Limelight Forums

Full Version: Map Tethering & Real Estate Transactions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let me start this off with a question.

Q: What if you could purchase real-estate permanently?

Imagine tethering/linking additional maps that offer different RP Zones that can expand our limitations. Wouldn't it be a neat concept to design a system that allows you to continuously transfer your character and on-hand items to another map (?)

I know  brought up this idea in the Map Tethering Update a long time ago and I see such potential in this as it can allow us to link together smaller maps that are dedicated for certain role-play types.

(Jul 23, 2016, 03:30 PM)Faustie Wrote: [ -> ]We're working on a few ideas to both optimise this and decrease loading times if possible, and also to create some actual sync between the maps, including possibly chat sync.

I see this as a way to remedy the economy and also to offer an actual incentive to earning money - being the ability to invest in tangible, real property that you can own/lease/rent however you please. 

Imagine a Gated Community with mansions that can be purchased for prices upwards of $10,000,000-$25,000,000 that you would be able to own. Things such as Contraband would be disabled in these Map Tethered areas considering the lack of moderation by law enforcement, however, I think it's equally as desirable even without that feature being a possibility. 

Imagine a Corporate Office Complex with entire office buildings, parking structures and surrounding context (ie. Park)

These spaces, if not already purchased by the user, would be owned by an NPC Company that you could lease/rent from for one server-session and this only changes if a user has permanently purchased it.

Areas that you purchase might even allow you to place down furniture/decorations that don't disappear after you disconnect and maybe this ties into the already existent feature of auto-save and /restoreprops. 

I could definitely see this applying especially to areas that might not even allow you to have vehicles. Maybe it's an entrance to a fully developed underground system with an endless amount of RP Zones for your Black Market Dealers, criminals, homeless and potentially underground stores/spaces such as a nightclub.

Now of course, things would have to be thought out even further and as Faustie mentioned years ago - there would need to be a continuous sync. If a law enforcement officer transferred maps, his slot should remain reserved on the main server, although this might not even be needed if a Permanent Character system was in-place as being in law enforcement would extend beyond one server-session and it wouldn't be the F1-Join mechanism that we currently have in place.

Just throwing out the idea of this as I personally would love a system like this. Permanent properties, as I've heard, are existent on some RP Servers on Garry's Mod already. 

I'd imagine this would re-ignite the player market and actually bring forth a new coming of potential Property Management groups that might own a few apartments/condos and shops that lease out to players in periods of weeks/months.

Feel free to add to this idea and what you think!
hard yes for me
what ever happened to the idea sounds like a dream!