Limelight Forums

Full Version: Camera screens cause massive FPS drops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Server [US/EU]: All
Map: All
Description: Looking at or in the general direction of surveillance monitors causes severe FPS decreases.This is not so much a bug as an optimization issue but the drops are so severe that it makes me very reluctant to ever use them (especially if you use 5+ at once). Using these monitors in public areas in RPs such as news RPs will cause frame drops to all passers-by.
Bug is [In-Game/On Forums/Other]: In-game
Since when have you experienced the bug? Since surveillance cameras + monitors were implemented
Additional Information: N/A
Images/Screenshots (same dupe, with and without monitors): https://imgur.com/a/cTden 
Thank you for your bug-report, Overlewd!

It will be reviewed as soon as possible by our Developers.
Its normal , since the screens are rendering a image
True, It makes my FPS Drop, and my Game Crash :/
My picture dosent work :/
I obviously expect the fps to be impacted due to the rendering but not to the point where it goes 4 times smaller than what it is without the screens.
I'm no coder but I find it strange how these things cuts my fps in half but RT screens does nothing.
(Sep 12, 2016, 04:04 PM)Zeyon Wrote: [ -> ]I'm no coder but I find it strange how these things cuts my fps in half but RT screens does nothing.

Good point, RT Cameras don't render in certain objects such as cars and players when it is a certain distance away from the player. I'm not sure if this happens with the CCTV or not.
(Sep 13, 2016, 01:14 PM)♈ Coupcake ♈ Wrote: [ -> ]
(Sep 12, 2016, 04:04 PM)Zeyon Wrote: [ -> ]I'm no coder but I find it strange how these things cuts my fps in half but RT screens does nothing.

Good point, RT Cameras don't render in certain objects such as cars and players when it is a certain distance away from the player. I'm not sure if this happens with the CCTV or not.
I don't think it does, but the RT cameras don't cause an FPS drop even if they show something happening close by and rendering everything.

I don't know the difference between the new cameras and RT cameras on the backend, but I'd wager that it is likely because RT cameras were optimized by Valve as they were used in HL2 (all the Breen screens and other screens) and there is native support for them in the engine.
These cameras use a different system that actually requires you to render as if you were there (I believe - that is just conjecture) which is known to cause lag, that's also the reason many games put a black area around a scope when you aim in. In real life you can see around your scope, but the performance hit from rendering the lower FOV view and the higher FOV view is not worth adding in most cases.
The issue I'm seeing is someone could put some of these screens in the nexus lobby for some sort of security RP and it will obliterate the FPS of everyone in the city, and it's low enough as is.
(Oct 8, 2016, 12:05 PM)Overlewd Wrote: [ -> ]The issue I'm seeing is someone could put some of these screens in the nexus lobby for some sort of security RP and it will obliterate the FPS of everyone in the city, and it's low enough as is.

The first solution I can think of is only having the monitors function if you're close enough to them
Bumpy
Fixed.