Limelight Forums

Full Version: Ways to improve Police RP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Apex

Just a discussion thread on what you guys think would be good ways to improve the current state of Police RP on limelight?

I don't mean this in a purely police isolated sense, more to do with police abilities, what options they have to roleplay, how they interact with citizens on the server. Etc.
Guidelines.

In the old days, it was standard for even law enforcement to recite your rights, explain the reason for your arrest and simply be thorough with their procedures. I would suggest being more strict with this and ensuring that law enforcement maintains a sense of professionalism.

Apex

(Jul 21, 2018, 01:01 PM)Nevy Wrote: [ -> ]Guidelines.

In the old days, it was standard for even law enforcement to recite your rights, explain the reason for your arrest and simply be thorough with their procedures. I would suggest being more strict with this and ensuring that law enforcement maintains a sense of professionalism.

I agree with this entirely, currently it's down to the sergeant to create the rules, and keep a force in line but that's an extraordinary skill that not every player who plays sergeant will have. I also feel right now the police can do whatever they want short of point blank RDM and get away with it because there are no rules, or guidelines in place.
Whitelist, training and supervisors.

Officers need to be trained in at least how the law works and how to enforce it. We need to be trained in pursuits and combat as well - we're all bloody terrible at it.

Also contrary to popular belief, US officers don't have to read you your Miranda Rights unless they're asking you questions, however if they ask you anything and you've not been read your rights then your answer is inadmissable in court as evidence. What should always be explained is why you're being arrested and what the necessity for your arrest is.

Apex

(Jul 21, 2018, 02:15 PM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]Whitelist, training and supervisors.

Officers need to be trained in at least how the law works and how to enforce it. We need to be trained in pursuits and combat as well - we're all bloody terrible at it.

Also contrary to popular belief, US officers don't have to read you your Miranda Rights unless they're asking you questions, however if they ask you anything and you've not been read your rights then your answer is inadmissable in court as evidence. What should always be explained is why you're being arrested and what the necessity for your arrest is.
This would be nice but concepts such as SHACKs, GOWISELY, Etc. wouldn't translate well to the current user base...which is unfortunate however i do think that there needs to be more for the leader roles, as systems like Pixie, Smeac, etc. Would go far in making the police experience more authentic. (I'm assuming you know these acronyms as you are in police college or something right?)
(Jul 21, 2018, 02:38 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul 21, 2018, 02:15 PM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]Whitelist, training and supervisors.

This would be nice but concepts such as SHACKs, GOWISELY, Etc. wouldn't translate well to the current user base...which is unfortunate however i do think that there needs to be more for the leader roles, as systems like Pixie, Smeac, etc. Would go far in making the police experience more authentic. (I'm assuming you know these acronyms as you are in police college or something right?)

Volunteer with Police Scotland irl - hoping to join as an actual officer in a few years 

(I'm not a police officer or special constable)

Apex

(Jul 21, 2018, 02:41 PM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul 21, 2018, 02:38 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]

Volunteer with Police Scotland irl - hoping to join as an actual officer in a few years 

Not sure what that translates too in England-land but I imagine it's on a level with PCSO
(Jul 21, 2018, 02:42 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul 21, 2018, 02:41 PM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul 21, 2018, 02:38 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]This would be nice but concepts such as SHACKs, GOWISELY, Etc. wouldn't translate well to the current user base...which is unfortunate however i do think that there needs to be more for the leader roles, as systems like Pixie, Smeac, etc. Would go far in making the police experience more authentic. (I'm assuming you know these acronyms as you are in police college or something right?)

Not sure what that translates too in England-land but I imagine it's on a level with PCSO

Nah I don't have any powers or anything - Police Scotland runs a voluntary group with helps and does work in the community. It's kind of on-par with the English Volunteer Police Cadets, except here they like to stress that we are "volunteers" and doing "volunteer work"

We don't have PCSOs here for whatever reason

Apex

(Jul 21, 2018, 02:44 PM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul 21, 2018, 02:41 PM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]Volunteer with Police Scotland irl - hoping to join as an actual officer in a few years 

Nah I don't have any powers or anything - Police Scotland runs a voluntary group with helps and does work in the community

They weren't brought up, was a england based program that scotland decided against.
A possible suggestion would be to have a ''Standard Operating Procedures'' tab next to the Laws tab, however, it should only appear on the F1 menu whenever the player is in a government job. With the upcoming of the new interactive screen (I haven't used it but...), it might be possible to make a small SOP-type screen that players can click on and read off.

Next to that, basically what Judge said works the best. Whitelist, train with FTOs/instructors (maybe those who also have experience outside of Garry's Mod), proper supervisors among normal officers and a Sergeant/Captain to make sure those supervisors run smoothly.

Then again, plans to do this have been made s o  o f t e n and it just never happens. Whitelisting is good for a position like this, but the majority doesn't agree with it as they're certain they won't make it into the force. Others disagree and find this too complicated and too ''realistic'' to fit within a semi-serious community, and etc. etc. etc, hence why I stopped making detailed posts about this; they get discarded anyways. Some of them are still findable through some old suggestions other players made, however.

This and not to mention escalation of force. An unarmed man shouldn’t be aimed at with a firearm. You could also add listening to radio more often. If someone says no additionals required, it means you don’t need to show up.
(Jul 21, 2018, 02:41 PM)Judge Rage Wrote: [ -> ]Volunteer with Police Scotland irl - hoping to join as an actual officer in a few years 

Nah I don't have any powers or anything - Police Scotland runs a voluntary group with helps and does work in the community. It's kind of on-par with the English Volunteer Police Cadets, except here they like to stress that we are "volunteers" and doing "volunteer work"

so basically a police explorer

the JROTC losers of the police
(Jul 30, 2018, 10:20 PM)Dan Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul 21, 2018, 02:42 PM)Apex Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure what that translates too in England-land but I imagine it's on a level with PCSO

so basically a police explorer

the JROTC losers of the police

except JROTC don't have the added bonus of nearly getting hit by a fucking car and your radio not working at all

oh and wearing a high-vis jacket too
(Jul 30, 2018, 09:48 PM)Gungranny Wrote: [ -> ]

This and not to mention escalation of force. An unarmed man shouldn’t be aimed at with a firearm. You could also add listening to radio more often. If someone says no additionals required, it means you don’t need to show up.

I think a big part of escalation of force is just fearRP. people dont give a fuck until you pull out ur gun. 

and my solution to bad policeRP: dont let europeans be cops. only americans. our cops are better.
(Jul 30, 2018, 11:54 PM)Hungames Wrote: [ -> ]I think a big part of escalation of force is just fearRP. people dont give a fuck until you pull out ur gun. 

and my solution to bad policeRP: dont let europeans be cops. only americans. our cops are better.

Keep the europeans, by not allowing them to RP as LEO your not only restricting their ability to RP but you could be looking at less officers.
Pages: 1 2