Limelight Forums

Full Version: Teacher AMA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey!

So my name is Milan and I teach biology on a high school in the Netherlands. If you have any questions regarding my job feel free to ask them below!

Pat

How do you deal with students who misbehave?
Are you a teacher that is harsh with discipline?
What is it like being a teacher?
That really depends on the student and the relation that you have with them. It is more easy with students that you had in earlier years. We’ve got this called red card. If the students misbehaves to an extreme matter we can send them to a teamleader. I usually try to avoid using such matters. Most of the time a very strict glance at them is enough. If that does not work I find it important to adress the behaviour and stress that is wrong. 

I don’t see myself as a strict teacher at all. But I set very clear boundries for my students, and they are well aware of these boundries. I usually don’t have to punish the behaviour, instead I adress the rules. If they do not follow my rules they will receive a warning. Besides that I try to use as much humor in my teaching as I can!

Being a teacher is a very fun job, it is entertaining but also very exhausting work. Not phiscally but mentally. Students can sometimes really work on your nerves and they will try to test you. But most of the time I have a lot of fun with the students. I love to prank my students a lot. Smile

I hope that answers your questions!

Eddie

Do you think biology is your students favourite subject? Because for me it wasn't the worst yet it wasn't the best.
(Oct 23, 2019, 09:37 PM)Eddie Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think biology is your students favourite subject? Because for me it wasn't the worst yet it wasn't the best.

I don't expect all of my students to like the subject, because that is just not possible. The job of a good teacher is to make a subject interesting to students even though they are not into it. I try to do this with getting items from my and their personal life. This makes it a lot more interesting for them because it is recoqnizable. When they have seen a trending item on the news for example they are able to talk about the subject alongside with me. This way you are forming a classtalk, which is a fun way to teach!

Apex

what was it like getting demoted for not giving the mono-rail secrets?
(Oct 24, 2019, 12:35 AM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]what was it like getting demoted for not giving the mono-rail secrets?

You sir, are a troll

Love you though <3

Apex

(Oct 24, 2019, 12:27 PM)Admiral. Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct 24, 2019, 12:35 AM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]what was it like getting demoted for not giving the mono-rail secrets?

You sir, are a troll

Love you though <3
you are a thief of joy
Craziest story from your classroom?
(Oct 24, 2019, 03:28 PM)Reebs Wrote: [ -> ]Craziest story from your classroom?

I love this question ‍!
One day I was teaching this second year class in a different classroom in the school. This class was so huge, it had like 32 students in it, so it was always like a horrible job to assign everyone seats. Simply because there was not enough chairs and tables. So I was missing like 2 of my students, because strangely enough there was plenty of room for all students. So I was asking everyone where the two boys were. The system said they were present at school. So I just filled in that they were not present at my class. After 15 minutes in my lecture a heard like a noise coming from a sort of locker closet that was standing in the back of the room. So I walked over and knocked on the closet. I could hear the giggling from within the locker. I just acted like I was crazy and pretended I didn't hear anything. After that I picked up a table and put it in front of the doors of the locker and continued giving my lecture. After like 5 minutes of them trying to get out I pretended to be like: "Huh, do you guys hear that noise? No? Must be nothing then.". And the whole class like acted along with it. After 10 minutes I left the boys out... does this make me a horrible teacher? We're still laughing at them when they are near a closet. That was a fun day.... Smile
(Oct 24, 2019, 06:04 PM)Admiral. Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct 24, 2019, 03:28 PM)Reebs Wrote: [ -> ]Craziest story from your classroom?

I love this question ‍!
One day I was teaching this second year class in a different classroom in the school. This class was so huge, it had like 32 students in it, so it was always like a horrible job to assign everyone seats. Simply because there was not enough chairs and tables. So I was missing like 2 of my students, because strangely enough there was plenty of room for all students. So I was asking everyone where the two boys were. The system said they were present at school. So I just filled in that they were not present at my class. After 15 minutes in my lecture a heard like a noise coming from a sort of locker closet that was standing in the back of the room. So I walked over and knocked on the closet. I could hear the giggling from within the locker. I just acted like I was crazy and pretended I didn't hear anything. After that I picked up a table and put it in front of the doors of the locker and continued giving my lecture. After like 5 minutes of them trying to get out I pretended to be like: "Huh, do you guys hear that noise? No? Must be nothing then.". And the whole class like acted along with it. After 10 minutes I left the boys out... does this make me a horrible teacher? We're still laughing at them when they are near a closet. That was a fun day.... Smile

lmfao if you did that in America u would go to jail