Limelight Forums

Full Version: Travel Enthusiasts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I figured at least a few other people here like (or have) to travel, so I figured we could make a thread describing our favourite forms of travel, where we've been, our favourite places, etc.

Some of you may know that I tend to travel every so often to see my family, which lives half-way around the world.
As such I have gained quite the affection for SE Asia and I try to explore as much as possible when I'm over there.

Apart from that I've always loved to travel and believe I've been to every western European country there is (except for Switzerland for some reason.)
Belgium will of course always be a sort of second-home seeing as I moved there is my early teens and lived there until I finished boarding school and moved back to my home country of Sweden to study at University.

My top 3 places that I love to revisit every so often is:

1. Brussels - A beautiful city which in my opinion has the best of everything, French food and Dutch kindness, the mix between what is new and what is old and generally a very good mix of everything I love about Europe.
(case in point: https://i.imgur.com/W3UtIF6.jpg)

Speaking of which, having Belgium as your "starting spot" makes it very easy to travel to pretty much every country in Europe.
Want to go for lunch in Germany? Done.
Dinner in France? Done.
Take the rail to London for a weekend or even a day trip? Done.

2. Gothenburg - What? But that's city I currently live in! (Well, 20 minutes away, but close enough.)
Yes! It might seem odd, but there's always something different about coming home when you've been away for an extended period of time, and Gothenburg is truly a beautiful city.

The mix of a relatively large city that is right next to the sea creates this relaxed yet large-city feeling which I have yet to experience in many other places. (Yes, many large cities are by the water, but once a city get's "too big" (above a few million) you no longer feel like you're living by the sea, you're just living in the city.)

3. Bangkok - Ok, so it might not be the most beautiful city in the world (at least not from a street perspective, unless your definition of beautiful is hanging electrical wires on every street)

But, what it doesn't have in beauty on the outside, it makes up for in hospitality and general cheerfulness on the inside. I don't think I've ever seen a depressed Thai person, they're always in a good mood. Maybe it's the year-round great weather, maybe it's the plentiful light beer, but whatever it is it makes for a very fun and comfortable atmosphere. Unlike some more upscale Asian cities (Tokyo and Hong Kong come to mind) you will never feel like you're on the outside looking in, you actually feel like you're part of the city. (And that's coming from a 180cm, blonde, Scandinavian which doesn't really fit in anywhere in the world.)

Those are my (current) top 3 places that I like to revisit again and again, but there are of course plenty of other beautiful places in the world (I really must go to Switzerland at some point.)

So tell me, what are your favourite places to travel to and why?
Most of my Mum and Dad's side of the family all live in India so I visit India once a year to meet them and be a Tourist at the same time and it is quite spectacular.

The main reasons I like visiting India is because of how culturally different it is compared to the UK, also the Tourist Attractions are pretty amazing (Taj Mahal, River Ganges etc) and I've also been to many places of Worship - one of them involved going up 600 steps to reach a Holy Temple that was situated on a mountain Big Grin
Scotland. It’s at the top of my list. Family heritage and just goin overseas would be exciting.
San Francisco is one of my favorite places of all time. Can't even place exactly why. They have a huge homeless problem, weather is generally UK-esc (foggy/overcast), but there's something about the place.
That and Georgetown. Georgetown is picturesque. 

Cuba is lovely, if you're at the age where you can enjoy drinking and meeting people, it is really chill. Sitting outside a bar in the sun, good food (and cigars?). Ultimate relaxation.

Provence region of France is great, Iceland is very cool from nature perspective.

These are the places that stick out in my mind.

have a picture I took in August.

[Image: c791a5040ae0e55bc7d5e27381e5b2bf.png]
skegness Big Grin
(May 9, 2018, 10:37 PM)Jono Wrote: [ -> ]San Francisco is one of my favorite places of all time. Can't even place exactly why. They have a huge homeless problem, weather is generally UK-esc (foggy/overcast), but there's something about the place.
That and Georgetown. Georgetown is picturesque. 

Cuba is lovely, if you're at the age where you can enjoy drinking and meeting people, it is really chill. Sitting outside a bar in the sun, good food (and cigars?). Ultimate relaxation.

Provence region of France is great, Iceland is very cool from nature perspective.

These are the places that stick out in my mind.

have a picture I took in August.

[Image: c791a5040ae0e55bc7d5e27381e5b2bf.png]

Yeah I've noticed that Cuba is getting really popular in the last few years. Guess people want to visit before the second revolution. Would be nice to visit, always wanted to go for a longer time to the Caribbean/Central America.

France in general is lovely. The idea that the French are rude is quite exaggerated in my opinion, you just gotta take them with a grain of salt is all  Wink .

Also definitely want to see San Francisco if I ever visit the U.S.
(May 9, 2018, 11:08 PM)Da Cool Cow Wrote: [ -> ]skegness Big Grin

Hadn't heard of until now, looks like it's got a lot of amusement parks and such?
Also funny name since "skegg" means beard in Norse, which is where I guess the town got it's name  Grin
(May 9, 2018, 10:03 PM)Gungranny Wrote: [ -> ]Scotland. It’s at the top of my list. Family heritage and just goin overseas would be exciting.

Ah, a red blooded American I see  Wink

Scotland has some beautiful landscapes, but if you're going to Europe for an extended time I would definitely recommend checking out more of Europe, even if just for a few days sightseeing. I guarantee you wouldn't regret it.
(May 9, 2018, 09:52 PM)VIVZZ Wrote: [ -> ]Most of my Mum and Dad's side of the family all live in India so I visit India once a year to meet them and be a Tourist at the same time and it is quite spectacular.

The main reasons I like visiting India is because of how culturally different it is compared to the UK, also the Tourist Attractions are pretty amazing (Taj Mahal, River Ganges etc) and I've also been to many places of Worship - one of them involved going up 600 steps to reach a Holy Temple that was situated on a mountain Big Grin

Ah neat!
The British-Indian relations I've always found interesting, since they're still very much active today. but more culturally than just trade wise.

Temples are always interesting to see, although I suppose they're a bit more interesting for people who actually have a personal connection to them. I always find myself going "oh, neat architecture... Now what?"  Grin
I believe my favorite place to travel would be my home country Serbia. I love meeting relatives, eat the amazing food, take part of the culture, music and of course as I am a history enthusiast I often visit historical monuments, as Serbia was a central place in both WW1 and WW2. 

Second would probably be Britain or Bulgaria.
(May 9, 2018, 10:03 PM)Gungranny Wrote: [ -> ]Scotland. It’s at the top of my list. Family heritage and just goin overseas would be exciting.

good lad
Dubai is the best C:
i was born in England but soon moved to new Zealand and have traveled a bit

England ( 8 Years) (Currently live here)

New Zealand (6 years) (Absolutely loved it over there but UN-fortunately had to return home because of family health)

Ireland (Dublin) and (Waterford) ( 7 days) (Went on tour with my rugby team)

Germany (Berlin) ( 4 Days) (With my school)
i have plenty of places i love to go but here are a few

1. bed, bed is my fav place of them all. sleep and ignore everyones bullshit as you snore your arse off

2. to my desk, i like to log onto limelight and rdm everyone

3. to the fridge and back, food. best thing init. like going there to gain some weight
traveling to evocity is cool
Pages: 1 2