Limelight Forums

Full Version: The concept of the soft ban
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You know how blacklists work? Well I was thinking about how they're like soft bans. Except in a soft-ban, the player is rendered invisible, unable to damage players, drive, collide with players, interact etc. What do you guys think about adding these for serious offenders?
(Apr 30, 2019, 07:28 PM)Montyfatcat Wrote: [ -> ]You know how blacklists work? Well I was thinking about how they're like soft bans. Except in a soft-ban, the player is rendered invisible, unable to damage players, drive, collide with players, interact etc. What do you guys think about adding these for serious offenders?

So like if you forced someone into spectator mode. But why not just ban them? If they can't interact or do anything there is no benefit to them being on the server for either them or any other player.
(Apr 30, 2019, 07:50 PM)Overlewd Wrote: [ -> ]So like if you forced someone into spectator mode. But why not just ban them? If they can't interact or do anything there is no benefit to them being on the server for either them or any other player.
Couldn't have said it better  ^
Metagaming and ghosting would be a massive issue imo, as from what I'm understanding here they could walk into someone's base and inform their gang about all the defences and that. I don't believe that this would be a good idea.
(Apr 30, 2019, 08:02 PM)Stell90 Wrote: [ -> ]Metagaming and ghosting would be a massive issue imo, as from what I'm understanding here they could walk into someone's base and inform their gang about all the defences and that. I don't believe that this would be a good idea.

Further to this (I know it does not happen often) but it’s another player slot taken up, if one day the server was to hit max capacity it’s unfair for players to wait due to “ghosted” players roaming around. 

I like the concept, just don’t think it would benefit the community
(Apr 30, 2019, 08:41 PM)Apollo Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 30, 2019, 08:02 PM)Stell90 Wrote: [ -> ]Metagaming and ghosting would be a massive issue imo, as from what I'm understanding here they could walk into someone's base and inform their gang about all the defences and that. I don't believe that this would be a good idea.
They still collide with props etc, just not players and cars (Or maybe cars and that would mean they would have to be careful)

Further to this (I know it does not happen often) but it’s another player slot taken up, if one day the server was to hit max capacity it’s unfair for players to wait due to “ghosted” players roaming around. 

easy fix, they get kicked when a new slot is needed
What's the point if they can't do anything..?
Have you seen Black Mirror on Netflix? Pretty convincing argument there against this.
yes allow for perm banned players
Yeah but actually no.
Many good points already made in this thread why NOT to do it. A player is better off being banned than being on the server without being able to do anything.

-support
Bad idea, no thanks
Yikes

The metagaming possibilities with this idea is mega high, they can essentially walk around and just tell everyone what is happening and tell their mates...

The idea its self doesn't make sense, why would anyone join a server and have literally nothing to do, I'd prefer to be banned rather than forced into spectator and not roleplay at all

Not a good idea imo
(Apr 30, 2019, 08:41 PM)Apollo Wrote: [ -> ]

(Apr 30, 2019, 07:50 PM)Overlewd Wrote: [ -> ]
(Apr 30, 2019, 07:28 PM)Montyfatcat Wrote: [ -> ]You know how blacklists work? Well I was thinking about how they're like soft bans. Except in a soft-ban, the player is rendered invisible, unable to damage players, drive, collide with players, interact etc. What do you guys think about adding these for serious offenders?

So like if you forced someone into spectator mode. But why not just ban them? If they can't interact or do anything there is no benefit to them being on the server for either them or any other player.

See above. Same reasoning as all others.
Nah, if somebody bad they need to be yeeted away.
wow 12 people all decided "no", wow how unified!