players on the server, who have sympathies to other clans, have been known to turn a blind-eye to the assassinations of other players / civilians, even kidnapping and abductions for unethical experiments. This is an example of a Corrupt President that is directly endangering the life of a civilian, though in these cases, it has never went punished. I did not endanger the life of a civilian. I endangered the life of a fraudulent Union representative.

Evidence:
Evidence 1: Character Bio 
Evidence 2.a: Screenshot 1 of 2 Messaging Brooke to confirm no NLR applies.
Evidence 2.b: Screenshot 2 of 2 Messaging Brooke to confirm no NLR applies.
Evidence 3: Example of Corrupt Politicians working with Mafia

Other Evidence: Filtered chat logs from , showing only text chat from D3ST, Ketchup, Dutch and Oobrie

Sources:
CityRP2 Rules
Rule Clarifications Record & Q/A
The staff-members have received your unblacklist-request, Oobrie.

It will take a while for it to be reviewed.
*Involved*

Quick question if this would be approved would that mean my warning will be removed as well?
Cause that would mean my action as a ''hitman'' would be valid correct?

Guv

*Involved* - leader of the clan this RP evolved around

i joined some time after this incident took place as to where this "strike" happened so i had no idea what was going on ingame till my deputy director ‍ made me aware something had went down when he was on shift earlier.

as soon as i got on shift i was almost immediately called up the pres office, where we had a discussion about the matter. from this meeting i was going to take action against brooke from the information that i had gathered from the presidency.

so when brooke eventually joins. And after a short surgery. pres calls me up to the office again. which is where the blackmailing takes place, and im informed that brooke is getting taken to a WY-SEC discipline camp. furthering that, i had Stephen to contact Judge Rage about it to get some information about it. and it appeared he knew nothing of it 

In My Overall Opinion. what Brooke did was wrong and should of been left to me and Stephen to be dealt with

getting a WY-SEC camp involved was a bit too far, and ordering a hit on one of my members of staff is just out of order completely.
Hiya Guv,

The ‘camp’ was misdirection spun by the President John Hancock. It was always the intention for Alec Blair to be killed, and for your character to be blackmailed ICly. Hancock and Vedici has the respective interests:
1) Having a ‘plant’ in the Union to disrupt any further industrial action 
2) Having a made man in the Union to ICly divert pension pot funds and use strikes to pressure any future President

I’m sorry you feel it was out of order. I disagree as there was an extensive amount of RP background that went into making the decision and in carrying it out.

From what you’ve posted, I understand you disagree with the IC reason.

I understand the staff’s implementation of the blacklist as enforcement of an Ergo hoc propter hoc that boils down to:
“Dictator presidents further their own agenda. Corrupt presidents further their own agenda. A dictator president is always corrupt. A corrupt president is always a dictator.”

Which is what I disagree with.

I hope you understand this wasn’t anyone trying to take an internal matter in your clan into their own hands - it was a very long, involved roleplay which Brooke’s character was at the centre of.
I can confirm I was the one who got the ball rolling on the hit. I was roleplaying as a president who saw worker's rights as a rather irritating obstacle in his interests, and that the EMS making an impromptu union was something considerably unacceptable to me. We had spent a good 2 hours roleplaying holding ourselves back from crushing the strike with WY mercenaries, even having a debate split between me using voice chat and Oobrie using text chat. Our original plan was to have WY as protection officers for the EMS, and then for that we would have a permanent control over them and then we could wind back their other rights. When Guv said he was going to deal with the strikers internally and that we don't need to employ WY, it threw a spanner in the works as I had already promised a contract of some sort to ‍ and he was getting impatient, telling me "Not to fuck him around". Now, because my character is supposed to be experienced with how WY act with blackmail and such, I naturally needed to give him something to do, so when the name of the striking EMS was given to me, I hatched a plan to benefit me in multiple ways, getting rid of the irritating trade unionist and then saving my own skin from a WY blackmail campaign.

Either way, this isn't Oobrie's fault really, and I'm, perfectly happy to take on the blacklist if it gets his removed in the process.
I don’t think anyone’s at fault Monty. There was a lot at play in the RP and the chat logs from the show the staff are content that the RP background was considerable and adequate.

It’s important that a distinction is made between a “dictator” president and a “corrupt” president. At present, only one requires permission. 

The decision for any blacklist seems to have been made on the  grounds that my character acted as a dictator president without permission. 

I am challenging that by saying my character acted as a corrupt president. 

I don’t think anyone should have a Blacklist / Warning resulting from this, least of all you.
Hello Oobrie,

After careful considerations and discussions, we have decided that a blacklist for this situation was not suitable. Apologies for any inconvenience caused by this.

Thanks.
Approved.

Blacklist removed from record, warning for Dutch also removed.
Thanks for the quick resolution all