Limelight Forums

Full Version: Increasing Your FPS with a Configuration File
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello LL.

Today, I will share with you my solution to fix the hell that we call FPS. As we know Garry's Mod is a really unstable game, and we all gets mad when it crashes or when we have low FPS. Follow this guide and i can assure you a better experience in Gmod!
I  will show you how to increase your FPS in-game with ~25 FPS. Right now, many people on LL have around 10-20 FPS, when I have around 40, and I do not have a monster computer at all. I prefer that you execute the FPSBoost while you are in the menu screen, this to making the game crash.

NOTE: You can mess around with the commands however you want, but i prefer that you leave it as it is.

1. Create your own fpsboost.cfg file by rightclicking somewhere in directory here (a notepad file): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\cfg

2. Paste this in the fpsboost.cfg file (https://pastebin.com/T5xZRWNd)

3. When you start your Garry's Mod, open your console

4. Type exec fpsboost and press enter. (You have to do this everytime you start Gmod)

5. Now your Garry's Mod is modified, what you need to do now to not get weird car models is to set your model & detail textures to HIGH. You can do that by going to Options -> Video -> Advanced...  and there you can set them to High.

Done, now you should have increased your FPS with ~25 FPS, enjoy!

Make sure to leave a like or comment if this helped you. Any questions will be answered in the comment section!
Seems the link is wrong, could you correct it please?
(Mar 12, 2017, 10:53 PM)Nightmare Wrote: [ -> ]Seems the link is wrong, could you correct it please?

Guide fixed.
Looking through the config file, it tries to disable ragdolls. That's clearly an awful idea for the server. If you are using it, does it actually disable ragdolls?
(Mar 12, 2017, 11:27 PM)Overlewd Wrote: [ -> ]Looking through the config file, it tries to disable ragdolls. That's clearly an awful idea for the server. If you are using it, does it actually disable ragdolls?

No it does not actually disable ragdolls, all server features works perfectly fine.
Seems to be working fine..
  • 30-50 fps inside the city depending on where I am.
  • 80-100 fps in jails.
  • 60-90 fps outside the city.

PROS:
Huge fps increase.

CONS: (Can probably be fixed if you change the file a little bit)
No decals. (Sidewalks, AMPM logo, etc..)
No flashlight.
Seemed to crash me right away.
It just crashes me when i'm connecting to the server
(Mar 12, 2017, 11:27 PM)Overlewd Wrote: [ -> ]Looking through the config file, it tries to disable ragdolls. That's clearly an awful idea for the server. If you are using it, does it actually disable ragdolls?

Such major changes as ragdol disability or anything that could be anyhow game affecting nor even source engine default is automatically blocked by unaministrated users, if you have cvar's from the server be sure to remove the ragdoll option because it might disable them for whole server
(Mar 12, 2017, 11:45 PM)Nightmare Wrote: [ -> ]Seemed to crash me right away.

Open your CFG file, go to autoexec.cfg and add line

exec fpsboost.cfg

if no change happens open up your steam library > right click gmod > properties > startup options > add following

-exec autoexec.cfg

after doing such you dont need to exscute the console command ingame, the game will load with the script already dos making the game change not affecting its current settings.
If it crashes make sure that you are not connected to a server.
If it still does, make the game windowed-mode.
This made my client crash ingame when I ran this
i ran the command, didn't crash me at all, but everything is pixelated, rendering distance is drastically made shorter, and cars are *fword* up...

is this right?
[Image: EtNbYUm.jpg][Image: 6JTCUPM.jpg][Image: fQmHBW7.jpg][Image: Y2LURGe.jpg]
(Mar 9, 2018, 06:36 PM)T1b0 Wrote: [ -> ]-snip-

Make sure your model detail settings are set to high, I know if it's not it can cause vehicles to bug out
Apart from making the game look like Minecraft and I can see through everyone's eyes, there's a huge bonus to installing this into your game.

One slight problem - as Jompe said, the flashlight is disabled. Does anyone have any ideas on which command disables this? Could it be the disabling of shadows? I also thought it was the r_flashlightdepthtexture command.
Pages: 1 2