Limelight Forums

Full Version: LL's generally toxic state.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Toxic behavior here is becoming more and more of an issue.  Users are generally being shitty towards one another simply because they can.  This is causing players to reduce play time and/or leave the community.  Many of the toxic users blame others for why they choose to be how they are.

This shit has to stop.  If you have a serious issue with the community, you could take a break, leave, or simply keep from shitposting in places where it isn't needed.  Just because you have a voice, doesn't mean that you should use it to shit on other people or intentionally derail threads.

Sadly, several of the Veteran tag wearers are more vocally toxic around here.  This leaves the impression to newer users that it is okay to be toxic here.  Yesterday morning, on the server, several higher hour players were asked to stop using non-english in the OOC chat by a moderator.  They continued to do so, even after being asked not to multiple times, making said moderator and the posted rules look like a complete joke to the lower hour players.

Without posting emotion packed excuses for this activity, we as a community need to come up with some ideas on how to combat this issue.  I've requested that HR re-evaluate the situation, as well as provided some evidence to show exactly what I'm talking about, in hopes that there will be a reform of some kind.

It doesn't take anything to be a decent person, except a little effort.  It takes less effort to be decent, then to be toxic.  If you feel like this is directed at you, it probably is.  There isn't an excuse that makes what you are doing okay.  If you feel this isn't a real issue, feel free to look around.  There is a difference between expressing an opinion, posting simply to be a dick.  The goodbye threads, discussion threads, suggestion threads, aren't the place to go throw up troll bullshit, memes, or talk shit.  You telling others "if you don't like it, leave" as a regular user is only causing damage to the community that you claim to care about. If your excuse is "I don't care," then take your own advice and leave.

Anyone got any ideas on how to counter this issue?
There are always people on the internet who are gonna be toxic. Just like the minority of people in life too.
I don't we can counter the issue but I think we can ignore the issue until the toxic people realise that we don't actually care about what they're doing. Toxic people are fuelled by the reactions of other peoples reactions towards them. So all we have to do is take no notice of them as long as they're not breaking any rules.
A few of the veterans need to grow up. Acting like children cos they no longer have power is genuinely so pathetic.
Agree with everything above.

IMO stricter rules need to be implemented regarding shitposting. It's become a complete joke here with too many threads being derailed by people who have nothing better to do. And yes, unfortunately some of these people are/were Veterans and give people the idea that posting shit everywhere is okay because they were once trusted with an admin rank.

Some staff also seem pretty relaxed about this, and it needs to change.
(Dec 3, 2017, 08:12 AM)Jokhah Wrote: [ -> ]Many of the toxic users blame others for why they choose to be how they are.

Yesterday morning, on the server, several higher hour players were asked to stop using non-english in the OOC chat by a moderator.  They continued to do so, even after being asked not to multiple times, making said moderator and the posted rules look like a complete joke to the lower hour players.

First bit: Severely punish or remove those users from the OOC channel(s), TeamSpeak, the forums or the community as a whole. Someone who is only fueling a problem instead of trying to be a solution for it should not be a part of this community and able to voice their opinion in the disrespectful, rule-breaking or derailing manner they generally tend to do. Take that crap somewhere else, or preferably, don't take it out on others at all.

Second bit: A community member with 100 hours or more should know by now that the OOC channel(s) are English-only. It's fine if you forget it, tried to make a joke or made a mistake as most of us are all human by the end of the day.

However, it's not fine when you continue after being warned multiple times about it and told to stop. Whoever did it should have lost their access from the channel(s) for a short period of time as they would have shown complete disregard and lack of respect towards the staff member that was trying to enforce the rules.

Generally, I feel like some of the rules regarding disruptive, disrespectful, derailing, fueling, etc. (rule 1.4 and forum's General Rules) behavior should be enforced a lot stricter. I also feel that those (especially 'older' members of the community) who choose to fuel an issue instead of trying to find a solution for it or just remain silent and let others try and find a solution for it, should be punished.

I believe this picture quite accurately represents what you're trying to state about ''blaming others'', .
(other user's replies in between have been edited away, but it all connects to the same issue)

Tl;Dr:
Don't get me wrong here. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, obviously.
However, try to say those in a respectful and structured manner and just, for a second, think about the fact that you're talking to another human being when voicing said opinion.

If you are only here to sow hatred, blame others for an issue that is going on (and then continue to fuel that issue yourself) and harass other members: You are not in the right community.
Just demote Toxic xDDD (just a joke don't ban me)

Words of Wisdom from big daddy Murdoch

Quote:They're veterans for a reason, they chose to give away their power they didn't have it taken away from them and throw their toys out the pram, or create a facade in the first place, or after, that they think would please the admins. If they're going about their business as they wish when it really causes no harm other than to the morals of robots with a loosely based arbitrary 'ban warrant' then good on them. 

There's a difference between shitposting and well-placed, topical humour. Sometimes humour helps to win people over to your side of the argument. That's why people sometimes put jokes in speeches.

Replies that contain outright shitposting is because the post is worthless or attention seeking in the first place and only contained by a facade of authenticity or victim playing.
Ngl there are people who shitpost too much but thats the internet, only way to stop it is to make a rule around it.

Most of what Murdoch said there I can agree with except this piece.

"Replies that contain outright shitposting is because the post is worthless or attention seeking in the first place and only contained by a facade of authenticity or victim playing."

That basically is saying that if someone shit posts, it's because the main post was worthless/attention seeking. That is complete bullshit, an excuse used by people whom shitpost where they shouldn't to defend why they did it.

(Same logic applied to a real life situation)
Example: She was dressed like a slut, so I raped her. She asked for it. If she didn't want to be raped, she wouldn't have dressed like that.

It's not about playing the victim, because in his example he's actually creating one. Just because you feel like someone's post is worthless or attention seeking, doesn't mean that you can shitpost it based on your opinion. That is a toxic mindset.

To you directly: Please refrain from posting "jokes" on this thread, as we are in the serious discussion threads. This isn't the place for them.
Here is a link to the rules for this sub-forum. https://limelightgaming.net/forums/thread-9077.html

While I agree that not all toxic behavior is severe enough to engage, some of it is. Ignoring it works to a degree, but sometimes that doesn't help either. I've been trying a "kill'em with kindness" method that seems to have more effect than simply ignoring it.

The issue with the guys who know how to dance within the lines of the rules while still doing it is that it's costing the community in the form of members. You have players reducing playtime and/or leaving completely, because they are being harassed and nothing is being done because the harassment isn't classified as severe enough to action.

Example: https://limelightgaming.net/forums/thread-18555.html

I urge you to read the above thread and tell me when you spot the "within the rules" toxic behavior. There is a user there that is a prime example of being toxic within the guidelines of the posted rules. His name doesn't need to be mentioned, however figuring out how to reduce his type of behavior is the purpose of this discussion.