Limelight Forums

Full Version: Driving school
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So,

Had my first driving lesson today (scary af, took me hour to relax from that adrenaline). Only thing that was hard for me was the gearswitch and the gears AND the hill start.. Driving is very simple, keep a speed and go along the road. But the
gearswitch.

I'll have to all this stuff tomorrow again.
So share your experiences!
On Tuesday is my 4th Lesson, So far I have done hill starts and needing to know how many RPMs you need to get going, done some odd bends/roads. Also gear switching is easy after a while, I just need to get used to doing it without looking. Overall though so far so good, I need to revise for my theory test.
I took Drivers Ed through my High School with 2 of my best friends. Our driving instructor had known my sister and had both of my friends as students, so it was always pretty easy going and fun.

Couple of notable incidents-

1) One of our "lessons" included how to "properly" go through a drive-thru. (Whoo free food)
2) Instructor was just giving random directions early on as we're taking these back country roads, and ends up getting us almost stuck in the mud trying to turn around to avoid a flooded crick.
3) I gave it to much gas, uphill, while stopped on a damp road. I squealed the tires on accident. He was not happy,
Had my first lesson last week, it went pretty well. Driving instructor said it couldn't have gone better. Had a two stalled moments though, one when first trying it and once on a mini round about... recovered quickly though.
Pro tips. Understand that your operating a machine that can kill yourself and other. Don't drive aggressively, but no one likes when grandma drives 10 less than the speed limit on a sunny day. If you live somewhere where it snows a lot (I'm from Canada), drive 5 -10 less than the limit, accelerate easy, and never, eeeeeeeeeeever slam on the brakes. Also, for your drivers test shoulder check everything.
I got my license on Friday. Got 3 points marked off for accelerating to 3 over the limit...
When I was in Drivers Ed, I almost T-boned a guy which would have auto failed me and made me retake the whole course (I was 5 lessons in). However it wasn't my fault so my instructor didn't care too much. Guy had the audacity to wave at me like I let him pull in front of me.
Some tips from someone who has driven many miles over the years-

-Those corners will get ya in bad weather. Slow down a lot more than normal when theres even a chance of it being wet/icy/slick/whatever
-Never be the leader in horrible weather. Odds are at some point in your life you'll find yourself in a horrible downpour or snowstorm. You don't want to be the leader. Even if you think "These guys are going way too slow" once you get out in front you'll realize why they were doing 50 under the limit.
-Flooded roads are REALLY hard to see at night. Especially in a city that you don't know and that just got hit by the 2nd EF5 tornado in a month. (Yay horrible experiences in OKC)
-Lights on for safety. It may not seem like much, but even if I'm not required to, I like keeping my headlights on whenever I drive. It's not to help me see, but to help other drivers see me.
-Put the phone away,
-PUT THE FUCKING PHONE AWAY
-MOTHERFUCKER GODDAMMIT PUT THAT CELL PHONE AWAY BEFORE I SHOVE IT UP YOUR ASS AND OUT YOUR GODDAMN MOUTH
-Don't take your eyes off the road to screw with controls. Familiarize yourself with the controls and get the major things setup before you hit the road. One of my sister's friend's nailed a bridge when she took her eyes off the road to change the radio.
-No, seriously, eyes on the road.
-Racing is for the track.
-Don't be that idiot weaving through traffic at 20 over. Just don't.
-Don't be that idiot speeding excessively ever. Even if you're the best goddamn driver in the world, you never know when a drunk 130 year old blind woman is going to appear out of nowhere in her 1990 Buick Century.
-Never drive at your limits on public roads. You need to be able to react to unexpected situations.

Remember- you're never as good as you think you are, and assume everyone around you is an idiot. Even if you know how to control that massive metal contraption, doesn't mean the people around you can.
Its easy to drive manual car , trust me , after few days u ride like a pro
Controlling the car is easy, looking around and paying attention to the environment, dangers and whatnot are the hardest part of driving.
Lol what are you all talking about just use W, A, S and D
(Jun 2, 2016, 01:40 PM)Maniac Wrote: [ -> ]Controlling the car is easy, looking around and paying attention to the environment, dangers and whatnot are the hardest part of driving.

Its not hard mate , after some years its automatic
Automatic cars are much easier to Use, no unexpected shutdowns for not changing the velocity pack, and With just one or 2 moves of the lever, youre fine
I got my license on Auto, driving school was a bit on the expensive side for me, but i did about 5 lessons with my instructor, as well as a "Safe Drivers Course" which gave me 20 hours.
To be honest, im not the biggest fan of manual transmission, because I can't multitask. I'd prefer sequential, because it's like the best of both worlds, without the hassle of a clutch, but you still need to change the gears yourself.
(Jul 11, 2016, 03:46 AM)WildDorito Wrote: [ -> ]I got my license on Auto, driving school was a bit on the expensive side for me, but i did about 5 lessons with my instructor, as well as a "Safe Drivers Course" which gave me 20 hours.
To be honest, im not the biggest fan of manual transmission, because I can't multitask. I'd prefer sequential, because it's like the best of both worlds, without the hassle of a clutch, but you still need to change the gears yourself.

Mate full manual its more easy to drive , when you learn its basic automatic , not to mention its more funny to drive it
Pages: 1 2