Limelight Forums

Full Version: Video: Police Attacked Peaceful Protesters At The Dakota Access Pipeline
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
https://theintercept.com/2016/10/25/vide...-pipeline/

Quote:The march was undertaken in solidarity with several protesters who had chained themselves to bulldozers and pipeline machinery at the construction site. But the marchers never made it to their destination. Instead, they were attacked by police forces who used pepper spray and beat protesters with batons. Dozens of officers, backed by military trucks, police vans, machine guns, and nonlethal weapons, violently approached the group without warning.

“Don’t move, everyone is under arrest,” said a voice from the loudspeaker of the military vehicle.

As the protesters attempted to leave, the police began beating and detaining them. Several Native American women leading the march were targeted, dragged out of the crowd, and arrested. One man was body-slammed to the ground, while another woman broke her ankle running from the police. The military and police trucks followed the protesters as nearly a hundred officers corralled the protesters into a circle. Among the arrested were journalists, a 17-year-old pregnant girl, and a 78-year-old woman.

America, the "land of the free" where peaceful protests are met with riot police and military vehicles.
"Viciously attack the protesters." No where in that video did I see these so called vicious attacks, what I saw was 50+ people trespassing on private property and unlawfully assembling.  Nor did I see these "machines guns" that this article talks about. What do you expect was going to happen if a 50+ people trespass on private property and refuse to leave? Also, if you happened to do research and not get your source from an obviously biased site, you can read more about it here.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mor...ed-n671281

This states that a protester disarmed an officer of his pepper spray and used it against him. So much for your peaceful protest huh? Along with the fact that they continued to refuse to leave, even after being told multiple times to. You can't just expect to break the law and get away with it.
Yeeeaaaa im not seeing any "Vicious" attacks by police either.

This isnt a group of police charging in and beating everyone without mercy or shots being fired, this is police moveing people out of an area with as little violence as possible.

Sure the police are heavily equiped, but whats your point? The american population is so heavily armed it would be insane for a police force to go out without protection, out of those 50 people, how many have firearms? No one knows, thus bring in protection so that no one potentialy gets killed.
'peaceful' assembly doesn't warrant walking in roadways as the video showed.

No vicious attacks were displayed.

The police has the equipment available, why can't they use it? Should they sit in the parking lot?

Why can't they be armed? They're the police, law enforcement. You don't enforce the law in America without guns considering the population is smaller than the guns in the nations households.

Was pushing them back out of hand? I agree it was perhaps a bit beyond what was necessary.
Are you over exaggerating this entire situation? Yes.
I did see a different video of the same pipeline with these peaceful protesters trespassing and attacking both workers and site security with improvised weapons.
I'd hardly call being pushed back "vicious'. They were trespassing after all.
First, I agree that vicious isn't the word I would use.

(Oct 27, 2016, 04:26 AM)Venom Wrote: [ -> ]This states that a protester disarmed an officer of his pepper spray and used it against him. So much for your peaceful protest huh? Along with the fact that they continued to refuse to leave, even after being told multiple times to. You can't just expect to break the law and get away with it.

The only evidence for this is the statement released by the sheriff's department.

BlackDog Wrote:Sure the police are heavily equiped, but whats your point? The american population is so heavily armed it would be insane for a police force to go out without protection, out of those 50 people, how many have firearms? No one knows, thus bring in protection so that no one potentialy gets killed.

I don't think the protesters were acting in a manner that warrants a riot police response. Is an assembly of a large amount of upset people really all it takes to warrant riot police and military vehicles? There's no emergency or imminent threat to public safety.

For those who are claiming that the protesters are trespassing on private property, the Standing Rock Sioux tribe has claimed that they own the land under the 1851 Treaty of Fort Laramie, which supersedes any state or federal government authority. Seeing as the US and state governments have a long history of violating treaties with Native American nations and generally fucking them over, it wouldn't surprise me that this is another one of those cases. Also somewhat related, the company building the pipeline is using eminent domain to seize a lot of the land that they want for the pipeline, including in my home state of Iowa which the pipeline runs through.

jarz Wrote:'peaceful' assembly doesn't warrant walking in roadways as the video showed.

I don't see how it isn't peaceful assembly. Walking on the road isn't considered 'violent' protest.

jarz Wrote:The police has the equipment available, why can't they use it? Should they sit in the parking lot? 

The justification for acquiring these kinds of military vehicles in the first place is that they're needed for situations like active shooter or hostage situations. Once they're in the possession of departments, it's ok that the argument shifts to 'why not'? 

Toxic Wrote:I did see a different video of the same pipeline with these peaceful protesters trespassing and attacking both workers and site security with improvised weapons.

I think I might know the video you're talking about. In said video the workers started bulldozing the land which is claimed to be a sacred Native American burial site. Once the protesters crossed the fence and marched on, site security sicced dogs on them. In response some protesters fashioned makeshift weapons to defend themselves from being attacked by said dogs.

