Limelight Forums

Full Version: How to Play Texas Hold'em Poker - Hands, Rules and Instructions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 0VGJH9a.png]
How to Play Texas Hold'em Poker - Hands, Rules and Instructions

Fun fact: "Flop comes from the sound the three cards in succession make when they hit a felt Poker table. The turn got its name because it can and will turn the tide of the hand. The river got its name because the last card can sell you down the river"

Table of Contents:
Getting Started
The Beginning of the Game
The Middle of the Game
The End of the Game
Poker Hands
Ties and Kickers
Poker Etiquette

Getting Started:
First let me start by letting you know how to join a game. It is only possible to join a table at the start of a new round, you press the E key on the seat and select your buy-in amount using the slider. Once you enter the table a box should appear on the table in front of you saying "Ready", select this option by pressing the E key while looking at it (note how a red bar appears on top of the button when you hover over it). Throughout the game options will be displayed such as "Call", "Raise", "Check", and "Fold"; these terms will be explained in greater detail later in this guide. Also, to view the cards in the centre of the table press the spacebar.

The Beginning of the Game:
When playing the game, each player is dealt with two cards which are placed faced down in front of you (note that only you can see your cards). These cards are known as your hole cards. After you are dealt your cards there is a round of betting where you can CheckBet or Fold. This stage of the game is referred to as the pre-flop; your actions in this stage will depend on the strength of your hole cards or what's knows as your starting hand.

Checking is when it is your turn, and there is  no action in front of you so you choose not to bet. Betting is an opening wager. Folding is when you pull out of a hand by passing or ‘folding’ your cards. You are also able to raise and call; raising is simply increasing a previous bet and calling is matching the bet another person has made.

After the first round of betting has ended then three cards are dealt facing upwards in the middle of the table. This is what is known as the flop

All cards located in the centre of the table are known as community cards. Community cards are needed to build you hand; the types of hands will be explained later on in the guide.

[Image: w7ZxT8n.jpg]
The flop. Three cards are present in the centre of the table.

The Middle of the Game
After the flop there is another round of betting and at the conclusion of this round another card is dealt faceup in the centre of the table. This is known as the turn.

[Image: LhnJJhn.jpg]
The turn. A fourth card is dealt in the centre of the table.

Another round of betting commences and the final card is dealt; this is called the river. A final round of betting begins once the river is dealt.

[Image: xMyF8Bx.jpg]
The river. A final card is dealt in the centre of the table.

Using your own two cards and the five cards in the centre of the table your hand is constructed, however, only five of these cards can be used to make your hand.

Here is an example, if your hole cards were 7-7 and the community cards are 7-7-10-2-4 then you have four-of-a-kind. Yet, if the community cards are 2-4-6-9-J then you only have a pair of sevens.

On occasions, your best hand is made up of solely the community cards. For instance, they might be 5-5-5-5-Q and you have 7-7 then your cards would not play as the community cards make up a four-of-a-kind which is of higher value than a pair.

The End of the Game
A game of poker ends in two ways. Firstly, at the end of the last betting round, all players in a hand will turn over their hole cards and the player who has the strongest hand will win. Revealing your cards in this manner is known as a showdown.

Another way a game can end is when all but one player folds; this could occur when someone raises to a large amount. This proves that you don't always need a strong hand to win.

Poker Hands
A hand is made up of five cards. Poker has several categories of hands and, at a showdown, the player with the highest-ranked hand wins. Here is a list of hands starting from the strongest.

Royal Flush
[Image: G7bicGm.png]
A royal flush is an ace high straight flush. For example, A-K-Q-J-10 all of diamonds.

Straight Flush
[Image: IYDY9KD.png]
A straight flush is a five-card straight, all in the same suit. For example, 7-6-5-4-3 all of clubs.

Four-of-a-kind
[Image: hf1DXHP.png]
Four of a kind, or quads, are four cards of equal value. For example, four jacks.

