Limelight Forums

Full Version: Chicago Map (An Old Project)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As ya'll may or may not know. I've always had a interest in computer modelling, 3D animation and environments. 
And in that time, I went through a phase where I made Source maps. In particular, a map based in Chicago (no where specific, rather various buildings I just recreated from street view and had placed in no particular order). 

The difference between mine and other maps are the optimisation methods and density. Maps like Rockford, true north and evocity use the tried and tested method of hiding segments of the map behind the skybox, the skybox typically following the path of cliff faces. 

Its very good, as far as optimisation goes. I can't fault it. However, its restrictive. Down below, are some screenshots of my map. (I will post some of my New York map which show a 3D skybox since I never started the 3D skybox on the Chicago map).

[Image: 02B81BA9552FD3043BED859E6DAF1E0773B4E0F3]
[Image: 5C58E0E5573CEFE7CBAFB13EE298BB0AD6749306]
[Image: 095920A7E4849F1EF5A525B2910777F986FAFC88][Image: A6E110200835EAC6CB1929207DFEFACD522F26EB][Image: 7CB6AE33B3581415096EEEED8A83CC4E2FF862F6]
[Image: 67D7AF5A2BE64EA7331D06C22DA410C613EC21AE][Image: 0A05088F04D1E4CCACEE988EDCFC671F3EAA011D][Image: CFB1F1EEF4CDEFBCF619D39B7CDC034498CE5D07]

Optimisation 

How well can a map like this be optimised? Compared to other maps? Well, quite well. Source uses a simple technique of line of sight. If you can't see something, then it wont render it. Can this, to a degree be exploited? Yes. All my maps were made on a grid system (Like how New York has blocks). With buildings hiding other blocks. 

So effective it is; this map. My closest to completion map which was a New York styled map averaged 200 FPS on my system. With stress tests bringing it down to about 120 FPS before I even added to the optimisation (Door and window optimisations, no draw areas etc) 

It's similar to how Paralake works. 

Edit: I thought I'd add, I also used larger non accessible, low detailed buildings for optimisation. 

[Image: 8EEA5267B25A4C496E8E8C60F9D3AAF9A47CE1B0]

It's unclear if I will ever get back to making these maps. I have them in a, less than desirable state (I am missing some content which would need to be fixed/found/replaced).

But I thought I'd share these maps, as recently people have been talking about their distaste towards EvoCity. 

I also suggest checking out EvoCity 3 which recently started development again.

Edit 2: I thought I'd also add, a answer to a question I got a lot. 

"Since it's a RP map, being this small and dense, it doesn't leave much room for people to escape/hide" 

[Image: giphy.gif]

This is something I thought about a lot, and something I truly loved about this map is - You can ditch your car anywhere and make for a better on foot chase. There is also random garages, storage units and places you can actually park your car. Every building also has an entrance and rear exit, every building has roof access, every alley way connects to another alley way. There is no dead ends. It better resembles the options a person running has in real life.

Also for dupe lovers, the interiors remain largely empty. Meaning you can make any building into whatever you want. Be it a drug den or a supermarket.
Very sexy and very well done!

Make a map for Limelight pls :3
(Jan 20, 2020, 07:27 PM)Insert Wrote: [ -> ]Very sexy and very well done!

Whilst custom maps are cool, I doubt it would work. Look at what happened to Fearless, they used a custom map and their playercount dropped massively. Custom maps can deter new people.
(Jan 20, 2020, 09:30 PM)Faustin Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jan 20, 2020, 07:27 PM)Insert Wrote: [ -> ]Very sexy and very well done!

Whilst custom maps are cool, I doubt it would work. Look at what happened to Fearless, they used a custom map and their playercount dropped massively. Custom maps can deter new people.

I second that. As much as I'd love to make a custom map, its so time consuming and again. It would probably end LimeLight as we know it. Lmfao

Apex

(Jan 20, 2020, 09:30 PM)Faustin Wrote: [ -> ]InsertVery sexy and very well done!

did you see their "custom map"....splicing 4 different maps into a weird gmod rp lovechild was clapped from the start.