Here is the video in question, the part I mentioned starts at about 1:52:

One thing that should be noted is that, following the release of this video, the state of North Dakota tried to charge the journalist in the video, Amy Goodman, with participating in a riot because her reporting "was from the position of justifying the protest actions". The charge was later thrown out by a judge. Now the FAA has restricted aircraft from the airspace near the construction site for unspecified reasons, which would prevent news helicopters from viewing the area from above. It seems that authorities are trying to restrict media access to clamp down on the flow of information and deflect attention, which is troubling.
Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time.

(Oct 28, 2016, 01:40 AM)Kung Fury Wrote: [ -> ]Is an assembly of a large amount of upset people really all it takes to warrant riot police and armored* vehicles?

(Oct 28, 2016, 01:40 AM)Kung Fury Wrote: [ -> ]a large amount

(Oct 28, 2016, 01:40 AM)Kung Fury Wrote: [ -> ]of upset people

(Oct 28, 2016, 01:40 AM)Kung Fury Wrote: [ -> ]a large amount of upset people

Yes.
Here's a news release from the Sheriff Department that they put out today,

https://www.co.morton.nd.us/vertical/Sit...operty.pdf

It states that the protesters have set up roadblocks, set up camp on private property, and took over buildings on private property. Now that doesn't sound that peaceful to me now does it?
(Oct 28, 2016, 04:39 AM)Venom Wrote: [ -> ]It states that the protesters have set up roadblocks, set up camp on private property, and took over buildings on private property. Now that doesn't sound that peaceful to me now does it?

I don't think he understands what a peaceful protest is.
Yea...that "peaceful" protest in both videos is breaking into private property, resisting security and police, and are using makeshift weapons to defend themselves while they already commit an unlawful act. The justification for the police presence and equipment at that point would be necessary if a crowd, that may or already have turned into a riot, of that size decided to march onto private property with known weapons.

The MRAP's and or Bearcats are at their disposal for mobile protection fo officers. An opposing force of their size requires non-lethal and, if necessary, lethal weapons. Its not a matter of not", but if it makes the officers less prone to...you know, death. Because, suprise, suprise, officers have families and are usually a targeted group on a day-to-day basis. With this armed country we live in, it's necessary for these dangerous situations.

both have done the same mistake, that is taking only a side of the story. i would like to see news from an IMPARTIAL website, like BBC news.
yes the security methods were quite extreme and over the top, but try putting 10 security with dogs against 100 protesters, it is understandable that the security go brutal.
if i was the security director, i'd send a lot more security and not those dogs.
(Oct 28, 2016, 08:45 AM)GRiiM Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct 28, 2016, 04:39 AM)Venom Wrote: [ -> ]It states that the protesters have set up roadblocks, set up camp on private property, and took over buildings on private property. Now that doesn't sound that peaceful to me now does it?

I don't think he understands what a peaceful protest is.

To him, there are only peaceful and violent protests. He proved that ignorant standpoint a few replies up.

I guess there are no such thing as illegal yet non-violent protests in his world.
(Oct 28, 2016, 02:00 AM)Wesley Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time.

(Oct 28, 2016, 01:40 AM)Kung Fury Wrote: [ -> ]Is an assembly of a large amount of upset people really all it takes to warrant riot police and armored* vehicles?

(Oct 28, 2016, 01:40 AM)Kung Fury Wrote: [ -> ]a large amount

(Oct 28, 2016, 01:40 AM)Kung Fury Wrote: [ -> ]of upset people

(Oct 28, 2016, 01:40 AM)Kung Fury Wrote: [ -> ]a large amount of upset people

Yes.

Interesting. When a group guys who were actually armed to the teeth occupied a federal office in Oregon nearly a year ago, the FBI were able to eventually resolve the situation without any major violent confrontation. They FBI didn't respond with overwhelming force, and the standoff was resolved relatively peacefully. Funny how that works.

Why do people keep saying it's private property? As I mentioned earlier, the pipeline is being constructed on sacred burial grounds, which is the property of the Standing Rock Sioux according to the treaty of Ft. Laramie. The Native American tribes are considered sovereign nations, therefore neither the states nor the federal government have the right to seize that land. The Native Americans have been getting fucked over for years, and when some of the little land they have left is stolen from them, somehow people have the gall to call it private property and say the natives have no right to be there.

You might have also heard about shots being fired by protesters. A man dressed as a protester did do so, but after being apprehended by tribal law enforcement, the insurance papers for the vehicle he was driving showed that it was owned by the pipeline company. This guy was obviously a plant by the pipeline company to provoke a violent response. This shows the lengths that the company will go to to protect their oil money.

Another thing people aren't considering is what's at stake for these people. If the pipeline leaks, it will contaminate the reservation's water supply. Hopefully the situation in Flint, Michigan and their contaminated water is still present in everyone's minds, and we saw the damage that was done to the people there. So this is a real public safety issue for the tribe, and people want them to just pack up and go home? If a company wanted to poison my community's drinking water so they could turn a profit, I would be very rightfully pissed and I wouldn't just sit around and let it happen.
Hey guys new tutorial on how to start arguments on the forums: Simply complain to Americans about American police.

ty Smile
Pages: 1 2 3