Limelight Forums

Full Version: Masks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now before I start, yes people wear masks in real life for stupid reasons (Youtube Fame, Protests, etc.) however there is a fine line between real life and video games. In real life you may wear masks without penalty (depends on area), have watermelon fights with your friends, and have unrealistic car colors, but they are outlawed on the server. Why? Basic Roleplay Rules, 2.5, FailRP. Now this rule is stated as, "Do not do unrealistic things out of context.", so why isn't wearing a mask in the open, with no reason other to hide your in-game ID restricted? Now, I can understand someone using the Gas Mask Suit to say he's allergic to air because that's a reason that has Background RP Characteristics, but your average player, just running around with one of the masked suits (Bank Robber looking ones) because he didn't want himself to be ID'ed immediately by a Powergamer? Seems a little like he's just trying to find an excuse to where it in the open to feel like he's special or cool. So, discuss. Should we do something about this? Does it seem odd to you? Is it normal for someone to do this on the servers, or is it out of the ordinary and should be dealt with?
(Aug 7, 2016, 05:59 AM)Soviethooves Wrote: [ -> ]Now before I start, yes people wear masks in real life for stupid reasons (Youtube Fame, Protests, etc.) however there is a fine line between real life and video games. In real life you may wear masks without penalty (depends on area), have watermelon fights with your friends, and have unrealistic car colors, but they are outlawed on the server. Why? Basic Roleplay Rules, 2.5, FailRP. Now this rule is stated as, "Do not do unrealistic things out of context.", so why isn't wearing a mask in the open, with no reason other to hide your in-game ID restricted?

Now, I can understand someone using the Gas Mask Suit to say he's allergic to air because that's a reason that has Background RP Characteristics, but your average player, just running around with one of the masked suits (Bank Robber looking ones) because he didn't want himself to be ID'ed immediately by a Powergamer? Seems a little like he's just trying to find an excuse to where it in the open to feel like he's special or cool. So, discuss. Should we do something about this? Does it seem odd to you? Is it normal for someone to do this on the servers, or is it out of the ordinary and should be dealt with?

Ive always felt it is an IC action that can be handled ICly.

If bob decides to go out of his house in a mask and look like that, thats his choice, if a store dosnt like it they can ask him to leave, if the government dosnt like it they can make a law against it.

To me it has so many IC methods of handleing it and the wearing of it hurts no one, that it is a non issue.

If someone wants to wear a cocktail dress and high heels while they commit a crime, that their decision while in character, a decision that while it seems odd to others, does not hurt them.
We've already covered this in a TS rant so I'll recuse myself.
(Aug 7, 2016, 07:03 AM)BlackDog Wrote: [ -> ]
(Aug 7, 2016, 05:59 AM)Soviethooves Wrote: [ -> ]Now before I start, yes people wear masks in real life for stupid reasons (Youtube Fame, Protests, etc.) however there is a fine line between real life and video games. In real life you may wear masks without penalty (depends on area), have watermelon fights with your friends, and have unrealistic car colors, but they are outlawed on the server. Why? Basic Roleplay Rules, 2.5, FailRP. Now this rule is stated as, "Do not do unrealistic things out of context.", so why isn't wearing a mask in the open, with no reason other to hide your in-game ID restricted?

Now, I can understand someone using the Gas Mask Suit to say he's allergic to air because that's a reason that has Background RP Characteristics, but your average player, just running around with one of the masked suits (Bank Robber looking ones) because he didn't want himself to be ID'ed immediately by a Powergamer? Seems a little like he's just trying to find an excuse to where it in the open to feel like he's special or cool. So, discuss. Should we do something about this? Does it seem odd to you? Is it normal for someone to do this on the servers, or is it out of the ordinary and should be dealt with?

Ive always felt it is an IC action that can be handled ICly.

If bob decides to go out of his house in a mask and look like that, thats his choice, if a store dosnt like it they can ask him to leave, if the government dosnt like it they can make a law against it.

To me it has so many IC methods of handleing it and the wearing of it hurts no one, that it is a non issue.

If someone wants to wear a cocktail dress and high heels while they commit a crime, that their decision while in character, a decision that while it seems odd to others, does not hurt them.

