Limelight Forums

Full Version: Ping Problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've been noticing my ping go over 900 every 5 minutes and go back down again I don't know what the problem with that is, however this is not a new issue because i believe it used to go over 900 every hour and it didn't really seem to bother me enough but now that it's going over 900 every 5 minutes it's really bugging me.
Have you changed router or modem recently?
(Mar 24, 2018, 07:46 PM)_Cole Wrote: [ -> ]Have you changed router or modem recently?

No, but I got a WiFi Extender a month or two ago
WiFi extenders can increase ping. Try connecting directly to the router preferably on a wired Ethernet connection see if you have the same issue.
(Mar 24, 2018, 08:42 PM)Vadar Wrote: [ -> ]WiFi extenders can increase ping. Try connecting directly to the router preferably on a wired Ethernet connection see if you have the same issue.

I'll have a go in a few hours
I would recommend a houseline adapter if you're struggling for signal. If you don't know what they are, it's simple.

When you buy one, it will come with 2 blocks and 2 short ethernet cables. You plug one of the blocks into the mains next to your router, then wire an ethernet from your router to the block you just plugged in. You then go to your PC/laptop, plug the second adapter in next to that and wire the cable from the block to your laptop/PC. The internet connection travels like this:

Router > Adapter #1 > House electric cables inside the walls of your home > Adapter #2 > PC/Laptop

They're fairly cheap (mine was around £20) and easy to set up. I use one and they're just as fast as ethernet. You can expect high pings especially if you're upstairs and your router is downstairs, as walls, ceilings, walls and thick furniture can disrupt a wireless signal. Tell me if you have any questions because I researched this a lot back when I bought mine and it's been great so far.

If you have different circuits in your house, for example: if you got an extension - Then they don't work :/
Try something simple like restarting your broadband box.
Sidenote, wouldn't recommend the whole powerline route unless you were really desperate. They aren't the best for speeds, fairly sure pings aren't much better with it either but I could be mistaken.
(Mar 25, 2018, 09:24 AM)Nightmare Wrote: [ -> ]Sidenote, wouldn't recommend the whole powerline route unless you were really desperate. They aren't the best for speeds, fairly sure pings aren't much better with it either but I could be mistaken.

My powerline route works just fine. I get around 30 down and 10 up, which is what I'm paying for. My ping is pretty consistent too, so I wouldn't say what you've said applies to me but that could be down to many many more factors.
Turns Out The Extender Was Causing The Abnormal Ping So I'm Just Gonna Connect My Laptop To The Hub Directly But Wirelessly Also The Hub Is Downstairs And I Usually Play Upstairs Hence Why I Won't Use Ethernet. 

Thanks To You All For Helping Me Solve This Problem.

This Thread Can Be Closed.
Closed