Limelight Forums

Full Version: PC specs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, so im wondering if I upgrade my PC n all that, would that maybe fix the bad FPS when there is a lot of players online? if so which parts would I need?
Your CPU will probably be your best bet, but if it is just for the server I wouldn't. Even people with Grade A CPUs still struggle to get 30+ fps. But if you were going with Intel would be your best bet because of its single core performance compared to AMD.
If youd like to increase your performance particularly for Garrys Mod, buying an SSD would be worth a tought. It will cut any kind of loading time by alot. 

Apart from that: The usual Stuff. CPU and GPU. Garrys Mod Maps eat more VRAM then i first tought. As i think Goigle already mentioned ingame once, GMOD is just generally bad at using anything, i dont even think itd make a big difference between Intel and AMD. 

I personally have a 7700k & 1080 ti with an SSD, and i nearly always stay above 40 FPS. Smile
Thinking of buying a new CPU and a i7, already have an SSD
i have a 7700k and a 1080 oc and rgb ram i get 20 fps help
(Oct 16, 2018, 05:59 AM)Luvbunny Wrote: [ -> ]If youd like to increase your performance particularly for Garrys Mod, buying an SSD would be worth a tought. It will cut any kind of loading time by alot

As it might or might not help loading that i dont know, but from personal experience SSD acctualy impacted my game negatively (for some reason) where some textures just denied to load, upon reinstalling the game on another harddrive and removing the ssd the game suddenly got a 20gb update full of addons i never saw
(Oct 16, 2018, 08:08 AM)Armard Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct 16, 2018, 05:59 AM)Luvbunny Wrote: [ -> ]If youd like to increase your performance particularly for Garrys Mod, buying an SSD would be worth a tought. It will cut any kind of loading time by alot

As it might or might not help loading that i dont know, but from personal experience SSD acctualy impacted my game negatively (for some reason) where some textures just denied to load, upon reinstalling the game on another harddrive and removing the ssd the game suddenly got a 20gb update full of addons i never saw

Never experienced that. Loading the game and connecting takes about 1 Minute. Might be a defective unit on your end.
(Oct 16, 2018, 07:24 AM)Decay Wrote: [ -> ]Thinking of buying a new CPU and a i7, already have an SSD

You probably don't need a new GPU; Source Engine is extremely CPU bound. An extreme example of this is how an i5-8400 will get around 300 FPS in CS:GO, whereas AMD's equivalent in the Ryzen 1600 will only get around 200. Intel CPUs are generally better at the moment, unless you're going to the low to low-mid range, which you clearly aren't.

It's important that you choose the right model, not just i5 or i7. It's a good time to buy Intel's 8th generation (latest models) of CPUs, as there was a big jump in multi-core performance from the previous generation (which won't be useful for GMod particularly, but it's worth the price bump for other tasks). I would recommend the i5-8400, i5-8600k or i7-8700k, depending on your budget.

A new CPU would mean that you need a new motherboard to be compatible. I'd suggest checking PC Part Picker for their PC build tool to ensure that all your components are compatible.
(Oct 17, 2018, 05:26 PM)Blazing Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct 16, 2018, 07:24 AM)Decay Wrote: [ -> ]Thinking of buying a new CPU and a i7, already have an SSD

You probably don't need a new GPU; Source Engine is extremely CPU bound. An extreme example of this is how an i5-8400 will get around 300 FPS in CS:GO, whereas AMD's equivalent in the Ryzen 1600 will only get around 200. Intel CPUs are generally better at the moment, unless you're going to the low to low-mid range, which you clearly aren't.

Isn't CS:GO running on a completely different version of the Source Engine? If im not mistaking

It's important that you choose the right model, not just i5 or i7. It's a good time to buy Intel's 8th generation (latest models) of CPUs, as there was a big jump in multi-core performance from the previous generation (which won't be useful for GMod particularly, but it's worth the price bump for other tasks). I would recommend the i5-8400, i5-8600k or i7-8700k, depending on your budget.

A new CPU would mean that you need a new motherboard to be compatible. I'd suggest checking PC Part Picker for their PC build tool to ensure that all your components are compatible.

Alright man, Thanks a lot Big Grin
(Oct 17, 2018, 06:00 PM)Luvbunny Wrote: [ -> ]

Isn't CS:GO running on a completely different version of the Source Engine? If im not mistaking

I think there are slight differences, but they aren't far apart. It was mainly just to demonstrate how much CPU performance makes a difference.
Hey my dudes, so I’m still kind of new to working with my PC, but recently I upgraded to a GTX 1080 Ti with 8gb of RAM and a i5 processor. The issue is, I’m not getting much of a performance impact as I was expecting. I read that I was possibly bottlenecking the card with my CPU?
(Oct 18, 2018, 03:10 PM)Gungranny Wrote: [ -> ]Hey my dudes, so I’m still kind of new to working with my PC, but recently I upgraded to a GTX 1080 Ti with 8gb of RAM and a i5 processor. The issue is, I’m not getting much of a performance impact as I was expecting. I read that I was possibly bottlenecking the card with my CPU?

Which i5 are you using?

(https://thebottlenecker.com/calculator - Ill just drop this here, eh)

Also, those 8GB RAM:
-I would strongly recommend to upgrade to 16GB (DDR4)
-Is it DDR 3 or DDR4?
-Mhz?
(Oct 18, 2018, 04:01 PM)Nudelsalat im Panzer Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct 18, 2018, 03:10 PM)Gungranny Wrote: [ -> ]Hey my dudes, so I’m still kind of new to working with my PC, but recently I upgraded to a GTX 1080 Ti with 8gb of RAM and a i5 processor. The issue is, I’m not getting much of a performance impact as I was expecting. I read that I was possibly bottlenecking the card with my CPU?

Which i5 are you using?

(https://thebottlenecker.com/calculator - Ill just drop this here, eh)

Also, those 8GB RAM:
-I would strongly recommend to upgrade to 16GB (DDR4)
-Is it DDR 3 or DDR4?
-Mhz?

Bruh I have no idea how to answer those bolded questions. Shows how minimal my knowledge is on this stuff.

I can find out which i5 I have when I get back home
No matter what u wont get much fps on gmod , its the game itself
Pages: 1 2