Limelight Forums

Full Version: Strange stuttering.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tried running good on my new PC for the first time today, and I am getting weird "frame drops" every second or so, ie I will have about 90 FPS, and a second or so later it will drop to 23 for a second or so, this cycle continues indefinitely. This results in a really choppy experience. I never use to have this on my MacBook, which is significantly worse spec wise. I have multi core rendering enabled and specs well above the minimum requirements for Gmod:

Ryzen 7 2700x
RX 590 8GB
Intel 660p NVMe PCie M.2 512GB
A 2TB fusion drive
16GB of RAM

I currently run the game on my fusion drive, I am going to try running it on my SSD instead to see if that makes any difference. In a few old games, I have had weird issues where my monitor (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-U28E590...B00WUACE4S) has the games at about 30HZ in full screen mode, I don't think this is that relevant though.

Any ideas or workarounds?
Considering Garry's Mod was released in 2004, I'm fairly certain that you couldn't buy 4k monitors around then which is more than likely why the resolution isn't supported. Hence why 1440p is supported, as that was available before Garry's Mod was made.

As for the stuttering, not entirely sure, it happens to me and a few others by the sounds of it, I think it might just be due to the game being old and outdated but.. who knows
There are unfortunately very little options you have with improving performance in GMod. One reason you might be seeing drops now is that you've got an AMD processor which is great for multicore performance, but GMod only properly uses 1 core. Your Mac will have had an intel processor which is better at single-core performance so it could be that.

Some things to try:
https://limelightgaming.net/forums/thread-22696.html The core isolation trick
Multicore rendering autoexec (add the following below to your autoexec file, be warned, can sometimes cause occasional crashes on Limelight)
Code:
gmod_mcore_test 1
mat_queue_mode -1
cl_threaded_bone_setup 1
‍, any further questions?
Nope.
Closed and Archived.

Upon user request.