Limelight Forums

Full Version: You have many hours so you . . .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I kinda disagree with the "You have lots of hours, so you arent allowed to break rule x. If another player with 50 hours does the same, he wont get banned but will recieve a warning instead". 
This is shite and here is why.

First of all, thats kinda saying to a 50 year old man.
"So, you are not allowed to steal this chocolate bar, since you are old enough to know that you get in jail for 10 years, while this 21 year old is young compared to you, we will just send him home with a warning."

I kinda get why, but its just shite. No matter how many hours, you can easily forget a rule, dont pay attention, make a mistake.  
So please stop using the "You have enough hours to know that" argument everywhere .

Same with REPs.
Why is it expected from someone with more REPs to roleplay better? Yeah sure, he has more... And? Maybe he is already doing his best and cant do any better. 
Not everyone should be treated equal, sure.  There might be a skill Level thst can increase in Roleplaying. 
But that doesnt mean that it must..

So, what about you guys? Share the same opinion or not?
+Support
s fearRP ban is a great example of this and also shows how random this "system" is used and how stupid it actually is.

I've received a 24-hour suspension for fearRP a couple of days ago, the normal time for such an infraction.
Now, Friet got banned for fearRP, but he receives a 7-day suspension because of "he has enough experience to know what not to do as the FearRP rule is clear".
I fail to see how this is fair, especially because I even got more hours. Also for both of us, this was the first FearRP ban.
Yes.

Punishment system system should always be equal
(Oct 7, 2018, 04:39 PM)Nudelsalat im Panzer Wrote: [ -> ]s fearRP ban is a great example of this and also shows how random this "system" is used and how stupid it actually is.

I've received a 24-hour suspension for fearRP a couple of days ago, the normal time for such an infraction.
Now, Friet got banned for fearRP, but he receives a 7-day suspension because of "he has enough experience to know what not to do as the FearRP rule is clear".
I fail to see how this is fair, especially because I even got more hours. Also for both of us, this was the first FearRP ban.

Exactly and then I break FearRP at 1000hours and only get a blacklist. I'm not complaining about my punishment but it is unfair
Fr!et got a ban because I knew for a fact that he knows what to do and what not to do. I've played with Fr!et before and know to what extent his knowledge is. When it comes to the PR it was clear cut. He showed direct ignorance of what I knew he had full knowledge of.

Also the fact that he insulted a person should not be ignored as well as the clear intent of ignoring commands, trying to buy time, asking "what if I don't pay". I know for a fact Fr!et knows the rule, has knowledge of what is what yet he refuses.
Here's the deal with hours and knowledge of the rules. Some players, including myself, have at least 1000 hours and are expected to know every rule off by heart and down to the bare bones, but how is someone meant to know that something is wrong (if it is NOT clearly stated in the rule) when they've never been told otherwise by a staff member?
Also going into the part of the OP.

I understand how unfair it might seem, but rest assured we do try to do the best when it comes to provide you with fun while also making sure other people's fun isn't at cost.

There is a lot that goes into considering a punishment, as there is a lot to consider to make sure the most reasonable time is given to the rule breaker to have them learn of the rule or have them understand their ways are not alright and maybe they should rethink their approach.

For example, 

The way the rule breaker acts during and after a rule breakage.
Did they do the same thing before?
Do they show an understanding after the rule breakage?
Did they show an understanding before the rule breakage?
How many people got effected by this rule breakage?
Did the rule breakage put the receiving side at a massive disadvantage, perhaps losing something?

It's also important to note, if a situation can be relived by both sides due to minor loss, that's taken into account too.

These are what come to my mind, while considering a situation. At least what come to my mind while I write this.

For those who develop, or maybe even do math (idk fam i suk at it) you can see this as a bug or an equation.

There is a lot to take into account to provide the best solution or answer, and having an automated or solid time which does not take these into account could and would take the soul out of moderation and make us seem more robotic with no empathy.

Unless there is a 1000 day ban for a simple fearrp case with no previous punishments I'd like to think this system works fine.

