Limelight Forums

Full Version: Animation Contest!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: 5GNHNJu.gif]

We are looking for talented individuals who can make custom animations, animations can be made by anyone using the API, however, there is always more to learn. With this contest we are giving away in-game cash rewards, as well as a possible position in the contributor team if you show advanced skill in creating animations. Animating is something that you can't rush. We have a lot of talented individuals on LimeLight, this is your chance to create something for the server anyone will be able to use!

How do I create an animation in Garry's Mod? 

Well, if you where to do it without any tools, it would be quite difficult, lucky for us, there is a unofficial Animation API. This is also how the animations for our /handsup command where made!

Which can be found here: https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=821202
And downloaded here: https://heavy.noxiousnet.com/boneanimlibv5.rar

Installation

Extract the RAR file, and take the files inside of the animationsapi folder. You will have to place them as instructed below.
cl_animeditor     Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\lua\autorun\client
cl_boneanimlib   Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\lua\autorun\client
boneanimlib       Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\lua\autorun\server
sh_boneanimlib  Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\lua\autorun

How to use the API?

Alright, now you have everything installed, you are ready to start animating!
Type animate into your in-game console, to open the animation editor. If you hold right click you can move the camera, up down, left right. However you cannot change the angle. The angle the camera is at is based on where you are looking before you type the animate command. To close the editor simply type animate in the console again, or click on the C at the top left of your screen.

Alright, now, let's start with our first animation!
Click the new animation button on the right of your screen. You will be greeted with this window
[Image: yqByaQR.jpg]
Enter a name for your animation, and then select the type. There are four types. 
Gesture - A gesture is something like a wave, you do it once, and then stop doing it.
Posture - A posture is standing in a certain way, sitting, etc. Inanimate. 
Sequence - A sequence of animations, like reloading, and trowing the magazine away.
Stance - A certain way of standing, or moving, similar to putting your hands up when you move. Similar to posture, but then works while moving.
[Image: jBbwlmo.jpg]
I suggest you start with a posture, to learn the ropes.
Now, to the side, we'll need to select the bone group. There are generally two bone-groups on a model. 
ValveBiped and ValveBiped.Bip01. ValveBiped is used for most bigger movements, of certain limbs, ValveBiped.Bip01 is used for smaller movements, like fingers. Once you select either one category, you will be presented with a bunch of editable bones.
[Image: IF1Br7S.jpg]
Once you have selected a bone to edit, it will point create three lines from it, allowing you to edit it''s rotation, you can also edit the rotation with the sliders to the side of the screen. From here on out, it's all up-to you to figure it out, you can save animations, or copy the raw GLua and load them at a later date. 

Screenshots of your works can be posted here! Files can be send through forum pm.

Happy animating!

Banner graphics done by the amazing
Love this, I think I already have a few.
This is actually really interesting.

I'll definitely give this a shot - I was planning to go down the route of animating within 3DS but gave up because it seemed to not particularly like me :^)

Best of luck to those who enter, this is gonna be one hell of a competition.
interesting might try it
May try to do something. Smile
Holy shit this is basically like the tools I use to model ragdolls. Dis gon' be gud
It's actually decently easy to get the hang off, so by all means try. I am sure you'll all do a great job. Especially compared to me. Looking forward to seeing what you guys create.
very cool
The winner will get to slap Brynn in the face!
definetly competing now.
I don't assume there is a limit as anything good can be used in the server?
Middle finger gesture will win, do it
(Jun 5, 2017, 03:59 AM)Jono Wrote: [ -> ]Middle finger gesture will win, do it

Tried. Impossible to do with our models Sad
If anyone knows how to stop the idle swaying the character does, please tell me as I can't make certain animations Sad

Both are Postures
[Image: 36d5370443fca74042ddb2d5a5f041d8.jpeg]
[Image: 55a1bc6182e0d638ecc6bff3fc9658ee.jpeg]
Could be cool if animation for reading a newspaper was added (and entity for it) - would make surveillance RP more interesting. (Furthermore could be added alongside a newspaper & player created book update!)
Pages: 1 2