Limelight Forums

Full Version: The current state of LimeLight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm more then sure threads like these have been put in beforehand, however I would really like to reflect on Limelight in its current position.
I'll first go through my history with LL, so the newer people can sort of get a perspective to what I see.
In no means does this mean I am trying to be a dick or whatever, however this is my personal and complete truthful opinion.

When I started in 2015 a lot of updates were pushed out, and a lot of players who had initially joined after the split came with the release of LL. It was a tough start, a very tough start however people stuck by. I believe those people in particular have left because of boredom, or simply have been driven away.

I believe that these people had joined due to what LL had wanted to become, a fluent, transparent community that had an aim to be a friendly community, and whilst I can still admit it's somewhat friendly, other factors bring that down.. a lot. The start was full of those who actually wanted LL to have a future, and they/we stuck by. Even after the DDoS attacks and all that shit. Those players in particular were very experienced within CityRP, and the community was full of immersive roleplay that was very enjoyable. Granted it's always decreased in the immersive roleplays since the start, but it was very slow within 2015/2016. 2016 in particular, we saw a lot of updates that were mainly for the Government, however I still saw many opportunities available in passive RP, and saw many Administrators back at the time as well do passive roleplays. This was at the time and were teachers, I believe (Times have changed!)

Now, I had moved around a bit and I didn't have access to my computer for roughly around 7/8 months, and coming on once every I'd say 4 weeks. Roleplay still happened, kind of, but it wasn't the same. Many of the people I knew left, and many updates were there which was a good thing but I knew nothing about it. Not only that, but people started to act differently in terms of roleplay, I saw it but I thought LL was still thriving, and it still had roleplay. It was no where near as good as it was in the past, but it was still there.

Once I had retrieved my computer I used to join LL a lot again, and this was before the Rockford change. I used to play, even with the 999 ping I used to always get due to very weak connections, and whilst the roleplay was different still, I made the best of it and roleplay was still somewhat okay, but the 'immersive' attitude I saw was barely existent, but at least roleplay of sorts actually happened.

Now I rarely come on, and the past few days I've tried to get back to LL, and honestly all I can say is: What the fuck happened to LL? I don't see any immersive roleplay anymore, I can only be on the servers with people I know who can roleplay otherwise I lose interest immediately. And even so, when I do and we try to roleplay seriously people always come in guns blazing, or have ridiculous roleplays or even so just try to break our roleplay. Yes, I'll admit there is some roleplays going on, but it happens so rarely it's like nothing is there. 

When people talk, it's like it's a DarkRP community. People don't take their character even remotely semi-seriously anymore, and that is either due to how the community has shifted, or newer members have learnt from others. If this is the case, we shouldn't teaching them how to roleplay like a run and gun, 'fuck it' theme, but as if you generally care about the character. I believe I remember a description in the rules going something like 'Think the character like you would be IRL', I NEVER see that anymore. 

It's upsetting, because (whilst I guess people cannot see this as well as some people from the start who have taken a major break from LL) this community was set out to be something completely different, and sadly I don't see it anymore. I really don't.

Now, how do we fix this? How do we go back to the old LL? Yes, people will say it can't be done, and your right, it cant. There isn't a way to TRULY go back to the old LL, but there are some things we can do. Discuss.
Accountability is the main issue I see. To have a successful community, you need proper enforcement of the community so no one is picked on or is treated unfairly. Staff members that routinely do not meet expectations (Including myself) are not given punishment, but “warnings”. These have bee proven to be ineffective. This along with staff members in alternate roles should either be replaced from the position or trained to be better.

Communication with the community is a lacking factor as well. Not to mention the players that keep this community alive don’t seem to have as big of an impact on opinion towards future development more than the select few in administrative positions. I understand not ALL ideas can be given that the community wants, but it seems that the community’s ideas to progress the GM is not considered from higher up’s (Proof being the more Cops vs Robbers) aspect. 

This combined with lack of knowledge of what’s happening Development and IA wise (Which makes these “warning” and demotions questionable to most players) leaves some or even most players distrusting who is in charge. If this community was just a LITTLE bit transparent with its members, maybe they could understand why staff do what they do, and maybe then their will be less toxicity towards staff. 

Lastly and simply: Rules are put above RP Freedom. Staff sacrifices a player’s RP even if it goes above the norm of most because a rule says no. They should be guidelines, not rules. This is a RP server. If someone wants to develop and put excessive detail into a serial killer RP, allow them to RDM as long as it means something to their RP. If someone wants to be corrupt and attack others of the same faction, if it’s developed enough allow it.

Rule sshould never come above a well-developed RP. Maybe that’s why people are intimidated to play Criminal RP when they can just be government and be worry free because it’s handled IC
Couldnt agree with you more honestly Soviet, especially tournament comment on those who have stuck by
Gonna bump this, as I feel this is a serious matter.

Apex

I think the biggest issues have been highlighted quite well by

But I think the other issue right now is that not a lot has been done to allow crime rp to be anything but aggressive, reclusive or invasive. 

What I mean by that is a lot of the people who do crime RP are using it as cover to aggressiveRP (Take the job "thug" for example), not to actually roleplay as a criminal.

There isn't a lot for people doing crime rp, the best they can do is pseudo RP it but there are no formal systems in place beyond contra, car stealing, robbery and murder....