Limelight Forums

Full Version: [EU Rockford] Gone/Offline?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just wondering why EU Rockford was removed on the IP: 151.80.33.230:27015, after on the business announcement thread it was announced by Faustie and I quote:

Quote:We've kept the US server up despite its player-base struggling for a couple of reasons. Firstly, we still have enough money to cover all of our assets and also encourage development, but it's true that the US server is a money drain right now. That said, a second dedicated server does provide us with excellent immediate redundancy in case there's a major issue with the EU box.

We've also noted the amount of players who have been campaigning for a more active US server, and who get upset when people recommend shutting it off. We still would like to bring CityRP 2 to a wider US audience, but of course, without the numbers and the people willing to get on there even with a low player-count, that'll be difficult. 

We're constantly reviewing this sort of stuff, and we'll probably have a very in-depth review (which will include getting your opinions) of that soon, alongside the next expenditure reports - these were delayed as there was a surprising amount we had to sort out in regards to the above announcement. We've taken steps to further ensure the security and legal protection in quite a few areas, especially in development. Because of that, there's been little time left over to sort these individual reports.
Which practically states the community opinion will be presented on the US server, but removing the EU Rockford with out any call after having more population that the US Rockford. Game Tracker stats show EU Rockford having a average of 3 population per month while US server only having 1 per month as well as EU Rockford having a much higher Game Tracker rank than the US server.
Source: EU US

/rant
Note: Posted in help and support for the reason, could be moved to discussion.

TLBig GrinR Why was EU Rockford removed without any input and for what reason?
Are they trying to get rid of the EU one in hopes that Rockford US becomes more popular?
(Jul 8, 2016, 12:30 AM)GRiiM Wrote: [ -> ]Are they trying to get rid of the EU one in hopes that Rockford US becomes more popular?
Maybe?

BUT, there was a suggestion thread on it:
https://limelightgaming.net/forums/thread-10196.html

Stomm does have a point in the suggestion thread, in that it was originally a temporary server.

Also,
(Jul 8, 2016, 01:26 AM)WildDorito Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul 8, 2016, 12:30 AM)GRiiM Wrote: [ -> ]Are they trying to get rid of the EU one in hopes that Rockford US becomes more popular?
Maybe?

BUT, there was a suggestion thread on it:
https://limelightgaming.net/forums/thread-10196.html

Stomm does have a point in the suggestion thread, in that it was originally a temporary server.

Also,

I know about the suggestion but nothing was said about EU Rockford being removed and only a few weeks ago we were told that community inputs would be taken in but what it seems like now they have removed EU Rockford without even announcing it at all when the EU Rockford doesn't cost anything at all to run to be honest while the US Dedi that has average of 1 player per month is costing LimeLight £200 a month as well as Faustie stating that the US Server has come to a dead end and a review is happening on it.
(Jul 8, 2016, 08:49 AM)PaulB Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul 8, 2016, 01:26 AM)WildDorito Wrote: [ -> ]- Snip -

I know about the suggestion but nothing was said about EU Rockford being removed and only a few weeks ago we were told that community inputs would be taken in but what it seems like now they have removed EU Rockford without even announcing it at all when the EU Rockford doesn't cost anything at all to run to be honest while the US Dedi that has average of 1 player per month is costing LimeLight £200 a month as well as Faustie stating that the US Server has come to a dead end and a review is happening on it.

I see what you are saying. Limited numbers on the US server means that the server is draining the LL bank account and creating a waste of time.
I mean, EU people could go on and populate it to try and increase the general population on it. Or even host an event on the US server to encourage people to join. The US server was a large benefit to me, as I don't have to play with 400+ ping all the time on EU servers. It allows me to relieve myself of the stress of 400+ ping driving and other activities. To see it go would be sad and i'm not even sure i'd return. But if you believe that the US server is a waste of money, then that's your opinion. In my opinion, the US server is something I like to have fun on, to enjoy myself, to be able to actually participate in SWAT fights and not crash around every corner.
The server was removed until future time when the playerbase can allow for it. As it stood now, no one ever went on it, aside from the occasional player or 2. We felt, since this server was meant to mostly be a temporary server till US Rockford came back, was long overdue for a shutdown and did not require a user input. The only reason we have that user input wasn't needed was because....well...no one got on it and actually used it. What's the point of keeping an empty server. We apologize for any inconvenience towards the players that wished the server to stay open, but trust us when we say, we had reasons.
Thanks for the reply but I got a few questions to add:
1) Why wasn't their a public announcement of removing the server with a reason behind it?
2) What's happening with US Server?
3) We were told by Faustie we would get a vote or something on the matter but one night to see the server removed without any reason posted seems like people wanted to remove it with out people noticing, why?
There was no underhand conspiracy to remove it quietly and secretly.

As previously mentioned, the EU server was a temporary thing which overstayed its welcome: it was not updated and was never intended to be permanent unless it was proved to be "really successful". It has not done that.

We have threads about various topics in the Admin Lounge. In the interest of transparency, titles include 'EU server', and 'ALMOST DUE: US server'.

All of these are discussed internally and when a conclusion is reached, we act on it. There's no need to announce each change we make, especially with this server which was a Temp which was never intended to be permanent unless the playerbase proved two EU servers were needed.
Furthermore, there was no need to delay it. It's one server in a region which has another server. I don't have access to statistics so I can't back up my points, but I'm sure spmeone who does can show that the numbers didn't show much promise.

The US server is being discussed as mentioned above. It has two aces over the away Rockford: it's a permanent server, and it opens the door for American based players.
I get your point Safira but the EU Server had more players than the US server, people used to play EU Rockford as it offered amazing FPS compared to v33x, for it to be removed without even a word being said until I made this thread is what I'm getting at, we were told by Faustie community input would be gathered.
What I'll  stress to you is that it's not a EU vs US competition.
It's not a case of having one open and not the other. They're separate entities.

Comparing EU numbers to US numbers is fruitless, as it's not a direct comparison. We had the two servers open for different reasons; see my above post for expansion.

As I said, I don't have any figures so I can't do much besides what I've done. Last thing we need is a rally of opposing sides so I'll leave this as my final note and let someone else take over.
So if numbers don't matter, why not just keep the EU Rockford open then?
If you want to play on Rockford, get on the US server.

Just like how Americans get on v33x when we want to. Don't worry about ping, worry about what you like better.
(Jul 8, 2016, 11:51 PM)Stomm Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to play on Rockford, get on the US server.

Just like how Americans get on v33x when we want to. Don't worry about ping, worry about what you like better.

Would like to see US people actually getting on US Rockford rather than wanting EU people to populate it.
Another thing killing the Rockford population is that there is usually something wrong.

Bugs that go unfixed for weeks cause people to give up and play v33x, then they finally get fixed, but then a new update comes out and for some reason it isn't implemented on Rockford, so people go to v33x to use it.

Rockford was finally working fine, then for whatever reason the map changed to v1b from v2b and now it's missing stuff again. It almost seems like certain people are intentionally screwing with the American server to kill it off....
limelit conspriacy stories with stommedy
Pages: 1 2