Limelight Forums

Full Version: Does the arrest baton disturb serious Police RP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just had a thought while looking at a suggestion and decided to make a discussion post about it because I can... Does the arrest baton really favour serious Police RP? Instantly you'd think 'well this is a semi-serious server so no', but some decent role-players enjoy actually taking people to the prison instead of whacking them with a stick and making them magically disappear, where they will be teleported to a designed jail cell automatically by the hands of an external power. Maybe that was a little over exaggerated but it's true - arresting people with no sort of role-play is kind of giving people an ease of control over how some 'criminals' spend the next 2, 5, 10 or 15 minutes of their life.

I would imagine an officer would much rather whack someone with a stick and get the arrest over with as opposed to taking them all the way back to the prisons, but wouldn't that reduce the number of careless arrests? By arresting someone, you're not just arresting them, but you're making the next 10 or 15 minutes of their life (in most cases) pretty boring. Having the officer take a convict to the prison themselves would make the officer ask 'is it really worth it?', reducing the number of ridiculous arrests with stupid reasons like 'He walked a meter away from the sidewalk, arrest for 15 minutes for jaywalking" (a bit of an over-exaggeration but you get the point). 

This issue has been addressed many times before but putting a weapon in the hands of a player when they spawn gives them an immediate sense of power over the citizens of the city. For this reason, arresting a citizen truly becomes a shrug-of-the-shoulders situation that is given no thought.

If the arrest baton is removed, an officer would be forced to think 'is it worth going all the way to the jails to put this guy away just for walking a meter away from the sidewalk? Nah, I'll let him go on a warning', thus making Police RP more realistic, and more interesting for both the convict and the officer. This could simply be enforced by only allowing the officer to arrest a citizen when they're actually in the prison room.
Someone not listening to Fearp? Use it.

Someone is cooperating? Don't use the baton until you get to the jails.

Boom.
I mean if you want to RP it just act like the baton isnt a thing and drive them to the jails rp it out and when hes in the cell then u can whack him with it
I mean I guess it makes sense as a back-up but if someone isn't listening to Fear RP then you should just call for an admin. Having the baton there just makes it too tempting and like I said in the post, if you really have a 'can't be bothered taking this person to jail' attitude then you'll just arrest them anyway, removing any possibility of 'is it really worth it' or 'should I just let him off with a warning, the jails are so far away'. There's always that point of 'use it if you want to use it' but it's still a temptation for those who are too lazy to RP it out and take the person to the jails like you would IRL.

Pat

(Oct 17, 2016, 10:03 AM)Saiye Wrote: [ -> ]I mean I guess it makes sense as a back-up but if someone isn't listening to Fear RP then you should just call for an admin. Having the baton there just makes it too tempting and like I said in the post, if you really have a 'can't be bothered taking this person to jail' attitude then you'll just arrest them anyway, removing any possibility of 'is it really worth it' or 'should I just let him off with a warning, the jails are so far away'. There's always that point of 'use it if you want to use it' but it's still a temptation for those who are too lazy to RP it out and take the person to the jails like you would IRL.
But if there wasn't an admin on at the time. You could make a PR but still... It would take Quite a while for the PR to be Responded to.
(Oct 17, 2016, 10:03 AM)Saiye Wrote: [ -> ]I mean I guess it makes sense as a back-up but if someone isn't listening to Fear RP then you should just call for an admin. Having the baton there just makes it too tempting and like I said in the post, if you really have a 'can't be bothered taking this person to jail' attitude then you'll just arrest them anyway, removing any possibility of 'is it really worth it' or 'should I just let him off with a warning, the jails are so far away'. There's always that point of 'use it if you want to use it' but it's still a temptation for those who are too lazy to RP it out and take the person to the jails like you would IRL.

No admin on? Make a PR.

Too tempting? If you really want to RP as serious as you say, it won't bother you.

Bam.
(Oct 17, 2016, 07:33 PM)Soviethooves Wrote: [ -> ]

No admin on? Make a PR.

Too tempting? If you really want to RP as serious as you say, it won't bother you.

Bam.

Agreed but when you're the one being arrested, you don't have control over whether or not the officer arrests you with the baton or with RP.
(Oct 17, 2016, 07:36 PM)Saiye Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct 17, 2016, 07:33 PM)Soviethooves Wrote: [ -> ]

No admin on? Make a PR.

Bam.

Agreed but when you're the one being arrested, you don't have control over whether or not the officer arrests you with the baton or with RP.
Let's be honest, getting jail time isn't a punishment right now. Sitting in a room for a max of 15 minutes? Sounds like snack time to me.
i think we should be able to drag people around and put them in the back of the police cars. it would improve RP removing it.
gang member got arrested? ambush the compound
person breaking fear rp? drag him into the car and drag him our after.