Limelight Forums

Full Version: [SD] Limelight's Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sour Discussions 
Limelight's Development

What are these "Sour Discussions" threads about?

So, As a lot of the older members of the community know, I have been having it rough not long in the back and I have been looking to keep positivism of not only myself but others as I have been trying to support others who I call friends or people I care for which are suffering from depression and more and I remember when I was doing things in schools, I got many mental bricks into my mind. I have decided to start writing threads like this so we can give luck or even discuss things to support each other as part of a community because without positivism or happiness in the world, life and seem a really dark and depressing place. I know this and I still see it like this for a long time so I thought we could have discussions with these "Sour Talks" and remember what it use to be like for people or what it is in that case for people who are like 42 years old...

*cough cough* SirWulf *cough cough*

Another reason, why I have decided to open these discussions is to allow for the community to discuss on a topic and make new friends with rather the new members or even just older newer members of the community. This is to bring up topics that players would be into or maybe even asking for opinions of what is going on and to see what other people think rather thinking on my own accord upon subjects.

Limelight's Development
Good Evening,
Recently, there has been a vast amounts of clearance and additions to the suggestions section of the CityRP V2 gamemode. Many old suggestions have been discussed over with players and have rather been approved or denied. The reason I am writing this thread is due to a vast number of reasons which I'll explain below.

During the launch of Limelight, there have been many improvements to systems, additional items and extra things to strive to do within the gamemode allowing for players with many hours more reason to stay rather than the reason to roleplay. With more recent times, Public Development in my own eyes has become less frequent than what it use to be however I do understand the reasoning and work behind it. The major development from retired developers such as , work from  (I know he helps if needed :P) and recently with the front-end work from which all of these developers released great products and improvements to Limelight's Gamemode. However, with this has now left the developer team to grow shorter and shorter by the day - leaving our team of developers of , ,  and a lot of the currently contributors we have in the team.

Recently - Limelight has hit a recent connection error glitch which has irritated many players however we all know that the development team are looking into the cause and trying to find out what has happened to the recent connection issue players are receiving. Myself and  have recently been looking thought out the Suggestions and Bugs section and noticing a large variety of different issues.

I'm going to ask two questions:
- What do you think the development team to focus on more?
1. Bugs
2. Suggestions

- What do you think about the current development we have been receiving?

My View:
On my personal view, I believe we have lots of content to conqueror over for now. I believe it would be great to now leave the suggestions for improvements of the server for now and try to fix the mountains of content issues that are around in the Bugs Section as there are pages and pages of content that requires to be fixed with information provided by the thread in there.

I would also like to suggest for the development team to give out weekly or monthly reports on things that are going to, have done or in progress so we are able to see the content and the development of the server allowing for the players (customers) to comment on the content that is coming out or being released to view any ideas or changes they may want as a community.

EDIT:
Let me start before I let you comment or carry on - I am not blaming anyone for anything. It is a simply the recent events that have happened. I like most members or staff members that have been commented in the thread above and do not want to blame any of them for anything and didn't want to make it sound like that if that is what they think.

ForceGhost

(Jan 18, 2017, 04:01 PM)Lieutenant Sours Wrote: [ -> ]Fix the mountains of content issues that are around in the Bugs Section as there are pages and pages of content that requires to be fixed with information provided by the thread in there.

I would also like to suggest for the development team to give out weekly or monthly reports on things that are going to, have done or in progress.

The two above points are the two that resonate with me. The server has been having serious issues with lag spikes the last couple of weeks with no official confirmation in the N&A section. Just a
Quote:"Hey! We're aware of the issue and are working to fix it"
would be great.

Monthly or weekly reports would be welcomed just so the community can see exactly how far things are coming and what we can be looking forward to.
I'd much rather have them solely working on development than worrying about a weekly/monthly post keeping us all up to date. Whilst yes, it would be nice, I'm happy to just take it as it comes.

The connection glitch is rather weird but patience and we'll get a fix for it in no time, I'm sure.

ForceGhost

(Jan 18, 2017, 04:38 PM)Nightmare Wrote: [ -> ]I'd much rather have them solely working on development than worrying about a weekly/monthly post keeping us all up to date. Whilst yes, it would be nice, I'm happy to just take it as it comes.

The connection glitch is rather weird but patience and we'll get a fix for it in no time, I'm sure.

As it's a known issue with the connection glitch, why not make an official post acknowledging it? It would take all of 2 seconds to do.
Honestly, with my own knowledge, these guys do post a hell of a lot of updates. Its just that your on the servers all the time and don't really notice it. When I last went on a couple of days ago I realised just how much the server had changed.

Updates were one of these things, as when I came on I was overwhelmed by the updates that had happened, there was just so much to do but I guess you guys have abused that in a way by using it all up and then get bored of it in the matter of small times.

However, aggressive RP has changed as well, for me, for the worst. I will put that in a new thread though.

ForceGhost

Also, the new approved threads don't seem to fit the content to me.

