Limelight Forums

Full Version: Upgrading or Building a New Gaming Rig
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone who is looking to upgrade or build a new rig this christmas, I would suggest that you wait. As many know leaks of the new Ryzen 3000 series SKUs have been released. If the information leaked is even somewhat accurate, AMD will be taking a huge shot at Intel and possibly start gaining back the majority of the CPU market. The prices are the same or a little bit higher that the Ryzen 2000 series and a ton bit faster. The new Ryzen 3000 series SKUs will be based off of the Zen 2 architecture with a completely different base than the Ryzen 2000 series. The Zen 2 architecture will allow for higher clocks, more cores, a much higher efficiency, and faster RAM. What does this mean? This means that AMD's single-threaded performance will be exceptionally better than older AMD CPUs and will probably even compete or out perform current Intel CPUs; not to mention, with much more cores than Intel. We will probably be expecting an AMD Threadripper core count CPU with really high clock speeds for a fraction of the cost of the current best multi-threaded consumer chip from Intel, the i9-9900k. We are expecting these leaks to be confirmed at CES 2019 in January. Hopefully these chips will be released in the first quarter of 2019.

Also, AMD will also be launching some new mid-tier GPUs for their new 3000 series GPUs. When launched will probably be a huge hit on NVIDIA in the mid-range GPUs until they release their 2000 series mid-tier GPUs. AMD will probably still give them a beating because AMDs CPUs are a fraction of the cost of the 2000 series and even the 1000 series from NVIDIA.

So, if you want a new computer for christmas or before 2019, don't. Ask for money instead.

Feel free to discuss the new Ryzen 3000 series leak and the AMD 3000 series GPUs. Just make sure that you don't post any links that Limelight should not be affiliated with.
AMD? Mehh
(Dec 8, 2018, 11:59 PM)VIVZZ Wrote: [ -> ]AMD? Mehh

Jesus Christ, people just read the brand and turn a blind eye to it.
Just because AMD has been seen as "the worse/budget CPU" in the past doesn't mean that Ryzen is shite. Ryzen is great and all they're CPUs are as good or even better than the equivalent of Intels.

I have an i5 7600k and I wish I opted for Ryzen when I had the chance because I probably could have got a 1070 instead of a 1060.
AMD?ewwww
Intel 4 lyfe
Quest Wrote:
VIVZZ Wrote:AMD? Mehh

Jesus Christ, people just read the brand and turn a blind eye to it.
Just because AMD has been seen as "the worse/budget CPU" in the past doesn't mean that Ryzen is shite. Ryzen is great and all they're CPUs are as good or even better than the equivalent of Intels.

I have an i5 7600k and I wish I opted for Ryzen when I had the chance because I probably could have got a 1070 instead of a 1060.

People love to pay 2-3x more for something just because of the name or brand slapped on it, just look at Apple. Also OMEGALUL for paying extra just to have the damn chip unlocked.

I went with a Ryzen 5 1600 and have been happy with it as it saved me a solid chunk of money and let me keep my build under $700. Even with the $1000 upgrade I had planned I was going to stick with the CPU.
(Dec 9, 2018, 11:45 PM)Noble Wrote: [ -> ]People love to pay 2-3x more for something just because of the name or brand slapped on it, just look at Apple. Also OMEGALUL for paying extra just to have the damn chip unlocked.

I went with a Ryzen 5 1600 and have been happy with it as it saved me a solid chunk of money and let me keep my build under $700. Even with the $1000 upgrade I had planned I was going to stick with the CPU.

Hey that's good because AMD is actually considerable when it comes to upgrading because the Ryzen 3000 series chips are still predictable and highly probable to be in the AM4 socket, so it is not necessary to upgrade your motherboard, unlike Intel.
I have used AMD for a while. The main issue with them is that games do not receive as much support for it, nvidia is very good at buying out games to focus on their drivers. but ryzen has been pretty good, I am curios to see what they come with next.
amd is fucking gay