Limelight Forums

Full Version: Community Advisory Program
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Community,

Following up from the community meeting we had earlier this month, one of the questions raised was the following:

Quote:Would you as a team consider adding an advisor role for those who have been playing on the server for a long time and would like to be present for dev meetings? This could come with an NDA.

I raised this with ‍ and began to discuss with him, and generally it was received quite positively! He made a response on the thread too which he responded to. And so, a vote was made amongst staff which passed! So after a lot of discussion between myself, Faustie and the rest of the team, we now release the community advisory program! This allows for us as staff members to take your points onboard whilst we vote, as it's clear that there's a disconnect right now. This program would help us to understand what are some major problems and what we can do to tackle these problems. It also gives you guys as community members to provide direct input into Limelight!

But Night, won't we need NDA's?

No. NDA's are overkill for this sort of thing. We may discuss information that we ask to be kept under the covers so to speak, and this may be met with punishment if said information gets out, but there's no need for NDA's in this case.

Who can apply?

We're looking for anyone who's able to provide their honest opinions in a constructive and mature manner. As long as you can do that, you're welcome to participate. Senior Mods and upwards will be involved in this program too without needing to apply, and certain people who have been involved in meetings before and have behaved constructively may be extended an invitation at the discretion of program lead's.

What's the scope of this? Can I really provide input on anything?

We're open to hearing your opinions on Limelight as a whole. We as staff members have agreed to allow people taking part in this program to have input in both the administrative and development aspects, so you've got a pretty wide scope to discuss the things you think that are working, the things that aren't working as well as they should and what you think could be done to help combat them.

This sounds great! How do I apply?

We've setup a Google Form for those interested to fill in. You can find the form by clicking here. We ask that each person gives us a brief sales pitch of a maximum of 200 characters just to give us a quick idea on why we should consider including you. The aim is to get around to reviewing applicants in around a week or two, but we'll see how it goes. If it takes any longer than this though, you're welcome to drop me or Stell a Forum PM.

If you're rejected, we'll ask you to resubmit your application in a month's time and obviously feedback will be provided in this instance. The reason we ask for you to wait this amount of time is because we would like to be sure you have enough time to work on the feedback given to you as well as giving program lead's long enough to see if they've noticed changes.

I've got more questions!

Send them either in mine or Stell's direction or drop them as a response to this post and I'll try my best to answer.

We've worked very hard as a team to get this program together and to make sure that you guys feel listened to, and we hope that this program will be successful in trying to bridge the divide between development, administration and the wider community.

Again, you're welcome to apply by clicking here.
Certainly a step in the right direction
cool, indeed a step in the right direction
Great to see that steps are made to include the community into the "background" stuff.
Has been needed for a long time, glad it's finally here.
there is no t in team but there is night
Looks good.
It seems like a step in the right direction and a good way to get the community involved, nice Big Grin
I honestly don't feel like this is a great idea, but I don't make policy.

The only method to applying community input that seems successful would be to take a page from Warframe and just periodically ask for their input.  Since we have a suggestions section, this is already half met as a condition.
(Aug 10, 2019, 09:38 PM)Jokhah Wrote: [ -> ]I honestly don't feel like this is a great idea, but I don't make policy.

The only method to applying community input that seems successful would be to take a page from Warframe and just periodically ask for their input.  Since we have a suggestions section, this is already half met as a condition.

Limelight has dwindled in size for past few months because they aren't getting new players to join ... and stay. I find it appropriate to involve more of the current community to provide input into matters that could drastically improve a player's experience. Some of the higher staff haven't been experiencing the gameplay for Limelight, so they need our help to try and improve it. While they could achieve this through discussions on the forum and discord, they want to create a group of people that they can rely on to be helpful and constructive and not disruptive in the thinking process. It's quite simple. I don't see any negatives about this. They can control and monitor the people in the group, make it smaller or bigger, or whatever they need to make this group be a positive idea machine to help make improvements.

I know why they are choosing to do what they are doing here.  I've been in a similar situation at the other community in the past.  It didn't end well.  Few issues come up with it.  Who they select, which decisions they choose to act or not act on, social drama, accusations of corruption....

I feel like it will happen again.  At least here, they decided to make this team a public knowledge thing, but that is a two way street too.

Would be easier if the "higher ups" would simply get off their ass, log in, and mingle with the community they have a bit.  Then they wouldn't be relying on 2nd or even 3rd hand information.  But I'm not going to dig deeper into that subject.  I understand that people have lives, but if your life is making you unable to show up, why hold the title? (No disrespect intended.)
(Aug 17, 2019, 02:40 AM)Jokhah Wrote: [ -> ]Would be easier if the "higher ups" would simply get off their ass, log in, and mingle with the community they have a bit.  Then they wouldn't be relying on 2nd or even 3rd hand information.  But I'm not going to dig deeper into that subject.  I understand that people have lives, but if your life is making you unable to show up, why hold the title? (No disrespect intended.)

Sometimes me and you don't see eye to eye Jokhah, but as much as I agree with the advisory program literally what you said gets my thinking in a nutshell.
I personally don't understand why there's a whole application system for this. Considering the server peaks below 20 on a high-pop day I think they should be taking all of the help that's offered to them, not denying people. Surely having an open group and then moderating people depending on their input in the discussions is a lot smarter than denying people depending on factors such as "causes too much tension". No offense to some of the people I've seen added to the role but I've seen maybe 2 or 3 out of the 6 or 7 people actually get involved in discussions previously.

So I have a question to the liaisons, why would you deny help from people when the server needs as much as it can get? And what's the point of having this application process?

I've tried messaging the liaisons, which I don't see why there are liaisons for the program by the way, but they appear to be ignoring myself and others about it so I guess here is the next best place.
This whole thing seems a bit convoluted tbh. This community has maybe like 100 active users, and there's literally like 15 types of positions a person can have, it's just so excessive. Why are ya'll building another gap between the community and the admin team. If the community had like 50k people I could get that there would need to be hierarchy, but really at this level the community should have the say in everything that goes on.

I just don't get what's being protected by not sharing everything with everyone?

The only competition is FL and they likely won't care, or will copy LL anyway if they think it's a good enough idea once released. The only thing ya'll are doing is putting up walls and closing doors to your biggest supporters, the community. 

The whole thing is just dumb lol, I've been away from LL for like 3 years and I get on and look at this - it just feels like things are getting more and more convoluted for literally no reason. 

Let me fix your problems and make this whole thing really easy: You have like 100-200 max active players, stop making it so overly complicated. You need three positions: Admin, Mod, Community. INTERACT and figure out how to make this community good, there ya go.