It's like "High Priority" has been mistaken for "Simplest to Implement"

How is adding a Handcuff MP3 a high priority?
I'd much rather have them spend time focusing on it. It's clear that if it's taking this long, they've either got something blocking their path and are working on a resolution or actively working on it. Either is a good sign.

Let them focus on it and they'll more than likely be able to get it pushed ahead faster. Add more things to their workload and that simply won't happen.

ForceGhost

(Jan 18, 2017, 05:42 PM)Nightmare Wrote: [ -> ] I'd much rather have them spend time focusing on it. It's clear that if it's taking this long, they've either got something blocking their path and are working on a resolution or actively working on it. Either is a good sign.

Let them focus on it and they'll more than likely be able to get it pushed ahead faster. Add more things to their workload and that simply won't happen.

From most players perspective:

1) Announcement of Burnett stepping down from Dev work.

2) Servers taking a shit every 30 seconds.

3) No word on cause or action taken to fix the issue.

Leaves players putting 2+2 together and getting 9.
Which goes to show the amount of stress the development team are already put under with their workload. Just because you see nothing in the changelogs or anything being pushed to the server doesn't mean nothing is happening behind the scenes.
(Jan 18, 2017, 06:00 PM)ForceGhost Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jan 18, 2017, 05:42 PM)Nightmare Wrote: [ -> ] I'd much rather have them spend time focusing on it. It's clear that if it's taking this long, they've either got something blocking their path and are working on a resolution or actively working on it. Either is a good sign.

I hope people are not implying that somehow I'm involved in causing these issues.
If so, I simply don't care and they can go and bitch around.
I am responsible for Limelight's company assets such as the back-end services.
I have an offical position here at Limelight, namely 'Developer & Networking Security Officer'. Do I get paid for working in that position? No. Do I demand payment? No. Do I get paid for dev-payouts? Yes, if I choose to.
I signed a non-disclosure agreement when I joined. I have access to every single company asset, except for the business part. If I were to manipulate things, Limelight wouldn't even exist. In addition, company officials would easily report me to authorities because of crime. Limelight is a company hence there is no place for script-kiddies that want to destroy it from inside. Ever wondered why it takes so long to discuss/review developer promotions? That is the reason. The days of 'Once I'm a Dev I'll steal the assets' are gone. 
I must say I am tired of some statements that I've heard recently. Rather than causing rumors, people should focus on getting the devs to fix the issues. Now what I can tell is that they're already on it. Atleast two developers are working on some fixes behind the scenes.
Within the last 13 months, development has never been that frequent as it was before. In 2016 we pushed more than 1030 gamemode-changes (hidden + public). The changelogger proves this. Yet not to mention all the back-end work that was carried out.
From my perspective it is pretty clear that things slow down a bit.
I think that focus should go towards bugs more, as suggestions bring in more bugs and if you think of it this way: More suggestions, more bugs. And more bugs means that they'll have to be fixed anyways so why not fix them first before making new ones?

ForceGhost

(Jan 18, 2017, 08:01 PM)Burnett Wrote: [ -> ]I hope people are not implying that somehow I'm involved in causing these issues.

Oh no, more that the delay in fixing them is because of your resignation.

Several times today people have asked what's happening with the lag spikes only to receive no official response.
Communication is a critical issue - I agree. There should be more communication when it comes to deving and such.
(Jan 18, 2017, 08:01 PM)Burnett Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jan 18, 2017, 06:00 PM)ForceGhost Wrote: [ -> ]

I hope people are not implying that somehow I'm involved in causing these issues.
If so, I simply don't care and they can go and bitch around.
I am responsible for Limelight's company assets such as the back-end services.
I have an offical position here at Limelight, namely 'Developer & Networking Security Officer'. Do I get paid for working in that position? No. Do I demand payment? No. Do I get paid for dev-payouts? Yes, if I choose to.
I signed a non-disclosure agreement when I joined. I have access to every single company asset, except for the business part. If I were to manipulate things, Limelight wouldn't even exist. In addition, company officials would easily report me to authorities because of crime. Limelight is a company hence there is no place for script-kiddies that want to destroy it from inside. Ever wondered why it takes so long to discuss/review developer promotions? That is the reason. The days of 'Once I'm a Dev I'll steal the assets' are gone. 
I must say I am tired of some statements that I've heard recently. Rather than causing rumors, people should focus on getting the devs to fix the issues. Now what I can tell is that they're already on it. Atleast two developers are working on some fixes behind the scenes.
Within the last 13 months, development has never been that frequent as it was before. In 2016 we pushed more than 1030 gamemode-changes (hidden + public). The changelogger proves this. Yet not to mention all the back-end work that was carried out.
From my perspective it is pretty clear that things slow down a bit.
Here's a TLDL v 
Now now Sours, I am not almost 200,000 years old. I'm just shy of 2,000. Still a young one.

After the release of the New Years updates the plans were to step back a bit and take a look at what we have and what we can do.  Soyes, things will slow but ultimately it'll be for the better. Hopefully we can squash those major bugs and keep things moving forward until my 200,000th birthday.
Pages: 1 2