I feel human
It’s an unfair punishment to the user because most players that get charged with the punishment get VERY defensive and sometimes even hostile towards it. Most staff members will attempt to explain what you did wrong. Some people may find if you stay calm, collected, and listen you may not even get punished. It’s all about bettering yourself, not getting you to hate being here. If you show you want to improve, they tend to be more lenient. 

It also doesn’t help when a the reporting party is REALLY keen on the player being punished instead of getting the situation resolved.

Apex

It's weird.

I also dislike how it can take staff about 10 minutes to figure out themselves if something is / isn't allowed yet players are supposed to mentally process the same information in the 5 seconds or so it takes to break a rule.

When will limelight be #humane
(Oct 7, 2018, 04:53 PM)Bambo Wrote: [ -> ]Fr!et got a ban because I knew for a fact that he knows what to do and what not to do. I've played with Fr!et before and know to what extent his knowledge is. When it comes to the PR it was clear cut. He showed direct ignorance of what I knew he had full knowledge of.

Also the fact that he insulted a person should not be ignored as well as the clear intent of ignoring commands, trying to buy time, asking "what if I don't pay". I know for a fact Fr!et knows the rule, has knowledge of what is what yet he refuses.

I know that what I did wasn't correct, but 7 days for that is just overkill imo. I even said that I would take the punishment if staff decided so. but what I don't get is why I get a 7 day ban and the other 2 just get a warning.

It also took you a good 2-3 days to respond to the PR with a punishment, wich means it has been discussed with multiple staff members so i'm not trying to blame you. I know brynn and night also looked at the PR so for 3 staff to look at a FeaRP PR and decide to hand out a 7 day ban is just overkill imo. I wouldn't have mind a 24 hr ban since I know I was wrong.
(Oct 7, 2018, 05:42 PM)Bambo Wrote: [ -> ]...-I understand how unfair it might seem, but rest assured we do try to do the best when it comes to provide you with fun while also making sure other people's fun isn't at cost.-...

No, I do not agree.

If a player breaks a rule and they are fully aware of it and apologetic, they shouldn't be punished.
The system is there to primarely prevent rulebreaks. Why ban someone who knows he made a mistake and promises he won't do it again. 

Player A breaks FearRP that Player B is holding.
Player A acknoledges this and apolgizes. They should be back RPing.
Not have some admin with his his big ban whip.

Im just speaking for myself here, but if someone tells me I broke a rule I'll put more effort into not break the rule again. Giving me a timeout of the server isnt going to help me in doing that.

Most of the time when players with a high hour count gets banned, it just pleases some petty PR thread owner and gives them a big smirk when it ends up in the Approved section.
"You have more hours, you should know better argument", you should. If you don't, ask questions.

There's a clear difference between a player who has 50 hours and a 1000 hours. If you make a mistake, so be it. If you make a mistake and either don't learn from it or decide to be disresectful thereafter, you'll get punished.

In regards to REP: the more experience you have, the better you should be.

Sorry guys but experience makes people better and I personally believe this is a just argument.

Apex

(Oct 8, 2018, 12:07 PM)Nacreas Wrote: [ -> ]"You have more hours, you should know better argument", you should. If you don't, ask questions.

There's a clear difference between a player who has 50 hours and a 1000 hours. If you make a mistake, so be it. If you make a mistake and either don't learn from it or decide to be disresectful thereafter, you'll get punished.

In regards to REP: the more experience you have, the better you should be.

Sorry guys but experience makes people better and I personally believe this is a just argument.
Except REPs are given out like candy and all you have to do is force yourself into every event / staff run RP to gain loads; Or better yet be realllllly chummy with staff so you can get them for merely breathing in the general direction of a staff member.

Apex

Another bit on the hours argument: 

You could have 10,000 hours on the server; doesn't mean they are all recent.

The majority of my hours are from over 2 years ago as I only started playing again recently.

Do you think I remember the lessons learned from 2 years ago? Nah.

It also ties into the fact many of the staff can't put themselves in the other persons shoes and once they have decided the course of action are unwilling to change their mind; even though I'm willing to bet every single staff member has broken a rule if not several during their playtime. 

(For example enforcing rules down to the absolute T when no one was affected by the rule break and the effort of punishing them exceeds the impact of the rule break)
Pages: 1 2