Limelight Forums

Full Version: How well does your computer run Garry's Mod?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there, first time posting.

I have played alot of Fearless, however this was with my current computer. Limelight gets really laggy when I play it but Garry's Mod runs fine singleplayer. Now I'm considering getting a new computer but I have to ask you guys:

What is your setup and did you notice a big difference (fps wise) when you upgraded your computer on a G-mod server or does it always lag?

For those asking, I will be gathering these parts over the next 3 months and after that you will find me ingame  Grin :

GPU GTX 1080 MSI
CPU i5 8400 (Might get a better one than this)
MoBo Any decent Z370
RAM 1x 8gb ddr4 (will add 1x 8GB extra)

Thank you for answering in advance!
There's not a lot you can do to improve performance of LL. The most you can do is get the best processor you can afford. Apart from that it's sort of useless.. Garry's mod does not utilise multiple processor cores properly if at all due to the Source Engine, so there's a limit to the performance you can get. 

I wouldn't recommend getting an upgrade purely for the purpose of LL, but if you do, spend more on the processor and less on the GPU.
Pretty much what  said.
This might not be that relevant, but I found that when I upgraded from my mid-2015 15" MacBook Pro with Intel Graphics to my current 2017 15" MacBook Pro with a Radeon Pro 555 dedicated GPU I noticed that I got almost double the framerates I used to. I am not sure if the frame rate increase was down to the existance of my newer, dedicated GPU or something else though, as my older model used to have CPU thermal throttling issues.
See thread https://limelightgaming.net/forums/thread-23330.html also as this has been discussed by the community in the past.
(Nov 11, 2018, 11:26 PM)LiVHDX Wrote: [ -> ]There's not a lot you can do to improve performance of LL. The most you can do is get the best processor you can afford. Apart from that it's sort of useless.. Garry's mod does not utilise multiple processor cores properly if at all due to the Source Engine, so there's a limit to the performance you can get. 

I wouldn't recommend getting an upgrade purely for the purpose of LL, but if you do, spend more on the processor and less on the GPU.

Yes I am aware of the issue and no, I am not getting a new computer because of LL. I just enjoy PC gaming overall.

Also, I heard there was a command that fixes that issue?
(Nov 12, 2018, 12:11 AM)Fela Wrote: [ -> ]
(Nov 11, 2018, 11:26 PM)LiVHDX Wrote: [ -> ]There's not a lot you can do to improve performance of LL. The most you can do is get the best processor you can afford. Apart from that it's sort of useless.. Garry's mod does not utilise multiple processor cores properly if at all due to the Source Engine, so there's a limit to the performance you can get. 

Yes I am aware of the issue and no, I am not getting a new computer because of LL. I just enjoy PC gaming overall.

Also, I heard there was a command that fixes that issue?

I assume you're referring to the multicore rendering commands you can enable. Yes, these can slightly improve performance however even then it's not very noticeable on LL (Gives me massive FPS boosts on other servers). I think the issue with LL is that Lua cannot be multithreaded in GMod and CityRP 2 is extremely lua-heavy. 

In addition to this, the command has been known to cause crashes for some users on LL (I do not have this issue).
my computer can run most AAA games, I just need a new processor then I can actually enjoy sweet frames on demanding (mostly old ones which is strange) games
(Nov 12, 2018, 12:57 AM)miss joley Wrote: [ -> ]my computer can run most AAA games, I just need a new processor then I can actually enjoy sweet frames on demanding (mostly old ones which is strange) games

Not strange, it's because older games don't use multiple cores a lot of the time, so the better processor you have the better single-core speeds a la faster running game. They also don't utilise your GPU in the same way AAA games do and are reliant on the CPU instead.
Garry's Mod is a single-threaded game.

What does this mean? 
Garry's Mod takes a step by step approach to running the game. So, the game will only perform one process at a time and then move on to the next process. This means that one CPU thread is being used while running Garry's Mod. This is why single-threaded/single-core performance is a key factor in your FPS in Garry's Mod. 

What about the notorious multi-core command?
For some people, this works very well, but for others it causes instability and game crashes. This is very CPU specific, sometimes even relying on other hardware components. The multi-core command in just a sneaky and inefficient way to try and make the game multi-core reliable. However, it does not change the fact that the game is still single-threaded. All it does and tries to split the single processes to more cores, but it still only performs one process at a time.  

So how can I improve my performance with that information?
The most common answer is buy the best Intel CPU you can find. While this answer could sound credible because of the Intel single core performance, it is not always the best way to improve performance. What we want is the best single-threaded performance from our CPU. Going with the "best" Intel CPU is not appropriate now because most of Intel's 8th and 9th rely on multi-core performance with 6-8 cores. The way that we can get the best performance is probably a quad-core high clock speed CPU. The best one I can think of is the i7-7700k. With this you can even OC it to a even more desirable clock speed with adequate cooling. The 8th is an alright choice because it still has string single-thread performance, but anything of 6 cores won't be adequate for Garry's Mod. Here is a thread explaining this subject better: https://create.pro/blog/cores-faster-cpu...explained/.

Why does high clock speed matter so much?
Well since Garry's Mod is single-threaded, to get the best performance we need to perform every little process as fast as we can so that it can move on to the next process. The clock speed is one of the main determiners for how fast the CPU will will perform a process. 

So is there anything else that will help me gain performance?
Yes, RAM is another way to improve your performance, but it is not the quantity but the quality that matters. The same way with the CPU. Keep in mind that RAM is not a sure way to improve performance. The RAM stores information that the CPU needs to perform each process. I want to keep this part short because the change can be very minute dependent on what you have. The motherboard and RAM timing and speed is very important for getting information to the CPU. The motherboard needs to be handle the speeds of your RAM while doing it efficiently. Most motherboards are perfectly fine and you won't see much of any performance increase from just a motherboard swap. The RAM CAS latency is important to how fast the the cycle times are for the RAM to send information to the CPU. using the link provided for CAS latency and the restrictions from the i7-7700k the DDR4-2400 with a CAS latency of 15 would probably be the best.

This is all the information I have in my peanut brain, but if you have any other questions I would love to answer them. Keep in mind, the i7-7700k is not for sure best CPU for Garry's Mod, but it is just my suggestions as spec wise it seems like the most reasonable choice. If anyone notices any mistakes in this. Please let me know.
Weirdly enough the amount of lag I had was significantly decreased today. I was able to do a few pretty good high-speed pursuits without crashing into a light pole, tree or sign at nearly every turn I took as well as a few shoot-outs without getting a lag spike at the press of my LMB. I don't know what caused it either because there were a good 25-30 players on at the time. Maybe my PC had a good day.

I usually get pretty good frames. Not amazing frames, but more than playable; else I wouldn't be here so often of course. It's just certain situations, areas or during a higher player population on the server where I endure a big lag spike and then roll along like nothing happened, have my body burn away in a fiery crash somewhere in a lonely area where I most likely won't be found or have my car (and myself) riddled after a shoot-out.