Limelight Forums

Full Version: USFS Boating System (Functional Boats for free)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The US Forest Service Proudly Presents the

USFS Boating System
functional boats - for free use

[Image: S7CC1mG.jpg]

Wether you are looking to spend your day fishing or wether you want to get some speed this system got you covered in all of your needs ! Take one of multiple unique boats to explore the lake ! Grab your loved ones and some camping gear to go fishing on the weekends ! Learn how to sail in an optimist and then use that knowledge to partake in regattas using larger sailboats ! No matter what it is you want to do youll get your chance to do so Smile

And dont worry if you need help there are patrol boats, rescue vessels and more.

The USFS Boating system offers a prop efficient and user friendly way to utilise boats in almost every way you want.
They can be driven just like an ordinary car (but with arrow keys)

enjoy Smile

How do i start ? 5 Easy steps to become a sailor !

Step 1
open your prop/tool-menu by holding „Q“ and select the „Advanced Duplicator“ tool on the right hand corner.

Step 2
Double klick on the „public folder“ thats in the Advanced Duplicators toolwindow

Step 3
Double klick on „_USFS Boating System_“

Step 4
In here you will find various items. To start your journed klick on the „Boating Platform v 1“ Then klick on the "open" button".
Make sure the last 3 boxes in the AD menu are ticked (marked orange in the tutorial picture) !

Step 5
Now that you have opened the platform klick anywhere in the map to spawn it in.

Note that this step is not needed if a platform is already put up. To check wether there is a existing platform look into the sky (you should see a small grey nametag on the center right corner of your screen – if a platform has been spawned in !

Step 6
Select a boat you want from the „_USFS Boating System_“ Folder and paste it in just like you pasted the platform in in the last steps.

[Image: zoVUDXV.png]

You drive the boat using your arrow keys.

The System

The boat is powered by a invisible tug driving on an invisible platform. That platform is located far above the lake. The tug is nothing but a very crude car (4 wheels, a body and a steering axis). It is keeping the boat afloat and powering it via an weld-connection between the tug in the sky and the boat underneath.
This means the following things:

1. As your boat is not technicly floating on the water it can carry more cargo and is more stable
  2. As your boat requires the invisible tug/platform mechanism to operate it is impossible to use it outside the lake.
  3. Since gmod physics tent to alternate from real life physics on occasions boats may occasionaly get stuck and rarely act out – this is unavoidavle. Though every boat can get fixed or replaced easily.

Q & A

How many Props do i need?
The propcount of your boating system depends on what boat you are using and wether or not a platform is already in the sky. If the platform is already put up by another user you do not need your own platform (saving you the 16 props it would cost you).
If you use any of the 2 dinghys, the motorboat or the jetski you will only require 7 props without the platform and 23 with the platform. Any boat that has something mounted on it (sails or cabins...) will be more complex. Those boats come in at around 30-60 props
Overall its a really compact system though designed for everyone to enjoy.

What do i do if my boat is to far out?
As it is recommended to spawn the boat at its original location it may sometimes be away from your current position. Either swim to the boat and climb ontop or press e if you want to get seated. You can also control the boat remotely as it does not require you to be on the actual boat - do not abuse this function thouhg (fail rp)

I see a boat that is not in the public folder / what about custom boats?
Occasionaly you may see a boat that is not in the actuall folder. Those are usually custom boats that are made for an individual or for a clan. As they are ment to serve a specific function or a specific person/group they will not be included in the public folder.

So what about making my own boat? Can i get custom boats?
Yes ! you can make your own boats using this system. Though that can be a complicated and tedious process. You can also request me to make a custom boat for you. The results depend on what boat you will be requesting and how much time I will have to set it up. What you can also do (as long as its below 20 maybe 30 props) is to build a boat that you want to be added and hand it to me soo i can set it up with the actual system. Resulst may vary

Known issues

Inverted Steering (common)
The boat sometimes tents to invert its steering. Unfortunatly this is a very weird quirk of gmod physics that can hardly be fixed. If your steering becomes inverted just adapt to it – its not hard to do.

Stuck (common)
The boat occasionaly may loose power. This is due to the wheels shifting up and down a little putting their motor axis off center and thus creating resistance. To fix this either replace the boat at its original location. Or gently lift it up (NOT DOWN !) with your physgun. Somtimes a gentle nodge with the physgun may help too.
Keep in mind that the boat is attached to a tug above: if you lift it youll also lift the tug (thus decreasing the tension on its axis – which usually gets the wheels unstuck). If you move it down hower you are trying to squeze the tug car though the platform which can make the problem worse.

My boat is getting slower (occasional)
This issue is quite similar to the one above. Though it usually does not require you to lift/nudge or replace the boat. Just try to go backwards infront of forwards (as your boat may have inverted its steering) or try to spam the arrow keys a little (somtimes in an alternating pattern) Usually the boat will fix itself after a some shaking.

Hell broke loose: my boat is flying all over the place (very rare)
This may occur very rarely if the collision model on your boat got tempered with or failed to save correctly. The best thing to do here is to remove the boat as quick as possible or freeze it.

My boat is sinking / Tipping over (very rare)
This should happen – If it does your tug car has either fallen through the platform or drove off its edge and simply fell down. As the tug is heavier it will usually flip the boat then. Simply replace the boat using the advanced duplicator to get it fixed.

My boat is an Error ! (common)
This issue will happen with some of the boats if you dont have CSGO installed or mounted. This is one of the few pieces of content that you cant subscribe to on the workshop as it is another valve game. However its relatively easy to fix and i seriously recommend doing so. The game is free on steam so you can download it with ease. Once you got it installed open gmod and hit escape. Then select the small button on your lower right corner that looks like a gaming console. Klick there and tick the box next to „counter strike global offensive“. This will mount the game and add its content to your gmod. Note that in order to properly see the csgo content you need to restart the game once.
This post will be used to announce events and changelogs. It will be adjusted and overhauled shortly.

Meanwhile I invite everyone to join us celebrating the release in around 30 mins (18:45 CEST)
reserved