Limelight Forums

Full Version: GameStop Employee AMA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ask me all your dirty questions about GameStop. I'll answer the ones I can. I'm here to educate and figure out why people don't like GameStop as it seems it comes from lack of knowledge of their business practices or poor service (Which is a problem in every company. Only reason people are loud about it with GameStop is because people like to rage about GameStop).

Plz no flames.
Why do they lowball people so much?
(Sep 24, 2019, 06:33 PM)Montyfatcat Wrote: [ -> ]Why do they lowball people so much?

Gamestop is a pawnshop. Most people when they come in expect their Xbox 360 Madden 12 to sell for (realistically) $10-15, when in reality you're getting maybe a few cents. This is because we're basing it off of:

Popularity: What's the demographic for this? Are the reviews good? What are our competitors and popular sites selling it for? An example is Fallout 76. The first few days of relase it was still a $30 trade in deal, but as the reviews came in, we tanked the price from $60 to buy, to $30-20. This led to the trade in value being low, bringing it to about $10. Once it gained more updates, it raised in price, and so did the trade value

Rarity: How many were made? This one is pretty simple and affects retro more than current systems. An excellent example is NCAA 14. It was the last college football game to be made and it goes for $60-100 depending on where you go. We sell it for $70, so the trade in value is probably around $20-30.

Condition: Does it look like it can work? If not, we take a $5 refurb fee and send it to a facility to repair and resell. The game may work for you, but we have no system to test it on. The best thing to do when trading in with us is asking "Would I buy this game in this condition?"

Now, we are also taking a risk of buying your game. You can make a LOT more money if you sell it yourself, but if you go through a company such as GameStop or 2nd & Charles, we offer to buy it off you without guaranteeing a sale, advertise and market it, and handle repairs or additional assets needed for the item. (Not to mention security and records for stolen property)

Another point is that we don't make a lot on new games. Borderlands 3 is sold for $60. We make maybe $7 of that. A pre-owned game however is a lot more lucrative for us. A $60 used game can be $30-35 for GameStop. 

TL : DR We buy stuff cheap because that's where GameStop makes a lot of its money and it takes a lot of hassle out of selling it yourself. If you want to go through the effort of selling it yourself, you can make more money if you find a buyer.

I have a lot of respect for you

Pat

Can I dive in your dumpster?
(Sep 24, 2019, 07:37 PM)Pat Wrote: [ -> ]Can I dive in your dumpster?

I'm gonna give u the same D A M N answer homie.

If you ask and are good about not making a mess yes. Or just ask if we have any free stuff in the back. GameStop has to destroy everything we put in the trash before hand to avoid dumpster divers.

I basically have to deal with lots of people, from parents that can control their child's spending to some teeange dudes getting a gift for their friend that said we gave them "Chik-fil-a level" customer service (Which is a big compliment for where I'm at).

I'm good at my job and I help others, so my team and I enjoy working with the company, but horror stories can come from any retail job. Luckily we get mostly decent folks.

Has this happened to you?
(Sep 25, 2019, 05:08 AM)Welker Wrote: [ -> ]
Has this happened to you?

Not yet, unfortunately. I think the closest I’ve gotten to a customer complaint was not taking a new game back...after they opened that plastic...and played it....
is it ma’am or sir?
Is this just the American version of Cex
(Sep 25, 2019, 04:08 PM)Dan Wrote: [ -> ]is it ma’am or sir?

Sir. Fuck ‘em
(Sep 25, 2019, 05:18 PM)Faustin Wrote: [ -> ]Is this just the American version of Cex

Cex is more like an all around pawn-shop for electronics where as GameStop focuses on game related items and accessories. Not to mention collectibles.
(Sep 25, 2019, 05:18 PM)Faustin Wrote: [ -> ]Is this just the American version of Cex

US version of GAME
Why do you work at GameStop?
Pages: 1 2