BlackDog pretty much sums it all up.
Yeah, it should be handled IC
If I see someone casually walking around wearing a robbers mask, kevlar vest and duffle bag then I'll talk to him and explain why it might not fit or be realistic for the people.

I feel we as staff should inform and educate when someone are doing something that might be considered FailRP.

Everything depends on the situation and context, but wearing a mask in a situation where it really doesn't fit then I might view that as FailRP. It depends a lot on the situation though.

If someone roleplays as an animal.. Let's say a duck, then that doesn't really affect anyone but himself , but that would still be FailRP. If a citizen decides to randomly walk around wearing full battlegear, kevlar vest, gasmask and everything then something is not right. I think it's better that a staffmember talks to him instead of saying "nah, IC is dealt with IC". I think there's a fine line between where we should step in and not and we should educate when we can.
It's common for people to be murdered in real life, but that doesn't mean we should allow it and I think you could apply the same principle to wearing masks freely and without reason. If we allowed players to do what they wanted, we would have mass shootings on the main street, people being run-over because the driver wanted to run someone over and many similar circumstances.

I personally dislike comparing CityRP 2 to real life as it can often confuse people as to what is and what isn't acceptable but I'll do it anyway for argument sake. In real life, people don't conceal their identity with full-face covering or wear combat clothing without a good reason for doing so. For that reasoning, I agree with "" in saying that it is FailRP to wear a mask without a sufficient reason.
I think staff members should inform those wearing a mask in public that it may result in them being arrested but we should not take any OOC actions against them. Other than that, it should be up to the government and shop owners whether to allow those wearing masks in to their city or premises'.
(Aug 8, 2016, 11:42 AM)George Wrote: [ -> ]I think staff members should inform those wearing a mask in public that it may result in them being arrested but we should not take any OOC actions against them. Other than that, it should be up to the government and shop owners whether to allow those wearing masks in to their city or premises'.

So, then why not allow watermelon fights on the street? People do that in real life, yet we don't allow
it. I can understand that the whole "Let IC be IC" can be used, but we should be restricting this to give the players a path on how to RP in a city properly. Hell, if we won't restrict this, what's stopping the Corleone Family from hiring Anarchists to work with them? In character is in character after all.
(Aug 8, 2016, 10:24 PM)Soviethooves Wrote: [ -> ]
(Aug 8, 2016, 11:42 AM)George Wrote: [ -> ]I think staff members should inform those wearing a mask in public that it may result in them being arrested but we should not take any OOC actions against them. Other than that, it should be up to the government and shop owners whether to allow those wearing masks in to their city or premises'.

So, then why not allow watermelon fights on the street? People do that in real life, yet we don't allow
it. I can understand that the whole "Let IC be IC" can be used, but we should be restricting this to give the players a path on how to RP in a city properly. Hell, if we won't restrict this, what's stopping the Corleone Family from hiring Anarchists to work with them? In character is in character after all.

I feel a watermelon fight cant be compared to this, since spawning items repeatedly to throw at eachother is in a different catagory to that of using an item you bought from your inventory to look the way you want to look.
(Aug 8, 2016, 11:59 PM)BlackDog Wrote: [ -> ]
(Aug 8, 2016, 10:24 PM)Soviethooves Wrote: [ -> ]

I feel a watermelon fight cant be compared to this, since spawning items repeatedly to throw at eachother is in a different catagory to that of using an item you bought from your inventory to look the way you want to look.

So, because the item has to be bought, means it's unrelated to the example? Don't understand how that means we can't regulate it's use like we already do with some items, but alright. Then mind explaining why the two factions can't assist eachother? They are both huge crime factions with different sets of skills to possibly give them a more effective control over the populace. Why do we limit this entire roleplay, which I can bet you 100% that in real life a high-level crime family has hired a low level group to act as cannon fodder, but we allow players to walk around in bank robber gear with no RP reason?
Because it's been a rule since before 2011?
I'm a bit late in the game here but I feel it is a bit of FailRP to wear a mask for casual situations. Walking around the street, getting your hair cut, shopping for food, you just don't see a masked man doing that in the real world.

And that includes the government. I've seen police and swat use those just because they can. Then they patrol the streets and arrest people for running from an officer or officer disrespect yet never announce that they are the police or show ID. This is certainly an issue to me.