Limelight Forums

Full Version: [Sour Talk] The Examination Season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: 6672ca34faef55b4afcd116bb196d1c77b8a2f3c_full.jpg]

_______Sour Talks_______
The Examination Season

What are these "Sour Talks" threads about?

So, As a lot of the older members of the community know, I have been having it rough not longg in the back and I have been looking to keep positivity of not only myself but others as I have been trying to support others who I call friends or people I care for which are suffering from depression and more and I remember when I was doing things in schools, I got many mental bricks into my mind. I have decided to start writing threads like this so we can give luck or even discuss things to support each other as part of a community because without positivty or happiness in the world, life and seem a really dark and depressing place. I know this and I still see it like this for a long time so I thought we could have discussions with these "Sour Talks" and remember what it use to be like for people or what it is in that case for people who are like 194919 years old...
*cough cough* SirWulf *cough cough*

Sour Talk: The Examination Season

So as most people know. We are at that time of year when people are doing their examinations preparing for them and it's that moment when the people are awaiting for the moment where they carry their final year results in hand that will walk down with them for the rest of their lives...

What do you think?
How did you feel about them?
What was it like back in your day? *cough cough* SirWulf *cough cough*

And I think we all need to say Good Luck to everybody currently taking their examination this year!
Tbh GCSE's are hard work. Especially since my year is the first year to be doing the 'new' system.
I've only been doing modules this year, so exams counting as 25%, 45%, 50% of my final grades; Here's the rundown:

English Literature: Not really sure how that went to be honest, I didn't use anything outside of the passage given but added a lot of knowledge about it, may just about scrape a B.

English Language: Done that today, got personal writing down on time, struggled on multi-modal questions and never got the presentational devices done in required time, however I may also scrape a C hopefully.

Maths: Found it similar to the mock maths exam I sat the week before, hoping to get around the same grade which is B.

Roll on August! (Not really Sad )
Meh, my exams got me into college. The way I looked at exams was 'meh, if i fail, i fail'. Not the way you should look at it but I thought its not the best idea to go around stressing so I adopted the YOLO tactic and didn't revise. My outlook on exams and revisions isn't the best if you want to be a doctor or someone clever, but for me. It worked.

A week ago I passed my second you of my Motor Vehicles course, and passed each exam for. I revised from my college exams as they're on things I actually enjoy, unlike school.
Gotta love it
I've just passed my second year of college. I've been studying Motor vehicle for the past two years now. After I completed my exams I did get an offer to go to sixth form, I declined it and didn't regret it. My GCSE exams weren't the best. I didn't revise, I found it pointless and stressful. I opted for the stressfree route of exams, which is not revision at all apart from when forced to-do in lessons. It got me by and got me into college which made me happy. My exams results weren't amazing but they was ok. A decent level. Apart from my F in Religious Education, but lets not go there.

I know this sounds hard to do, but the less you stress the easier you'll find. People cope with stress in many different ways, and my was just not to-do the thing that made me stress, lol. Don't stress to hard, as you can sometimes have the option to re-do exams when you get to college at GCSE level. My college offers things such as maths and english at GCSE level for people to resit.
I'd be proud of an F in religious education.

Anyways I'm starting my A2 exams in Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics in 2 weeks. Not stressing too much since I'm pretty confident about my current level and ability to get the grades needed for my university offer.
(Jun 2, 2016, 01:58 AM)Overlewd Wrote: [ -> ]I'd be proud of an F in religious education.

Anyways I'm starting my A2 exams in Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics in 2 weeks. Not stressing too much since I'm pretty confident about my current level and ability to get the grades needed for my university offer.

I'm guessing by those choices you wanna do something along the medica line of work?
(Jun 2, 2016, 11:10 AM)Python Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 2, 2016, 01:58 AM)Overlewd Wrote: [ -> ]I'd be proud of an F in religious education.

I'm guessing by those choices you wanna do something along the medica line of work?
That was the original plan. I have since decided to do chemistry with an incline to pharmaceutical chemistry.
(Jun 2, 2016, 11:32 AM)Overlewd Wrote: [ -> ]

That was the original plan. I have since decided to do chemistry with an incline to pharmaceutical chemistry.

You make me SICK! Chemistry is so bleugh, I regret choosing it for GCSE, although I did get a B in a mock exam it's still eh
I just finished year 13 and passed music

Working every day until June 11th on the years 2nd biggest show which I'm graded on for sound
(Jun 2, 2016, 07:23 PM)Mustang Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jun 2, 2016, 11:32 AM)Overlewd Wrote: [ -> ]

You make me SICK! Chemistry is so bleugh, I regret choosing it for GCSE, although I did get a B in a mock exam it's still eh

I took chem through my A2s along with maths and biology; realized it wasn't quite for me, especially as I struggled in the exams. Still have to do some now, but I'm much happier doing mech/aero engineering - more maths, physics, design, and computing; less chemistry. 

Don't worry too much about your exams. Do your best, but if your best isn't that great, you shouldn't worry too much. Networking is much more important than exams once you're in work; a few years down the line, your GCSE/AS/A2 results won't even matter.
I find exams don't matter so much, I mean they can be nice to have but they're not necessary I've nearly finished Level 2 IT and my exams didn't contribute anything to me while I was in school, I did Functional Skills and they were such a waste of my time. But now I'm finding myself being forced to do GCSEs come September, which will just waste more of my time where I could be doing stuff beneficial to my main course but nope I gotta do like 5 exams which are completely useless to me.
in my humble opinion, GCSEs are harder than whatever further exams you take. (Generally)
Why?
Because you're still doing subjects which you hate.
And because pretty much every single person in the UK or in a British school does the exact same subjects pretty much, competition is real.
"Cousin X got 8 As and 2 Bs in his GCSEs!"
So now I can afford to get 1 B (fuck you, Chemistry).

I'm not gonna do A Levels though. They're too concentrated and linear, I would much prefer a syllabus which is open. That's why imma do IB - International Baccalaureate, if you don't know.

Universities in the Russell Group (the British equivalent of Ivy League universities you could say) do look at your GCSEs. They look at whether you're a shitty person or not. And since I'm in 'that' kind of community where academic excellence isn't just wished for, but rather expected, I'm doing what I can to not fuck up.
There's kids in my school getting Ds and Es because they couldn't be fucked to study. Yeah, I get that 'exams don't define your intelligence and exams are bad and fuck the system', but if you're going to spend your time getting smashed and doing fuck all instead of picking up a book, I cannot wait to see what'll happen to you once you get out of school.
I do finals in my sleep.

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Sort of the "fuck the system" argument from theoretical physicist Albert Einstein. Words to live by in my opinion.
Pages: 1 2