Limelight Forums

Full Version: 9/11 Remembrance Thread - 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: UyFVGRA.png]
United We Stand

This thread has been created for people to discuss the events relating to the attacks on September 11th. Please feel free to post any memories, observations, news, discussions or images/videos that you have in this thread.
I saw a video couple days ago a homemade video from an apartment just a couple blocks from the WTC, filming the burning first building and then as the second plane hits. It was pretty striking because not every person had a device to record on back then.

The terror in their voices was so palpable it's insane, the moment they realise that it's not an accident but an attack is just chilling.

(Gonna try and find it)

Edit: I think it's this one. Even watching it now my heartrate's increased, fuck.

Memories.... Not many. Born 3months 10days before it happened lmfao
Though remembrance and respect to those who lost their lives is undoubtedly something we should
put our minds toward each year, I can't help but hate the way it's used as a media pedestal nowadays.
We need to remember that events like these have geopolitical effects and the constant reminder that
we live in a world often held hostage by terrorist organizations only adds to the effort of staying strong.

I'm not saying we shouldn't remember and honor the victims of the 9/11 atrocities, but I'm a grump when
it comes to all the twitter, facebook and most social media posts that exploit it simply to gain a following.
Please take 5 minutes out of your day to listen to this.

Rest in peppers, I feel like the only person who is celebrating today :(
Man I was young when this happened but I sure remember, RIP.

You're not forgotten.
RIP. Gone, but never forgotten.
I was in third grade. I was very excited, it was my "Half Birthday". That usually meant my Mom made a small cake for after dinner, which was an exciting treat! On the bus ride home, I was seeing these huge lines at every gas station we went past; cars were spilling out into the street lining up for gas. I thought that was weird. Bus pulls up at my house, I hop out, run up to the door. My Mom opens the door when I'm about 15 feet away. That was also weird. Then I saw the look on her face. I've never seen her that sad, even now. She couldn't find the words to explain, she just pointed at the TV.

My school had made the decision to not tell the students, they left that up to the families. My Sister, in High School at the time, was told, but us children in Elementary School were not.

That night we ate a quiet dinner out at our favorite BBQ place, right next to the Air National Guard base. The base was on full lockdown, State Police were there guarding the north end of the runway, which ran along a somewhat major road. My Dad was in charge of computer systems at one of the Federal Home Loan Banks, and wanted to make sure he could still get access to his backup site on the base. We were stopped and questioned, but we got through no problem.

I was old enough to understand what happened, and learned a new word that day: "Terrorist". I was also too young to fully grasp why it happened though. I knew what happened, and what their goal was, but I couldn't grasp "why". Looking back, I'm not sure a lot of people did at that time. I was also young enough to be very afraid. I was too scared to go to sleep because I was worried terrorists would crash a plane into my bedroom. It took my parents explaining that we're not a noticeable enough target, being a middle class family of 4 in the midwest, for the terrorists to care about us to assuage my fears.

Looking back, I'm not sure if this is just the events distorting my memory, or the memory of the events weighing on everyone, or a combination of the 2, but everything just seemed so much quieter for a while after that. I think a lot of people matured a bit more than normal that day, we learned how terrifying and cruel the world could be. And it is definitely not something I will ever forget.
Remember this very well isnt my country or my nation I just feel sorry for those innocents who lost their life because of terrorista and a goverment that created it
Saw this on Facebook, from a Sikh.
9/11 was horrific, but sometimes the world forgets just how big and widespread impact was. Security changed, architecture changed, people changed. An attitude of paranoia and prejudice sprouted from the terror.

Quote:my good friend Raj flew into Toronto from New York today on September 11, 2016. He's literally one of the most chilled out and laid back dudes I know and I've never seen him more distraught and disheveled after he landed in Toronto. 9/11 was not only an extremely sad and devastating day for Americans but it also led to the shittiest few years of my life and other brown folk. I vividly remember the racism switching from "light hearted" Apu jokes to instantly being tossed aside and being labelled a terrorist. the only thing I could remember being an 11-12 year old was the feeling of how unfair it was when I was equally as confused as everyone else. that shit impacted me and many others in so many ways with anger/fear/paranoia/depression that still have repercussions today. I grew up in a quiet little white town in Canada and STILL got hit with bullshit every day. I can only imagine how some lived in fear in USA. I remember being too scared to walk in public with my dad who had a full beard and turban because I didn't want to feel and hear the slurs. I remember standing outside barber shops, frozen, tears in my eyes, knowing if I went inside and got rid of my hair my life could be a little better. I remember looking in the mirror every morning, tying my turban and hating everything about the person looking back at me. there's a whole other side to this story. an entire narrative that is rarely heard. an entire narrative that were still, to this day, too scared to talk about in fear of being labelled as a "anti american" or "anti-freedom". this is his story.

"flying from NYC as a sardar on 9/11 today was one of the shittiest experiences I've ever had. I shouldn't have to feel self conscious or different from anyone else, but everyone's eyes were glued on me this entire flight and it freaked me out, badly. I wanted to curl up and disappear. And while people are clutching their seats looking me at me with these tense stares, they have no idea that inside my head I'm being tormented by having to feel so self conscious about my every move. I even started to cry in my own hands on my lap but was too scared to lift my head up out of fear of what people might interpret. That's how self conscious I felt. It was so painful and sad. Even more so because I have soo much love to give... not hate. 

At least Frank Ocean was there to help get me through that."
Anyone who knows me might know I'm half Indian, and that side is mostly Sikh. Those who wear the turban have shared similar experiences. 
I don't even get why it became an object associated with terror, not really. None of the hijackers wore them, only Bin Laden; even then there's a difference in style, like seeing a bowler hat or a fedora.

"As far as I'm concerned, all of this airport security--the cameras, the questions, the screenings, the searches--is just one more way of reducing your liberty and reminding you that they can fuck with you anytime they want. Because that's the way Americans are now. They're willing to trade away a little of their freedom in exchange for the feeling---the illusion---of security."
[Image: 23554_1401954683397_6764492_n.jpg][Image: 23554_1401954683397_6764492_n.jpg][Image: xuJZepW.jpg]
(Sep 12, 2016, 07:16 PM)Humla Wrote: [ -> ][Image: 23554_1401954683397_6764492_n.jpg][Image: 23554_1401954683397_6764492_n.jpg][Image: xuJZepW.jpg]

Preach.
I was getting ready for work. Yes, I am the 'old man' here, hehe. But, I flipped on the TV to get the weather report when I see a fire on TV. ok, a building is on fire. Fine. Flipped the channel, same exact footage, flip, same, flip... What?

When it dawned on me what happened, and what was to come. I was in shock. Four planes were hijacked, two for the Towers and two for the Pentagon. One plane never made it, as the passenger overtook the hijackers and the plane went down in Pennsylvania.

That day, at work... I was drawing up structural planes of the building to figure out how well it was designed to have fallen straight down instead of over. How much of an impact it was, etc. I put my mind to work puzzle solving. Then, my boss handed me his car keys.

"Could you please go and put fuel in my car?" There was a concern that this was the start of a war. Where are the next targets? Gas prices more than tripled in a matter of hours as everyone was rushing to fuel up. I spent two hours getting to the nearest gas station to fill up his car.

Afterwards, I spoke to neighbors I didn't even know I had about the events. Had a deeper respect for the police, fire and medics that work hard for us. And... just saw things differently. This was our generations' JFK, Pearl Harbor, etc.