Limelight Forums

Full Version: Police Handbook (Work in progress)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all, I just want some feedback, I got bored and started to do a lot of research on police handbooks and rules and laws out there. I thought I'd toss what I find together and tweak it for RP, so there is a full guide for officers
Tell me what you think so far, Its only got the Objectives side done; I still have a lot to go

Personal Conduct, Community Relations, Community Affairs, Law enforcement operations, General Management procedures, Records and reports, Uniforms and personal Equipment, Personal Management, Communications, Booking Custody and disposition of property, Follow up investigation are not done yet.

OBJECTIVES

110. The motto of the Department.
120. PRIMARY OBJECTIVE.
130.  FUNCTIONAL  OBJECTIVES.
130.10 PREVENTION OF CRIME
130.20 DETERRENCE OF CRIME.
130.25 REVERENCE  FOR HUMAN LIFE.
130.30 APPREHENSION OF OFFENDERS.

110. The motto of the Department
The motto, "To Protect and To Serve," states the essential purpose of the Rockford Department.  The Department protects the right of all persons within its jurisdiction to be free from criminal attack, to be secure in their possessions, and to live in peace.  The Department serves the people of Rockford by performing the law enforcement function in a professional manner, and it is to these people that the Department is ultimately responsible.

120. PRIMARY OBJECTIVE.
A large urban society free from crime and disorder remains an unachieved ideal; nevertheless, consistent with the values of a free society, it is the primary objective of the Rockford Police Department to as closely as possible approach that ideal.  In so doing, the Department's role is to enforce the law in a fair and impartial manner, recognizing both the statutory and judicial limitations of police authority and the constitutional right of all persons.  It is not the role of the Department to legislate, to render legal judgments, or to punish.

130.  FUNCTIONAL  OBJECTIVES.

130.10 PREVENTION OF CRIME
Peace in a free society depends on voluntary compliance with the law. The primary responsibility for upholding the law, therefore, lies not with the police, but with the people. Since crime is a social phenomenon, crime prevention is the concern of every person living in society. Society employs full-time professional police to prevent crime, to deter it, and when that fails, to apprehend those who violate the law.
Crime is a symptom of ills within society which is not the responsibility of the Department to cure. The Department is responsible, however, for interacting with the community to generate mutual understanding so that there may be public support for crime prevention. Community involvement is essential to facilitate a free flow of information between the public and the Department to assist in the identification of problem areas and to inform the public of crime statistics and trends.  Additionally, knowledge of the community is necessary so that each Department employee may be instilled with a sense of concern for the crime problems and law enforcement needs in his assigned area of responsibility.
The Prevention of crime remains as a basic obligation of society. When it becomes necessary to rely on police action to secure compliance with the law, society has failed in this responsibility.

130.20 DETERRENCE OF CRIME.
While there are certain crimes that cannot be deterred, crimes committed against property and against innocent victims in public places are reduced by police patrol.  Street crime is curbed by the potential criminal's fear of immediate apprehension or by the increased likelihood of his detection. The deterrence of crime requires the investigation of behavior which reasonably appears to be criminally directed.
In deploying patrol forces to deter crime and to inspire public confidence in its ability to ensure a peaceful environment, the Department must strike a balance between the desirable deterrent effect of visible patrol and any undesirable appearance of oppression. In the long run, however, it must be the people, not the Department, who determine the limitations on their freedom.

130.25 REVERENCE  FOR HUMAN LIFE.
Reverence for human life is the primary consideration in developing tactics and strategies in pursuit of our motto;  "To Protect and To Serve. " Whenever an operation designed to achieve an immediate goal such as the arrest of a felon or the gathering of evidence to complete a criminal investigation causes a victim, witness, or other innocent person to be subjected to potential injury or death, our primary objective must be to protect that person.  No arrest, conviction, or piece of evidence can outweigh the value of human life.

130.30 APPREHENSION OF OFFENDERS.
The administration of criminal justice consists of the identification, arrest, prosecution, punishment, and rehabilitation of a law violator, and it has as its objective the voluntary compliance with the law as an alternative to punishment.  Once a crime has been committed, it is the duty of the Department to initiate the criminal justice process by identifying and arresting the perpetrator, to obtain necessary evidence, and to cooperate in the prosecution of the case. As the certainty of swift and sure punishment serves as an effective deterrent to crime, the Department must diligently strive to solve all crimes and to bring the perpetrators to justice.
Good idea that some could definitely take note of. But, in my opinion, not ready to be implemented yet.

At least, not until the government teams will be whitelisted so these type of handbooks, SOPs, etc. can be properly followed.
NICE ONE ZYTHO THIS IS VERY COOL AND I APPLAUDE U ZYTHO
I do like the attempt and the work put into it, but sadly as Wesley said it won't have any REAL effect unless we have a whitelisted or trained PD and/or all emergency services. It's sad to see the amount of effort you put into this wasted because of this error in our GM.
(Mar 26, 2018, 09:27 PM)Gungranny Wrote: [ -> ]I do like the attempt and the work put into it, but sadly as Wesley said it won't have any REAL effect unless we have a whitelisted or trained PD and/or all emergency services. It's sad to see the amount of effort you put into this wasted because of this error in our GM.

If the chief wants realistic RP surely he can put this de facto regulations in place?
(Mar 26, 2018, 09:46 PM)Faustin Wrote: [ -> ]
(Mar 26, 2018, 09:27 PM)Gungranny Wrote: [ -> ]I do like the attempt and the work put into it, but sadly as Wesley said it won't have any REAL effect unless we have a whitelisted or trained PD and/or all emergency services. It's sad to see the amount of effort you put into this wasted because of this error in our GM.

If the chief wants realistic RP surely he can put this de facto regulations in place?

Yes, but that doesn't mean this is going to succeed. This has been tried before by other users and it doesn't work. Why? Because people that DO want to use these are 1. Not always going to be the Chief, and 2. most likely won't want to read this.

Again, it's a nice attempt but players would rather pop in and play and not have to read and enforce a wall of text which has no negatives to NOT know. Leading to people questioning what X and Y is and someone answering that they're B and C and not D and E. It's just a fruitless attempt.

It WOULD be successful if people who wanted to be PD would need to reveiw through this information and understand it so everyone is on the same page. That way it effects the PD as a WHOLE and not just a few players.
Ya, I was going to write it as something you can read when you wish, I'm going to keep working on it but farcry5 Smile