Limelight Forums

Full Version: Firefighter AMA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I am kinda hopping onto the trend here...

For those who don't know, I am a volunteer firefighter in a medium-sized suburban town near New York City (less than an hour away).

Have any questions you wanted to ask a firefighter? Go ahead. I'll be here.

Pat

What is it like to be a firefighter?
Do you enjoy your job?
Does it involve lots of physical effort, doesn't that tire you out?
What made you want to become a firefighter?
Before joining staff, ever have to d/c to avoid an RP situation because of a call?
What is the go-to show/sport that the guys watch during down time at the station?
(Oct 24, 2019, 02:54 AM)Orion Wrote: [ -> ]What is it like to be a firefighter?
In a word (or three): Fun but Serious. When someone calls the fire department, they're already having a bad day. Best we can possibly do is show up and make it better.
Do you enjoy your job?
I wouldn't trade it for the world. 
Does it involve lots of physical effort, doesn't that tire you out?
Depends on the call. Your run off the mill activated fire alarm, not really. A 3rd alarm residential structure fire is a different story.
What made you want to become a firefighter?
My dad did it, his dad did it..I guess it was just kinda in my blood as corny as that sounds.
Before joining staff, ever have to d/c to avoid an RP situation because of a call?
"Avoid an RP situation"? Not really. Interrupt one, yes, however everyone was very understanding when I explained to them that I had a fire call and most told me to be safe and go get em brother.
(Oct 24, 2019, 03:15 AM)Dan Wrote: [ -> ]What is the go-to show/sport that the guys watch during down time at the station?

It all depends on the crew at the building and the time of year. For example, right now it's Monday night football after drills, hockey if it's on after meetings. However, most guys on my department will agree that if nothing else is on that kinda grabs us, Impractical Jokers is the go-to show.
Do you get to play with the fun toys (jaws of life, other pneumatic shit)?
Do they give the volunteer high school kids pagers or whatever other device?
What percentage Italian is ur FD?
(Oct 24, 2019, 03:47 AM)Hungames Wrote: [ -> ]Do you get to play with the fun toys (jaws of life, other pneumatic shit)?
"Play with"...not so much. Work with, yes. I was working with them on the side of the highwayu yesterday for an MVA.
Do they give the volunteer high school kids pagers or whatever other device?
My department does, yes. Can't speak for others though.
What percentage Italian is ur FD?
My company really only has 2-3 Italians out of 32 members, 16 of which are active (yes I know, low manpower, and what makes it great is 8 of those 16 are purely drivers).
How did you fit though the hole when you did the wall breach???
do you pose in calendar photos
(Oct 24, 2019, 05:55 PM)Dan Wrote: [ -> ]How did you fit though the hole when you did the wall breach???

Very carefully. My SCBA got caught on a pipe so
(Oct 24, 2019, 06:58 PM)Bambo Wrote: [ -> ]do you pose in calendar photos

My department? Full of fat guys? Yea...no.
(Oct 24, 2019, 10:33 PM)Reebs Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct 24, 2019, 05:55 PM)Dan Wrote: [ -> ]How did you fit though the hole when you did the wall breach???

by scba you mean man titty right?
(Oct 25, 2019, 06:27 AM)Dan Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct 24, 2019, 10:33 PM)Reebs Wrote: [ -> ]

by scba you mean man titty right?

Nah actually my SCBA. The story is quite amusing actually, what happened was after my SCBA got caught I started panicking. Instructor looks at me and says “calm down you’re starting to panic”. I look at him dead in the eyes and go “is it really that obvious sir?”

To make the rest of that story short, I eventually made it through.