Limelight Forums

Full Version: Source Mapping in SketchUp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Q: Interested in making a map but don't know where to start?

I am here to offer some advice along with documentation on a process that I've nearly perfected and one that I'd like to share with those of you that are either inexperienced or those that have found Hammer to be too intimidating/outdated.

Click HERE to access the SketchUp-to-Hammer documentation.

This documentation is a WIP and will continue to be updated along with offering multiple video demonstrations. 
This thread will also serve as a way to ask questions about the program or if you have any questions // please smash that +REP 
-Reserved-
Update 01/30/2019
  • Lesson 9 (Importing .VMF References)
Update 01/31/2019
  • Lesson 10 (In-Place Component Replacement)
Working on a role-play map with a few individuals // I'll regularly post in here with concept images of our work. Feedback appreciated as well as what you'd like to potentially see in a well-rounded RP map.

Phase I - Downtown/City Center:
  • High-end Retail
  • Commercial Kitchen
  • Office Space 
  • High Income Apartments
  • Park Space(s)
  • Metro (Bus, Underground Access)
Figure 1. Inner-City Parking
Retail below, parking above // isolates vehicles to a point where they can be unloaded/unrendered. Street-side parking will likely not be an option on Main Street; though available on other streets.
Taking a bit longer than expected for Phase I > have been messing around with layouts to ensure optimization is going to be sufficient and will perform exceedingly well.

Been messing around with different 'feels' that I would like the map to have // going for a modern urban environment with emphasis on green space. Been messing around with contextual buildings as well, which is a technique used to separate map sections in Rockford - though we'll likely utilize this along with other techniques such as the cliff faces in some areas and tree-displacements in others.

The map will be designed according to the structure of a multi-nuclei model - basically a city that typically has more than one central business district. Most RP maps tend to be mono-centric (V5P, Rockford, TN) though I'd like to separate areas and ensure that the context surrounding it is fitting.

This phase is primarily the city-center with what I would imagine would be a satisfactory environment to serve as a spawn location. Access to critical services such as the metro (bus, underground) along with a few properties that include mid-tier retail, office space and commercial space. Housing in this district may be extremely limited and might simply include TOD's - affordable transportation oriented developments // relatively low square footage apartments/lofts that are within close proximity to the metro station and perfect for the commuter that might be working out of town.

Road systems are replicating V5P instead of Rockford as I think there is an appeal to the darker map tones and the two-lane approach is far better in these urban areas as a safety measure for bad drivers and to allow for larger vehicles (Bus, Cargo)

Started off modelling this contemporary building with the intended function of likely being a shell for office space, but considering the central location and authoritarian/utilitarian aesthetic... should the purpose instead be used for the PD (?) 

I'll likely commit to the PD being located here // secured parking, map-camera(s) with monitor room and control panel to open/close parking gate, TP to <second floor> or <basement level> with the upper level being reserved for administrative purposes (offices, break room) and the basement that would likely consist of your equipment room, conference room, holding cells and even a small training range - considering this lower level would be TP'd to it would greatly reduce any noise pollution in the shopping area.
I love the way that this is shaping up.

As no one has posted anything under here I just wanted to give some feedback.

What I would personally like to see from a map is versatility. What we see with Truenorth at the moment is poorly designed buildings. The main street is amazing, it's wider than expected, with huge parking areas but, this is not the problem. The problem is every shop front, has a forced counter, meaning when it comes to building, there isn't much one could do with it, except incorporate it. I've tried and tested a few ideas on how to incorporate the counter itself but the best way that I've come to deal with it, is just covering it.
            Next is the police department. Myself and ‍ created dupes for the Police Department on Rockford, which was practical, allowing us to segregate certain areas, the map offered clear detailing as to where things should go. So we added an office area with desks and computers in the booths, added props to the armoury to make it look like somewhere that people would load and unload weaponary. We added a commanders office and SWAT area. This was all because the map gave us the necessary indication. On Evocity, we used the AMPM building, completely covering any sign of 'Grocery Store' and masking the buildings exterior with props. This was only achievable because of the building being almost shelled out entirely.

I think what I am trying to say is this, when creating a roleplay map, one must take into consideration how another would use the space that is created. Such with your Police department concept, the upper level is a crazy idea, but just from the pictures, I see how I would use it.
           Create shelled spaces that people can use, but give the clear indication that is needed. Grocery stores on all of the maps had designated checkout areas, shelving units already stocked with food, freezers and fridges. This isn't giving a player the chance to place their own unique twist on the building itself, which is why I think we see so little grocery store roleplays. Areas such as Auto Mechanic buildings don't need world elevators, one could make an elevator very easily, but even if you can't make an elevator, you still have  a massive area where you can place toolboxes and counters and just have the cars on the ground level.

TL: DR;

- Buildings that don't have massive areas that overwhelm players into not using them
- Very little world props that could block potential use
- A clear indication of where things are and where they should be
- No bloom effect, just a normal skybox
- Good lighting in all buildings even if they are just a warehouse

The map looks great though Nev it really does. Keep it up
While the guide is very welcome and nice to see how detailed it is, the part about your map project would be better suited for the "Discussions" or "Off-Topic", this is so this guide/subforum stays clean and uncluttered.