Limelight Forums

Full Version: IG Laws
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Apex

As a cop are you allowed to arrest anyone for anything so long as the reason sounds-about right?

Bit of a case study on my recent blacklist which really puzzled me as apparently it is not classed as corrupt to entirely make up laws on the spot to arrest you under.
It depends, making up laws is corruption, and it’s FailRP to be corrupt without benefit for yourself.

Apex

According to Doctor internet it's entirely valid and allowed within the rules, and was actually grounds to blacklist me for acting on said corruption.

But that doesn't seem right at all.

Apex

maybe you could explain in further details exactly how this is allowed?
There are permanent laws, common laws, and written laws

Common Laws are things such as:

Murder
Speeding
Vandalism
Destruction of property

Common laws are unwritten, but are agreed upon due to the US based culture we play in. If it’s federal law in the US or is a law that may exist in most states, it’s agreed upon to be against the law

Permanent laws can not be changed and are ALWAYS there. 

Written laws are the laws actually written by the Pres and VP. I think to think of them as state laws as they cover usually only state differences and sometimes unwritten laws.

In general, common law is understood, because no one wants to write out 100+ laws covering everything. What you got arrested for was perfectly valid and a real charge IRL.
As long as I can remember, some common sense laws and traffic code has been followed regardless of it being mentioned in the laws or not. iirc Murder is practically not illegal if the president doesn't explicitly state so.

I have seen people getting arrested for common reasons without it being on the laws hundreds if not thousands of times. Some of the most basic things would be dangerous driving, evasion, assault towards another individual, traffic violations, murder.
's explanation should answer your question. Anything else .

Apex

So, theoretically I could arrest anyone for anything so long as it as a resemblance to real US law? Even if it isn't strictly disallowed within the laws? 

Jaywalking = arrest?
Yelling = Arrest?
Carrying a crowbar and looking kinda shady = arrest?

Apex

Common laws are unwritten, but are agreed upon due to the US based culture we play in. If it’s federal law in the US or is a law that may exist in most states, it’s agreed upon to be against the law

Also where is this stated in the T&Cs / Rules? 

I don't remember agreeing to unwritten laws IG that would be based on the US federal system
(Sep 11, 2018, 06:07 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]So, theoretically I could arrest anyone for anything so long as it as a resemblance to real US law? Even if it isn't strictly disallowed within the laws? 

Jaywalking = arrest?
Yelling = Arrest?
Carrying a crowbar and looking kinda shady = arrest?

No, as all federal laws have maximum sentences. Also carry a crowbar isn’t necessary a crime. I’m not ok sure in the US but in the U.K. something is only a weapon if its intended to be used in that manor.
It isn't corruption to enforce unwritten laws. If I were to enforce a law that you didn't commit, such as arrest you for murder when I know all you did was run a red light, that would be corruption. It would also be corruption if I arrested you for bullshit reasons if they are not against the laws written by the president, such as wearing red, walking with a limp.
About you arresting anyone for any crime as long as it is against US law, no. Just because it is against the law doesn't mean you should arrest someone for it, and if you do then that would also most likely be corruption (unless it is a repeat offense). Minor speeding, running a single red light/stop sign, jaywalking etc would be things I would give a warning or citation for. Now if it were to happen on a regular basis with an individual, then it could escalate into an arrest.
This whole thread exists seemingly because your UBR and your AA didn't go your way and you seek support in the court of public opinion. Best of luck to you.
(Sep 11, 2018, 06:09 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]Common laws are unwritten, but are agreed upon due to the US based culture we play in. If it’s federal law in the US or is a law that may exist in most states, it’s agreed upon to be against the law

I don't remember agreeing to unwritten laws IG that would be based on the US federal system

You seemed to have been ok with it when it went your way and wasn’t the main opposition of your UBR and AA.

Amazing how nature do dat

Apex

(Sep 11, 2018, 07:50 PM)Gungranny Wrote: [ -> ]
(Sep 11, 2018, 06:09 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]Common laws are unwritten, but are agreed upon due to the US based culture we play in. If it’s federal law in the US or is a law that may exist in most states, it’s agreed upon to be against the law

You seemed to have been ok with it when it went your way and wasn’t the main opposition of your UBR and AA.

Okay, but if Limelight operates on a 3 tier law system which includes unwritten laws shouldn't they be outlined and have guidelines? 

Also not too worried about the blacklist; 8 hours tops.

The AA focused around the lack of investigation by Doc not the actual reason; Perhaps read it before making accusations?
(Sep 11, 2018, 08:42 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]
(Sep 11, 2018, 07:50 PM)Gungranny Wrote: [ -> ]

Okay, but if Limelight operates on a 3 tier law system which includes unwritten laws shouldn't they be outlined and have guidelines? 

Also not too worried about the blacklist; 8 hours tops.

The AA focused around the lack of investigation by Doc not the actual reason; Perhaps read it before making accusations?

I did actually and you did seem to knack on the fact that you think you were blacklist was unjustified by not only his “lack” of investigation, but also the actual reason of the blacklist being invalid.

I mean, it’s literally in your summary:
He blacklisted me for an entirely valid RP situation without even reading, or concluding the player report.

Again, amazing how nature do dat

EDIT: They are covered by the common sense clause in the rules. This is mostly due to people (you for example) who will complain when something doesn’t go their way and will nitpick the subject to fit their agenda. It’s written in a way that allows not only your side to use it as a defense, but also the staff to use it and define it for your future reference.
Pages: 1 2