Full House
[Image: FUpeGk8.png]
A full house contains a set (3) of cards of one value and a pair of another value. For example, Q-Q-Q-2-2.

Flush
[Image: oUsLtOJ.png]
A flush is any 5 cards, all of the same suit. For example, K-Q-9-6-3 all of diamonds.

Straight
[Image: X4tk0s9.png]
Five cards of sequential value. Every possible straight will contain either a 5 or a 10. For example, 7-6-5-4-3 with different suits.

Three-of-a-kind
[Image: vNSzYwL.png]
Three cards of the same value. For example, three aces.

Two Pairs
[Image: ZEV3WUO.png]
This is two cards of one value and another two cards of another value. For example, two jacks and two 8s.

Pair
[Image: 5IsAm30.png]
One pair is two cards of the same rank. For example, two queens.

High Card
[Image: XeTyfFh.png]
The hand with the highest card(s) wins. If two or more players hold the highest card, a kicker comes into play (see below).

Ties and Kickers
Using five out of the seven cards (the community cards plus your hole cards) you must make the best five-card hand. When there is a tie between two players with a four-of-a-kind, three-of-a-kind, two pairs, one pair or high card, a kicker comes into play in order to decide who wins.

Here is an example:

Player 1's strongest cards:                                                 Player 2's strongest cards:
            [Image: 8T2WvN4.png]                                            [Image: tWj1Hs2.png]             

Here Player 1 would win as their kicker card (Queen) is higher than Player 2's kicker card (4).

In the case of three-of-a-kind, one pair or high card tie, several kicker cards may need to be used. In the event that the kickers cannot decide who wins then the players involved will have to split the pot.

Poker Etiquette

Do
  • Act decisively, if you stall then it only makes you appear weak to your opponents as you'll seem to lack confidence.
  • Respond in a polite manner to others but remain focused.
  • Keep a positive attitude as it will seem that luck is on your side.
Don't
  • Tell others about your level of experience, especially by commenting on other people's play.
  • Give away your emotional state. Poker face = poker keyboard.
  • Chat in all capitals, you'll seem a bit crazy.
--
Remember: If chat is distracting you, filter it out.

Images from www.partypoker.com
+support a lot more effort than I could be arsed putting into mine
Update: Added a fun fact at the beginning regarding why the terms 'flop', 'turn' and 'river' are used. Definitions of 'check', 'bet', 'fold', 'raise' and 'call' have been included.
u forgot 2 mention that pair of 3s is best hand in poker, win erytim
(Aug 4, 2016, 05:27 PM)Tails Wrote: [ -> ]u forgot 2 mention that pair of 3s is best hand in poker, win erytim

I personally prefer to win by bluffing with no hand.
(Aug 4, 2016, 05:31 PM)Lord Octagon Wrote: [ -> ]
(Aug 4, 2016, 05:27 PM)Tails Wrote: [ -> ]u forgot 2 mention that pair of 3s is best hand in poker, win erytim

why would you bring a buffalo to the table

just noticed you copied all of the hands from https://www.partypoker.com/how-to-play/h...kings.html

u lier, i copied that guide first how could you
(Aug 4, 2016, 06:12 PM)Tails Wrote: [ -> ]

just noticed you copied all of the hands from https://www.partypoker.com/how-to-play/h...kings.html

Sourced it at the bottom of the guide Wink. I needed consistent pictures but credit has been given where due.
(Aug 4, 2016, 06:55 PM)Lord Octagon Wrote: [ -> ]
(Aug 4, 2016, 06:12 PM)Tails Wrote: [ -> ]

Sourced it at the bottom of the guide Wink. I needed consistent pictures but credit has been given where due.

ah fair enough, I was too lazy to read that far down so didn't notice, good guide anyways
Big thanks. Now I can bet my money away
Stickied, thank you for the useful guide!
Fixed the images after a recent forum update.